YesNoOk

Are M.U.G.E.N characters better than the actual creators characters? (Read 7232 times)

Started by Predictabo, August 28, 2014, 09:42:35 pm
Share this topic:
Are M.U.G.E.N characters better than the actual creators characters?
#1  August 28, 2014, 09:42:35 pm
    • matthewrobs@yahoo.com
I'm curious as to what you guys think. Do certain mugen characters eclipse actual creations from the likes of Capcom, SNK, etc?

I think in certain cases, yes. The legendary Reu characters, I believe are actual roster worthy. I've seen more broken characters like KOFXI Magak anyways lol.
Re: Are M.U.G.E.N characters better than the actual creators characters?
#2  August 28, 2014, 11:17:31 pm
  • SNK is life
I don't think you can compare both.

Mugen has lots of possibilities, anybody can fix what the companies might have messed up, so in that sense, mugen characters have the potential to be better than the source.

But then again, Mugen is bound by limitations and bugs that the original games might not have been subject to, and also, Mugen is only 1 engine, where as it's competing again countless engines that mesh together 3D techniques with 2D sprites, and so on.
#3  August 28, 2014, 11:57:12 pm
    • matthewrobs@yahoo.com

Mugen has lots of possibilities, anybody can fix what the companies might have messed up, so in that sense, mugen characters have the potential to be better than the source.

But then again, Mugen is bound by limitations and bugs that the original games might not have been subject to, and also, Mugen is only 1 engine, where as it's competing again countless engines that mesh together 3D techniques with 2D sprites, and so on.
I've never thought about it that way
#4  August 29, 2014, 02:18:34 am
  • For honor!
Let me put it this way: BloodStorm is designed and programmed better than most characters in MUGEN. Let that sink in for a moment
Iroha stripped for me
#5  August 29, 2014, 02:22:03 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Gimmie a break. >.>
#6  August 29, 2014, 02:38:04 am
    • USA
Might as well post something on topic: yeah, I think there are some. I personally like PotS's versions of the characters he's done more than any of the ones that appeared in official games, I think.
#7  August 29, 2014, 03:01:08 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Pneophen made Juli and Dark Sakura into good characters.
#8  August 29, 2014, 03:15:35 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Yes.
#9  August 29, 2014, 04:15:54 am
    • matthewrobs@yahoo.com
Might as well post something on topic: yeah, I think there are some. I personally like PotS's versions of the characters he's done more than any of the ones that appeared in official games, I think.

Given you mention POTS, would you also say your creations fit the mold too? You do make characters POTs styled.
#10  August 29, 2014, 06:07:57 am
    • USA
#11  August 29, 2014, 06:09:04 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Your Kyo was better than the one in CvS2, though.
#12  August 29, 2014, 06:13:34 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
It's all perspective and mostly opinion.

P.o.t.S. Ryu, as an example, takes elements from multiple incarnations of Ryu's appearances, making it more of a "best of" character. I personally think he's one of the best Ryu's out there, offering more than any Capcom creation ever would. So technically, I would think he's better than official stuff, but that's just my opinion. Some would prefer straight up conversion/emulation of a specific character; others would side with my outlook and go for things that are multifaceted. It really depends on how you yourself would define what's better.

Hence the 100's of Ryu releases out there.

Awesome question.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#13  August 29, 2014, 06:17:02 am
  • Nothing is impossible if you believe
    • Philippines
    • tier-1.co/madlax

Indeed.

#14  August 29, 2014, 06:20:15 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
But yeah, this is the main reason why I don't go for 100% accuracy. I mean, having stuff feel like it should is great and all, but if I was to just do straight up conversions, I might as well just play the source game.
#15  August 29, 2014, 06:24:38 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
I will say that tool-wise, you couldn't possibly make a Makoto Nanaya worse off than she is now without removing attacks or basic movement entirely.
#16  August 29, 2014, 07:04:48 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
But yeah, this is the main reason why I don't go for 100% accuracy. I mean, having stuff feel like it should is great and all, but if I was to just do straight up conversions, I might as well just play the source game.

Yeah but, the reason I do it is so it will exist in mugen. It's more for me than anyone else anyway lol
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#17  August 29, 2014, 07:45:56 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
#18  August 29, 2014, 09:54:30 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
what would "better" mean? better in terms of strength? design? hitboxes? you can attempt to "fix" a character from their source (which tends to happen with kof chars) but i dont think it means much unless youre doing, like, a completely redone version of the game. probably pedantic here but having a "better" character means more if it placed back in its original game.
not that that should stop anyone from trying, its a good idea!
#19  August 29, 2014, 10:13:49 pm
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
I believe mugen simply allows for characters to be "improved" simply because creators can build on the ground work done by the official creators without deadlines and restrictions so its more like a fanfic continuation of a character more than out doing the original
#20  August 29, 2014, 11:56:34 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
what would "better" mean? better in terms of strength? design? hitboxes? you can attempt to "fix" a character from their source (which tends to happen with kof chars) but i dont think it means much unless youre doing, like, a completely redone version of the game. probably pedantic here but having a "better" character means more if it placed back in its original game.
not that that should stop anyone from trying, its a good idea!

placing a character in a game can also mean putting the characetr in our mugen, so it becomes very subjective; I was very tempted to say no to the op, as per your reasoning no mugen char would work beter in it's original source game when put back after being "improved" by mugen creators.  but if you consider mugen it's own game like a (forced example) pots mugen game all stars collection, then a character can eb improved, like pots ryu being a better alternative to sfzero ryu or cvs2 ryu. again, it becomes very subjective because every subject has a different mugen set up.