YesNoOk

Giygas (Read 47664 times)

Started by fhqwhgads7, December 07, 2009, 02:54:39 am
Share this topic:
Giygas
New #1  December 07, 2009, 02:54:39 am
  • Bionic Arm lol
    • sites.google.com/site/illegiblescience/home
Yes, you read that correctly. GIYGAS. The final boss of Earthbound... who needs no introduction to his character.

Just a bunch of screenshots.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Version 1.0.
Version 1.1.
Version 1.2.
Version 1.3.

EDIT: WARNING: May induce seizures. Fight at your own risk.

RE-EDIT: To all you people googling for my Giygas and coming to this topic, the best version is here:
http://fhqwhgads7.webs.com/characters.htm
Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:37:57 am by fhqwhgads7
Re: Giygas
#2  December 07, 2009, 04:25:59 am
haha nice!
#3  December 07, 2009, 04:30:35 am
What?!

*downloads*

UPDATE: Alright, I got to fight him. He's pretty damn hard but overall a really neat character. If there was a Ness, I'd download him and make a vid. You planning on making a matching stage for him?
Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:57:21 am by NickyP
#4  December 07, 2009, 05:42:49 am
  • Bionic Arm lol
A matching stage? I figure it almost doesn't matter since he consumes the entire arena anyway with his cosmic red swirls of doom. If I do, I'll probably just make a blank stage with a pitch black background with absurdly huge boundaries.

Did you beat him on story mode?
#5  December 07, 2009, 05:57:50 am
Almost. Got him out the first round, and then he worked me in the second. After a few tries again with the same result, I gave up.  ;P

Well yeah. He consumes the whole stage and even has the two(?) other battle themes, but if you fight him on any stage with bgm it kinda messes it up. The first time I fought him it was on SFA3 Greece stage, and lemme tell ya; fighting Giygas with greek rap in the background was interesting, to say the least. So yeah, if anything I'd say a simple stage with a background that matches his (maybe even his fetus form), so that it'll work if you fight other characters on that same stage. And, of course, we need this as the bgm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyCZiomOS4
#6  December 07, 2009, 05:59:56 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
#7  December 07, 2009, 06:16:33 am
  • Bionic Arm lol
Oh, I thought you meant a stage on which to fight Giygas.
In that case, yeah, get Terror of Giygas; it fits your needs perfectly.
#8  December 07, 2009, 04:01:07 pm
  • Foolish, but learning.
...I went hunting around in the code to understand what was going on in the second form.  That is a DIRTY trick, especially given he has two insta-kills(Rockin can't be blocked and kills you, Starstorm has some homing, can't be blocked and will juggle you to death thanks to it's high damage) that he WILL use and can't really be defended against.

I suggest that some clue be given in the fight in some way.  Otherwise he will be seen as unbeatable, which is also 'uninteresting'.

\"So you have chosen....death.\"-Saruman.
Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:14:37 pm by Bloodly
#9  December 07, 2009, 04:45:44 pm
  • Bionic Arm lol
Noted, and noted.
I was thinking of having Pokey show up and taunt you during the story mode fight in an update, slipping in a clue to victory in between those taunts. How's that sound?

I'll fix Rockin Omega, too, so that it can be guarded in the fight's early stages. And Starstorm. Definitely fix Starstorm. (It's random, though, not homing. Still no less annoying.)
#10  December 07, 2009, 05:32:49 pm
  • Foolish, but learning.
That could work.

The issue, effectively, is this: by the time you realise that it's one you need to dodge/parry/whatever rather than block, it's too late.  And I'm not even sure Rockin' can be dodged.  It's not that they're bad, but final victory effectively depends on him not doing the moves for the entire duration of Stage 2.  Those are really bad odds.EDIT: Belay that.  I understand how to avoid them.

Odd question: The second half of the fight advances in stages.  Though the 'stage layout' changes and stays, it's not clear whether progress is kept if you die.

Watch out.  Randomly his AI does not activate.  This means Stage 2 will not activate.

Also, how long is Stage 2 meant to last?  I spent a good long time on it playing in Watch mode.  Avoided/blocked his attacks, going through it 'properly', advancing through the different stages.  It just never ended.
\"So you have chosen....death.\"-Saruman.
Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:55:10 pm by Bloodly
#11  December 07, 2009, 07:34:46 pm
  • Bionic Arm lol
-Nah, Rockin can't really be dodged, unfortunately. That's why I'm gonna edit it so it can be blocked.
I'll lower Starstorm's damage and knock-back anyway. It's still quite rigged in retrospect.
-Giygas should be keeping progress in the second half of the battle, yes. That would be more than irritating if he didn't. I'll double check that.
-I should definitely fix that AI issue as well.
-As to how long stage 2 lasts...

Hopefully that clears things up.
#12  December 07, 2009, 08:58:13 pm
I pretty much agree with all of the feedback given. I just wanted to say though that you did an amazing job with programming this character into Mugen. Perfect choice for a Final Boss.

One other thing I've noticed is that occasionally, when I successfully parry one of his attacks(with Tetsu by XCB for example), it causes the music(from the character, not the stage) to cut out occasionally, though not all the time.

Again, love how you went about porting the character and making the 2nd round about just trying to survive and weather his attacks. Looking forward to his updates.
#13  December 08, 2009, 05:09:36 am
  • this be some serious mugen shit
holy mother of fk, this is a pretty kickass giygas :o
#14  December 08, 2009, 08:50:40 pm
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
i remember was making a gigyas but the never came back to a certian forum,they claimed their gigyas would be the best
Guess yours will be till then
Now to try it out
#15  December 08, 2009, 09:57:10 pm
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
OH GIYGAS IS SOME BOSS CHAR!
I had never gottne what giygas was until now. So how does one hit giygas? is ther emore to it than just a bg? I can't download atm, whch is why I'm asking :)
#16  December 08, 2009, 10:03:21 pm
For some reason, he doesn't turn into his fancy second form when I beat him in Single Player mode.

halp plz
#17  December 08, 2009, 11:04:22 pm
    • steamcommunity.com/id/biolizard13
Earthbound lolwut.

I came to MFG saying
"If there is a awesome character in the release section today, I'll play Mugen again"
I saw this and just about shat mahself, thank you for this

UPDATE: Alright, I got to fight him. He's pretty damn hard but overall a really neat character. If there was a Ness, I'd download him and make a vid. You planning on making a matching stage for him?
....there is a Ness, I found one that was based off of SSBB. I'd give you a link if I can find him again.
#18  December 09, 2009, 12:08:39 am
  • Bionic Arm lol
GeŠ¹esis: I hope they eventually finish their Giygas. The world always has room for more Giygas.
Hollywood momo!: Giygas consumes the entire stage; just attacking will land a hit on him unless he's in a team match with somebody else besides himself as his partner. Then you have to beat the partner first before you can hit him.
YamiMario: That's because the AI randomly decides to not activate for whatever reason. I'm uploading Version 1.1 in a bit, which'll automatically turn it on for story mode so you can get to that fancy schmancy second round.
Biolizard13: I'm glad I could make your day. =D

EDIT: Version 1.1 is right here.
PK Fire Gamma is more like fire.
And Pokey himself is here to taunt you.
And this:
Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:45:30 am by fhqwhgads7
#19  December 09, 2009, 05:07:08 am
  • So Zetta slow!
He's not dying. HE'S NOT DYING. I'M CROUCHING. HE'S NOT DYING.
#20  December 09, 2009, 05:49:48 am
  • Bionic Arm lol
What character are you using? Did you get to round two?
(If you can PM me a screenshot, that would also be good.)
Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:54:57 am by fhqwhgads7