YesNoOk

SuperMario spritesheet (Read 13123 times)

Started by ShinSamus, January 02, 2017, 09:01:30 pm
Share this topic:
SuperMario spritesheet
New #1  January 02, 2017, 09:01:30 pm
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
  • Christian / Artist / INFP personality
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/ShinSamus
SuperMario by ShinSamus and NeoAnkh
(My old alias was ShinRyoga)

Hello everyone! I forgot that after closing my DeviantArt page, it also would have deleted my SuperMario sprites. I re-uploaded them as a color-indexed PNG, as well as a transparency-backed PNG. I also upscaled the SuperMario & SuperLuigi VS screen portraits.

These are all free to use however you would like. All I ask in return is for credit if my artwork is used. Thanks for bringing me some joy over the past 15 years, and for helping me stay alive. I maybe wouldn't still be here if it hadn't been for the encouragement I received from all of you way back then. :)

Here you go! Have fun with them! ^_^

Color-indexed PNG:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Transparent PNG:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:17:48 pm by ShinSamus
Re: SuperMario spritesheet
#2  January 02, 2017, 09:29:47 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Hello Ailynn! Thanks for sharing your Super Mario spritesheet! It's a real slice of classic Mugen if you ask me!
But when I download the sheet from your shared album, then open it, I seem to be presented by a jpeg sheet :(
(the file says .png, but the quality of the sprites is not crisp and clear at all, but blurry and smudgy like a jpeg sprite).
Any change of uploading it differently? Google Photo's ain't that great, it seems.
Spoiler: Here's a screenshot of a section of the sheet, the whole sheet looks like this: (click to see content)
#3  January 02, 2017, 09:52:31 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
WOW. You're really ShinRyoga? Holy crap. Really cool to hear from the artist of Super Mario. Thanks a lot for the amazing handdrawn art for him. I'm a bit curious what the Super Flame is referencing?

And thanks a ton for the official release of his spritesheet.
#4  January 02, 2017, 10:01:38 pm
  • Your Average MFG Forum Member
  • As Seen on Youtube
    • Brazil
    • Skype - iago-moraes
    • www.youtube.com/user/yagoshi300
Spoiler: Here's the backup (click to see content)

Homina Homina Homina
#5  January 03, 2017, 01:05:02 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Kinda sad you never made an awesome Luigi with his own unique sprites and moveset.  But, it's awesome that you released Mario's spriteset.  Thank you very much for providing this to all MUGEN users.
#6  January 03, 2017, 02:58:28 am
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
Yo, that's fuckin' cool... Glad to see you around here today, and welcome back (better a late greeting than not greeting I guess... heh).
New #7  January 03, 2017, 03:47:40 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
Balthazar: Oh wow, THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D I had no idea Google Photos corrupted the image quality so badly. I have updated the first post with new hosted images through Imgur. No reduction in quality now! (Also, if anyone just want to look at the sprites, I recommend the one with the transparent background. That bright pink is killer on the eyes.)

MR. IBZS II: Aww, thank you so very much! And yeah, I used to go by ShinRyoga a long time ago...long story short, I denied who I felt I was supposed to be since I was around 4 years old, and went through about 18 years of intense depression trying to be what others expected of me. I am no longer doing that...and feeling much happier as a result. :) Oh, and Mario's flame column was just a weird idea I had about if the Flame Power within him erupted out due to rage overtaking him (which tied into his nightmare-induced ending story a bit.)

Yagoshi300: Thanks for the backup! We can update that backup with the new version of the spritesheet if you want! :)

TheSuddenRarity: I know...I always regretted now getting to make a SuperLuigi with his own moveset. I would have loved to make him have electrical attacks and use his Poltergust 5000 in some interesting way, but I had no programmers, and no free time to create the sprites. I hated never getting to create KingBowser and SamusAran, too. I had SO many awesome ideas for them :(

TheFclass97: Thank you so much! It's good to be back in the community again. ^_^
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:02:46 pm by ShinSamus
#8  January 03, 2017, 04:03:37 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Hmmmm... Wow. 18 years and going through all of that... Must have been ROUGH.

I really meant what gave you the idea for the Super Flame hyper? I don't think I've ever seen any other Mario in Mugen carry a move like that.
New #9  January 03, 2017, 05:03:25 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
It certainly was very difficult at times, but I'm thankful I came through all that depression and feeling much happier now. :)

Oh, sorry! I remember my goal at the time was to make Mario into a surprisingly tough character. (This was back when everyone was making characters trying to out-cheap each other....ridiculously overpowered characters like Broli were pretty common.) I can't really remember what gave me the idea for that one, other than it was like he overflowed with firepower to the breaking point and it just exploded. Actually, come to think of it...I think it was an animation experiment I wanted to try. I never was happy with the way it turned out...ESPECIALLY the flame pillar in the back. It looks so lame now to me.

I still think sometimes about what Mario could have been if we made him high-definition. I was always so frustrated by the limited sprite size...especially when I was trying to create SamusAran. I would have done the entire process differently now. For example, below is a HD sprite from a game I'm working on. I think Samus could have been a beautiful project if I had attempted something similar for her back then...but was the engine able to handle something like that? I seems to remember the sprites were all limited to 256 colors.
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:01:22 pm by ShinSamus
#10  January 03, 2017, 08:04:56 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
With MUGEN 1.1 now, colors are less limited.  Hell, you can make characters much more easily without having to apply palettes, as far as I know.  Sprites don't even need an invisible color for the background either.

And concerning HD sprites, although not a fan of them, I'd still enjoy seeing something from you again, since your Mario was one of the best around MUGEN.  So much so it got CvS resprite edits and got into a (now defunct) "Capcom Vs." MUGEN fangame by SeanAltly, who since retried a while ago.
#11  January 03, 2017, 08:32:43 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Also, lots of edits made by Japanese creators to make Super Mario/Super Luigi extremely cheap, but radically different characters.
#12  January 04, 2017, 06:18:19 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
Aww, thanks! So, it sounds like M.U.G.E.N may have improved vastly since way back then...that's awesome! Also, I just saw some of those SuperMario/Luigi edits. Pretty interesting stuff! :)
#13  January 04, 2017, 03:25:06 pm
    • USA
Aww, thanks! So, it sounds like M.U.G.E.N may have improved vastly since way back then...that's awesome! Also, I just saw some of those SuperMario/Luigi edits. Pretty interesting stuff! :)

Yeah, Mugen has improved a lot while you were away. Heck, Ikemen is making good progress. So Mugen is making steps to be a game that can be played online.

Also... yeah, never thought I'd see you around. While I was still a lurker, I was always impressed with Super Mario. Even now, I'd say your work aged rather well. The shading is still good. And the animations are pretty smooth.

But anyway, enough gushing from me. Good luck with your future endeavors.
#14  January 07, 2017, 03:16:17 am
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
    • USA
Hey, thanks! I appreciate the kind words. :)

Thanks for the information everyone! I have responsibilities for the game(s) I'm working on right now, but I'm definitely interested in Mugen again for future project possibilities.
Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:23:43 am by AilynnMoore
#15  January 07, 2017, 03:21:25 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Wouldn't say "greatly" improved... But at least there's zoom for stages palette improvements, and .png sprite stuff now in 1.1.