YesNoOk

One day MUGEN will be.......... (Read 3788 times)

Started by rgveda99, March 24, 2019, 11:28:06 am
Share this topic:
One day MUGEN will be..........
#1  March 24, 2019, 11:28:06 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Re: One day MUGEN will be..........
#2  March 24, 2019, 12:15:11 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
[One day MUGEN will be] tournament legal.  :dealwithit:

In what is truly a sign of the times, some gamers are now signing endorsement deals once reserved for the likes of Lebron James and Tom Brady.

Really? I don't see anything in this article you linked that says so. It really only says that very select high schools are being able to have eSports be an actual thing within them (not even in MY home state!). The quote you stated doesn't help either, seeing that it's only talking about sponsors like State Farm for PLAYERS, not the games themselves.

Even THEN I don't think it states if the high school students get to freely CHOOSE what game to play. Not to sound rude or anything, but I don't think this article has anything to do with MUGEN being tourney legal...

(I myself am against such a concept, to be honest...)
#3  March 24, 2019, 01:49:19 pm
Pretty sure if something mugen related hits the scene and goes mainstream Capcom/SNK/whatever will take it down.

#4  March 24, 2019, 02:46:33 pm
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
Pretty sure if something mugen related hits the scene and goes mainstream Capcom/SNK/whatever will take it down.

I was going to point that out, too! Even if it were something entirely original like The Black Heart (or god forbid my OWN game!) it STILL wouldn't work.

I think the main problem with MUGEN being tourney legal (and why I'm against it) is the fact that the places that COULD host them would need money to endorse/keep hosting MUGEN tourneys. Money is a GIANT factor in eSports, from sponsoring to advertisement to cash prizes.

MUGEN is FREEWARE and is highly against monetization, neither to nor fro (unless it's gameplay videos).

It just doesn't sound right to have a FREEWARE game in a monetized space like eSports to me.

I'd be more than glad to have someone argue for tourney-legal MUGEN, though.
#5  March 24, 2019, 03:05:06 pm
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
...ported to the PS2.
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#6  March 26, 2019, 01:05:31 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Lol, the last time I even heard of people setting up mugen for tournament matches was when either DJ-Van or MugenLord (I can't remember, it was one of the two) would show up at some casuals night with a damn laptop and a full EVE roster.

It cracks me up to this day that there was even a time where people like MugenLord were trying to make legitimate webshows and bring laptops to events like they were playing melty blood money matches, but this was in the early YouTube days, like 2006 or 7, when people were watching those speed 8 simul matches at 240p pre-salty bet or Vinny being given a mugen folder to play.
About Tourney-Legal MUGEN...
#7  March 26, 2019, 11:34:10 am
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
Lol, the last time I even heard of people setting up mugen for tournament matches was when either DJ-Van or MugenLord (I can't remember, it was one of the two) would show up at some casuals night with a damn laptop and a full EVE roster. 

That's another thing! I believe that what MUGEN essentially lacks when it comes to adapting already existing characters from various games and tossing them into something like Everyone Vs. Everyone is IDENTITY.

MUGEN is basically anything and everything to people who are willing to put time, effort and dedication into their project, but what does the OUTSIDE see?
  • Do they see an overwhelming roster that's barely even visible, and could lead to an unbalanced game?
  • Do they see a tacked-on set of wacky characters they've never seen before, co-existing with characters from games they've already played?
  • OR do they see something more than all of that? Something way more unique and prefers quality over quantity? Something that doesn't just scream "OH MY WE HAVE 10 BILLION CHARACTERS (with 400 different variations of each character slapped in)"?
This ALONE is why I don't think MUGEN would have a chance to become an eSport. All the popular YouTubers that ever get to playing MUGEN most likely play compilations and overlook the truly original stuff like The Black Heart. It's people like Andrès that I look up to when I'm working on MY project.

Again, quantity has ruled over quality for too long. It's time to fix that, don't you think?

(wait, what was I talking about again?)
#8  March 26, 2019, 11:46:08 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
all of that aside MUGEN is a game engine, not a game, there is no way it could be considered a game and thus wouldn't be eligible to be an eSport lol

if we're talking full games made on the engine, its different, but still wouldnt work due to monetization issues.

also, @Joey S.: I think you're taking the topic too literally, the OP is obviously a joke
#9  March 26, 2019, 12:20:44 pm
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
I think you're taking the topic too literally, the OP is obviously a joke

Hmmm. I very much COULD be, but it's something to consider y'know?

In case it is, I didn't notice and I apologize for that.
#10  March 26, 2019, 12:34:05 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
well yeah, theres not much to discuss otherwise, its just an article about esports
#11  March 26, 2019, 02:41:34 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org

It cracks me up to this day that there was even a time where people like MugenLord were trying to make legitimate webshows and bring laptops to events like they were playing melty blood money matches, but this was in the early YouTube days, like 2006 or 7, when people were watching those speed 8 simul matches at 240p pre-salty bet or Vinny being given a mugen folder to play.

I thought it was Alexlexus who tried that and basically got laughed out of the convention, iirc, or was this a separate incident?
#12  March 26, 2019, 04:02:52 pm
the cool thing about mugen, anyone can make a character for it. the bad thing about mugen, anyone can make a character for it. I know this is a joke post, but mugen has never been taken seriously enough for tournaments because its mostly famous for wacky character youtube matches and salty bets style stuff, and over the top 2v2 or 4v4. I wish it could be considered, but its up to authors to decide that kind of thing. I can only think of something like HyperDBZ that comes even close to that.
#13  March 26, 2019, 10:03:26 pm
    • USA

I thought it was Alexlexus who tried that and basically got laughed out of the convention, iirc, or was this a separate incident?
As far as I remember, he did do that, but I can't remember when, all I remember was the third strike debacle.

But I do recall dj van saying stuff on mugen infantry, but I can't back it up.
#14  March 26, 2019, 10:19:09 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
dead. But seriously, if people have original ideas, MUGEN should be a stepping stone to those idea being legit fighting games (no hate to original full game makers). At this point, MUGEN should be something to be used for fun or to put your ideas to action since the engine itself is super limited.
#15  March 26, 2019, 11:20:40 pm
    • USA
Even with the hard coding, what's been able to be done in terms of near 1:1 conversions can be an argument for legitimate games being made, I mean doujin circles used fighter maker 2k2 to put out games that were sold, and I'm pretty sure enterbrain didn't see it being used for anything more than hobbyism, like in the early rpgmaker titles (its weird saying that now that people sell vx made games on steam).

But hey mugen is the wacky shit engine, and that's what I personally like about it. Maybe jz will be the messiah his fans like to call him and blugen will be a massive step forward and a more malleable engine, who knows.
#16  March 27, 2019, 12:46:49 am
looking forward to unreal fighter 2D engine as my next go to, it looks amazing. Best thing is its using the unreal engine, so you can change anything about the engine (template) anyway to suit your needs. It uses a similar state system like MUGEN, author knows a bit of mugen and ikemen so he implemented these features in his engine to make the transition easy.
#17  March 27, 2019, 12:56:52 am
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
looking forward to unreal fighter 2D engine as my next go to, it looks amazing.

Oh my god, I am too! If I ever make a sequel to my current fullgame, I'll consider switching to that!

ALSO YAY MY 100TH POST!
#18  March 27, 2019, 02:40:26 am
  • That guy that lives behind your house.
    • Canada
Honesty, as cool as that would be, it... probably wouldn’t work.
tyrannosaurus: we’re all gonna die!
triceratops: oh my god i never got to say sorry to my wife, my kids are all the way in the east sleeping in their nest and i wont even be able to see them one last time...god damn it! FUCK THIS WORLD! Why is god so cruel? Why did he do this to me? I regret so much, i lived for so long but I never did anything of meaning with my life, i treated my wife and kids like shit and wasted my years away at a school to get a job i dont even like, to make money to sustain a life a dont enjoy! IM SO SORRY CAROL! GOODBYE, KIDS! FUCK THIS GAY EARTH!
#19  March 27, 2019, 10:28:22 pm
  • Solid V
    • www.mugen-infantry.net/

As far as I remember, he did do that, but I can't remember when, all I remember was the third strike debacle.

But I do recall dj van saying stuff on mugen infantry, but I can't back it up.

Lol I'm surprised anyone remembers that. I'd go to tournaments with mugen because my circle of friends were just casual players. It was great to play people at the tournaments that played other fighting games since they'd pick up the combos for mugen characters fairly quickly. Fighting games are kinda niche and then mugen was another level of niche.

Ironically I was getting rid of some arcade sticks & stuff in storage today and got nostalgic to see what's been going in mugen these past 10 years

Mugen-Infantry - 133G10N
#20  March 28, 2019, 04:20:04 am
    • USA
Oh damn, you probably got that burning sensation when people talk about your behind your back lol.