YesNoOk

Releasing custom intros. Need authors' permissions? (Read 1058 times)

Started by Agnibyte, November 23, 2011, 03:41:16 pm
Share this topic:
Releasing custom intros. Need authors' permissions?
#1  November 23, 2011, 03:41:16 pm
  • Back for a few months.
    • USA
I like intros, so I'm making new ones, like:

(CVS)Dan / (CVS)Ryo - Ryo looks at Dan and covers his face. Dan says "Namen ja neezo!" Ryo looks back at him for a moment and covers his face again.

(CVS)Yuri / (SF3)Makoto - They mirror each other as they kneel away from each other, get up, face each other and say "Shoubucchi! / Shoubu ja!"

Anyway, stuff like that. I've got about 20 planned. Intros make me smile. I have no desire to edit the way a character plays, nor have them in an intro that doesn't make sense, like have Balrog (Claw) throw a rose to Kyo, but I will have him throw one to (KOF)Ash.

My question is, do I need permission from the original authors to share the cns/air/sff files with people if I credit their characters? If so, I'm not going to share them, but I'm still making them for myself. Can't give me a burger and tell me not to add pickles.
Re: Releasing custom intros. Need authors' permissions?
#2  November 23, 2011, 03:49:23 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
In the past you needed permission, these days as long as you credit the original author its all good. Its still good practice and commom courtesy to ask or at least notify the original author.
#3  November 23, 2011, 09:04:18 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
You don't need permission for this regardless, you're releasing an intro, you tell people how to add it to the def. As they're both seperate files if you release a "Ryu" intro, you can put it into any ryu at all rather than a specific one. This means asking permission is a bit of a waste of time based on the number of ryu's out there.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#4  November 24, 2011, 10:14:03 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I don't think he's talking about arcade intros, but more special character specific "interactive" intros, whether done with the chars sprites, or a dialogue SVC style. In both case, this involves SFF/AIR/SND editing.
#5  November 24, 2011, 10:35:56 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
I don't think he's talking about arcade intros, but more special character specific "interactive" intros, whether done with the chars sprites, or a dialogue SVC style. In both case, this involves SFF/AIR/SND editing.
Thats what he means yes
#6  November 24, 2011, 09:58:04 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
In the past you needed permission, these days as long as you credit the original author its all good. Its still good practice and commom courtesy to ask or at least notify the original author.
Agree with him. You can release them as a patch for the characters you edited just released the separate files... and make it a readme with credits to the original author, of course. I did it with Fervicante's Ai, I modified her cns to make her Yuki intro compatible with my Yuki EX, with the proper credit

And since actually community didn't care about release that kind of stuff, you can also release the whole patched character in the case it was offline (I guess)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X