YesNoOk

Advantage of using custom command buffer? (Read 2175 times)

Started by Ricepigeon, March 14, 2013, 05:36:54 am
Share this topic:
Advantage of using custom command buffer?
#1  March 14, 2013, 05:36:54 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Alright so I was looking through a few topics on the forum and saw a few posts (from around 2007-2009ish) regarding using a custom command buffer instead of mugen's usual command buffering system. I just wanted to know what the advantages of using such a system are, such as accuracy to a specific game, input leniency, and such, and why I should use it over mugen's built in system.

Perhaps maybe this has to do with my understanding, or lack thereof, of mugen's system. Iirc, mugen allows you to set buffer.time for each command as well as the amount of time to pull off each command. Perhaps someone could explain how mugen handles this so I can get a better understanding of it?
Re: Advantage of using custom command buffer?
#2  March 14, 2013, 05:41:14 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
That's basically it. Mugen's command system sets you a time the command can be completed within, and then a time after the last input that it is "true" for. So if you did command = "a" with a 1 tick input but a 20 tick buffer you can do something like

changestate
trigger1 = command = "a" && time = 15

But you can press it at any time before 15 and have it occur reliably on that tick rather than trying to press it at that moment.

Mugen's system will also automatically buffer within superpauses if you let it. So if you tap in a command during a superpause it'll last for a few ticks outside of said pause (i think that's how it worked, info is in the docs)

All a custom system will do is give you considerably more control. As with anything like juggling, cornerpush, etc etc, customising it lets you control everything rather than just what mugen lets you.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
Re: Advantage of using custom command buffer?
#3  March 14, 2013, 04:19:25 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
The biggest problem I have had with mugen's buffer is te way it buffers commands on it time, so let's say you want to combo a crouching kick to a standing kick, for the crouching kick you have to hold down and press kick, then you have to release down and press kick again for the standing kick, if you don't release down before the hitpause kicks in another crouching kick will come out because mugen will keep the holdown command buffered during the pause time. solved it by checking a helper's command instead. another problem I ahd but it can barely be atributed to the buffer is early basic jumping attacks not coming out if you press the attack right after you press up so mugen registers the command before you gain air control. this oen I solved wita  custom buffer, but i tink there are less simpler ways to do it now.