YesNoOk

[Tutorial] How to add downloaded Chars into Mugen (Read 34578 times)

Started by Ultra_Knightz, November 21, 2006, 12:55:00 am
Share this topic:
[Tutorial] How to add downloaded Chars into Mugen
#1  November 21, 2006, 12:55:00 am
Getting Winmugen

1. First, you need Winmugen. Download Winmugen at http://unofficial-winmugen.jpn.org/. Download the first one. Then download the patch... Then it asks you a question.... click yes... then enter your mugen folder. Check the box that asks you if you want to delete the old backup files. Now you got M.U.G.E.N.

Getting a Character

2. First download a character. We'll try Sora. You can download it at http://www.mugenguild.net/~bane84/sora.html. Save to desktop... ~Wow, alot of files at desktop... it'll make it easier if you have winrar. ~ Put all those programs in a folder. You sholud name it Sora. ~If it is already contains a folder, then ignore what i just said. Just don't ignore the -rename it Sora- part. So you got Sora and you know where it is. Put it in your  MUGEN folder. Then click on your MUGEN folder and put the Sora in the char folder. Almost done! Don't rush and play winmugen yet!

Playing your Character

3. Go to the folder called data in your Winmugen folder. If you did what I told you to do in step 1 (Getting Winmugen) you should have a file called select.def. If it's called backup (select.def) you did step 1 wrong and need to redo it. ~If you did step 1 wrong, put your charactar in another folder and delete Winmugen and redownload it. Also redownload the patch. One common mistake is not checking the Delete all old Files box.~

So... you have now opened your select.def. Go back to your Winmugen folder and click on chars, and you should SEE the Sora folder. Right click- rename - don't rename it, but copy and paste. Then click somewhere else to go back to oringinal stuff. Now... go back to your select.def. Scroll all the way down. It sholud look like this:

[Options]
 ;Here you set the maximum number of matches to fight before game ends
 ;in Arcade Mode. The first number is the number of matches against
 ;characters with order=1, followed by order=2 and order=3 respectively.
 ;For example, for 4,3,1 you will fight up to 4 randomly-picked
 ;characters who have order=1, followed by 3 with order=2 and 1 with
 ;order=3.
arcade.maxmatches = 6,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

;Maximum number of matches to fight before game ends in Team Mode.
 ;Like arcade.maxmatches, but applies to Team Battle.
team.maxmatches = 4,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like that right? Good Job. You are almost done! You are still at your Select.def folder, right? Look at the top part of the select.def. You sholud see this:

;        kfm, stages/mybg.def, music=sound/song.mp3
 ;        kfm, stages/mybg.def, music=sound/song.mp3, includestage=0
 ;        kfm, stages/mybg.def, order=3
 ;
 ;You can also add a randomize icon to the select screen. To do
 ;this, put the word "randomselect" on a line of its own, with no
 ;extra parameters.
 ;
 ;Insert your characters below.

kfm, stages/kfm.def
kfm, stages/kfm.def
kfm, stages/kfm.def

-------------
okay... now copy and paste Sora at the bottom of the third kfm, stages/kfm.def
It sholud look like this:
--------------------------------
;Insert your characters below.

kfm, stages/kfm.def
kfm, stages/kfm.def
kfm, stages/kfm.def
Sora
--------------------------------
Okay. You are almost done... (I've said this a couple times, but for real this time)
Save the file and quit the select.def.

Play Winmugen right now. Go to arcade mode. You sholud see Sora there. If you don't... grrrr.... start back at step 1... not hard directions really...
So you see Sora there. Click on char, sora, and click readme... well, that basically tells Sora's moves. Well, you have just got to use a charactar.

Getting your OWN charactars and Error:char not there

Well, you learned how to choose ur charactar. Now you get your OWN charactar.
In case you didnt know... you can get alot of those charactars right here:

http://www.mugenguild.com/ OR http://randomselect.piiym.net

Scroll all the way to the bottom. Ignore the PayPal and MFG Forum (you get to donate later.. its learning time right now) and focus at the lazy dog.. walt... banes... etc. bannres. You sholud loook at every one of them! Each site has lots of chars. There are also lots of stages, but ur not learning how to get ur own stage here...

So... you got ur own char.. but you did what i told u to do.. and still doesnt work. The reason is because the FOLDER and the [BLAH BLAH BLAH].DEF has to MATCH!!!!
Okay... you don't know what that means. For example your folder name is ShinAkuma and your -whatever-.def is shinakumax.def. Change ur .def to ShinAkuma. (capitalization matters... so does -,:,",etc....Letters matter too) It sholud appear like this

Folder's name:ShinAkuma
Defination's name:ShinAkuma

Okay that's what it means by MATCHING!!!

Another reason that your char isn't on the selecting menu is because there is a FOLDER in a FOLDER!!!For example.. your folder's name is ShinAkuma and there is a  folder called Color in it. Some files are in Color. Copy and paste all the files in Color into ShinAkuma. Then, delete Cikir

Credits- Mugen guild, and practically made this all by myself...
Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:18:59 pm by Ultra_Knightz
Re: [Tutorial] How to add downloaded Chars into Mugen
#2  November 22, 2006, 10:04:13 am
  • MUGEN is so fun I hate it.
    • ememe.pl
Good job.

Just a thought - put stuff like this:

[Options]
 ;Here you set the maximum number of matches to fight before game ends
 ;in Arcade Mode. The first number is the number of matches against
 ;characters with order=1, followed by order=2 and order=3 respectively.
 ;For example, for 4,3,1 you will fight up to 4 randomly-picked
 ;characters who have order=1, followed by 3 with order=2 and 1 with
 ;order=3.
arcade.maxmatches = 6,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

;Maximum number of matches to fight before game ends in Team Mode.
 ;Like arcade.maxmatches, but applies to Team Battle.
team.maxmatches = 4,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

into quotes.
#3  November 24, 2006, 06:51:41 am
  • Fuck Windows 8!!!! I use adult OSes to work!!!
    • Mexico
Just a question... waht does the patch do? I've downloaded only winmugen exe (quite looooong time ago) and everithing goes just fine, chars work... i have some sound issues but nah! nothing to worry... but what does the patch do?

See ya!!! ;D
This is the era in which we will see reason triumphing against brutality... May be better to open your mind to the future.
------------------------------------------------------
<- [Clicky - Clicky]
Current Universal War Official Artwork
#4  November 24, 2006, 06:49:47 pm
Just a question... waht does the patch do? I've downloaded only winmugen exe (quite looooong time ago) and everithing goes just fine, chars work... i have some sound issues but nah! nothing to worry... but what does the patch do?

See ya!!! ;D
nothing
#5  November 25, 2006, 01:45:38 am
  • duwa duwa
yea i think it updates the information it was for. for example if you have a old ryu downloaded in 2004 and you find out the author made and gave him new data ell give you a oatch which puts the info on your ryu. i :P

like cars in reverse ,  ya better back up
#6  November 25, 2006, 05:55:29 am
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
And...I still don't see what's the use of this. Doesn't anyone read the docs anymore?
#7  November 26, 2006, 12:21:52 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
Newbies are dumber/lazier than before so maybe this might help them... assunming they take the time to actually look for it. (heck they even need videos these days)

@Ultra_Knightz: Hey you can't link to the char page you have to link to the main page.
#8  November 26, 2006, 12:45:27 am
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
@Ultra_Knightz: Hey you can't link to the char page you have to link to the main page.

And yet, the link to the character page is still there.

I honestly don't see why people like Sora so much.  I gave up on him a while ago, and with characters having super armor, that makes him an uber-cheap character.
#9  November 28, 2006, 02:50:50 am

And yet, the link to the character page is still there.

I honestly don't see why people like Sora so much.  I gave up on him a while ago, and with characters having super armor, that makes him an uber-cheap character.
i chose Sora, because the first character i ever added, and the easiest to add (no .def name  change, no folder file copy and pasting, just adding the name to the select file)
#10  November 28, 2006, 03:42:13 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
#11  December 26, 2007, 07:54:03 pm