YesNoOk

Evolving MUGEN: artistropeadope (Read 325499 times)

Started by artistropeadope, November 29, 2014, 09:51:34 pm
Re: Evolving MUGEN
#81  December 15, 2014, 06:57:08 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Personally, I think the asymmetrical programming from Gill of SF3 should've been the standard for modern day mugen chars since his release.

Why? Most characters aren't asymmetrical. Why would you waste time making something standard that's only going to apply to a few characters?

a few chars? I have an entire roster of self-made asymmetrical chars. this is like saying why did reuben kee waste time creating dragonclaw? chill[/spoiler]

So why should it be standard? Because you're doing it? Asking for something to be standard means everybody should be using this code. What use does someone making, say, a Sol Badguy need for asymmetrical coding? What use does Dragon Claw have for asymmetrical coding?
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#82  December 15, 2014, 01:46:55 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
How many 8-bit characters have you seen? 90% of the characters released use 16-bit sprites or higher. MVC, CVS and KoF are all examples this. Also, the size of the sprite doesn't always depict the bit-description of it. This is all your personal preference and pushing it on others isn't going to be evolving anything.

environmental hazards has to be possible but I haven't seen it yet
This is possible already as well. Electr0 is responsible for making a few packs of interactive stages. However, you should know, many, myself included, are discouraged with the way that mugen "allows" you to do these things. In this case, they have to be coded into the characters. Super custom life-bars also have to be coded into the characters. Tag teams need to be coded into the characters. Because of this, no one is going to be relying on these methods as it takes lots of manual work to even have a controlled roster with all those features. It's just not worth it in the end unless you're making a full game. Things like stage-interactivity should be available to code within stages first and characters second. Seeing how this isn't something that you have any control over, DKDC's post holds truth.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#83  December 15, 2014, 01:53:28 pm
    • USA
I once created a double sided K' for mugen. Custom states fucked me over even in a fullgame environment with stuff that range from animations taking the wrong "animation side" during the first element of an animation all the way to both hitdef enemy facing and changestate facing parameters fucking the entire animation for no reason because MUGEN.

...Never again I said and ditched the entire thing and reused the second side sprites for his EX mode :P
#84  December 15, 2014, 03:42:40 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I once created a double sided K' for mugen. Custom states fucked me over even in a fullgame environment with stuff that range from animations taking the wrong "animation side" during the first element of an animation all the way to both hitdef enemy facing and changestate facing parameters fucking the entire animation for no reason because MUGEN.

...Never again I said and ditched the entire thing and reused the second side sprites for his EX mode :P

I know your pain, dude. I have Sai for my game NZCR and he's got one sleeve longer than the other. In my case, I just compromised. It's not worth the stress, lol. XD

#85  December 17, 2014, 08:04:13 pm
  • My releases are at flurry.com
  • Same pixellated recycled bullshit is at this site.
    • USA
    • flurry-jo.com
How many 8-bit characters have you seen? 90% of the characters released use 16-bit sprites or higher. MVC, CVS and KoF are all examples this. Also, the size of the sprite doesn't always depict the bit-description of it. This is all your personal preference and pushing it on others isn't going to be evolving anything.

environmental hazards has to be possible but I haven't seen it yet
This is possible already as well. Electr0 is responsible for making a few packs of interactive stages. However, you should know, many, myself included, are discouraged with the way that mugen "allows" you to do these things. In this case, they have to be coded into the characters. Super custom life-bars also have to be coded into the characters. Tag teams need to be coded into the characters. Because of this, no one is going to be relying on these methods as it takes lots of manual work to even have a controlled roster with all those features. It's just not worth it in the end unless you're making a full game. Things like stage-interactivity should be available to code within stages first and characters second. Seeing how this isn't something that you have any control over, DKDC's post holds truth.

Hard work pays off. I have ridiculously complex chars waiting to be tested & assure you there's no limit to what MUGEN "allows". I'm also getting disrespectful comments from people who appear to have been doing this for a while but are clearly limited artistically & mentally. ill try to push MUGEN forward through my little website. at least this way i wont have to worry about strangers attacking my opinions. you all have an idea of what ill be releasing from my previous post & I appreciate the awesome advice. use this discussion to build each other.peace

ps: forgot about Electr0 stages,he's the shit.hahaha
flurry-jo.com
#86  December 17, 2014, 08:04:57 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
okay, have fun, we wont miss you.
#87  December 17, 2014, 08:22:16 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Hard work pays off. I have ridiculously complex chars waiting to be tested & assure you there's no limit to what MUGEN "allows". I'm also getting disrespectful comments from people who appear to have been doing this for a while but are clearly limited artistically & mentally. ill try to push MUGEN forward through my little website. at least this way i wont have to worry about strangers attacking my opinions. you all have an idea of what ill be releasing from my previous post & I appreciate the awesome advice. use this discussion to build each other.peace

ps: forgot about Electr0 stages,he's the shit.hahaha
Well, yes, in most cases, hard work does pay off, however people do this for a hobby. Nothing is more frustrating than realizing that you can't do something or have to jump through hoops to do something that's seemingly simple, all because the original developers didn't implement it naturally. These are basic things we'd expect from a fighting game engine. In my opinion, that's taking a step backward in the evolutionary chain, which leads to the conclusion that since we can't expand upon the engine itself, there's nothing we can do to evolve it more. That's not to say that implementing these features in your characters is discouraged, but that it "shouldn't" be necessary. The community really does welcome creativity of all kinds, believe it or not.

P.S.
There will be people who disagree with your opinions (generally speaking) no matter where you go. It's all about how you handle it. You can get offended and lash back or take it with a grain of salt and provide a valid rebuttal. It's up to you.

#88  December 17, 2014, 08:27:03 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
mugen is a hammer, and it's lacking the little bit on the back that is used to take nails out. someguys use mugen as a paper weight and it being a hamemr it works, other guys use it as a screwdriver which requires a lot of work, but hey, more power to them, and some guys get pissed off because when they want to use it as a proper hammer to take some nails out, it's lacking the bit and they have to do a lot of extra work.
#89  December 17, 2014, 08:30:47 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
mugen is a hammer, and it's lacking the little bit on the back that is used to take nails out. someguys use mugen as a paper weight and it being a hamemr it works, other guys use it as a screwdriver which requires a lot of work, but hey, more power to them, and some guys get pissed off because when they want to use it as a proper hammer to take some nails out, it's lacking the bit and they have to do a lot of extra work.

Those countless bloody fingernails! The horror, lol. Excellent analogy, by the way.

#90  December 17, 2014, 08:37:51 pm
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
I'm also getting disrespectful comments from people who appear to have been doing this for a while but are clearly limited artistically & mentally. ill try to push MUGEN forward through my little website. at least this way i wont have to worry about strangers attacking my opinions.
I don't think you should hide behind a site where people can't attack you for your opinions though because that just shows you know they're weak. In the end opinions are just opinions and to anyone else they're probably wrong because they hold different opinions. If you really believed in your ideals then you would take the heat and defend them no matter how wrong people say you are, but if you hide in a place where people can't attack your opinions, then you might as well not have any faith in them.
#91  December 17, 2014, 08:47:23 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
That'd be true if we actually had a say in Mugen's evolution. We don't. We can post on elecbyte's forum, but if there's something that really can't be done right now AND Elecbyte just won't fix it because reasons, you're still shit out of luck in spite of any ideals of a perfect world.
The only thing we can discuss is community standards, but history shows that there simply isn't enough people who follow them for it to make any sort of difference, even on forums with an active community that actually bothers to try and set up some new standards. So in practice, the best you can hope to do is a full game for yourself where you're the one who can make sure everything works the way you want it. ... That also almost never happens (proportionally speaking).
I meant more from the developer's design choices, not necessarily our own as mugen devs/users. You're right though. Even in full games, you still may not to have everything you want due to engine limitations, especially in the screenpack department of things.

#92  December 17, 2014, 08:49:08 pm
Sorry, I deleted that post because I figured it didn't add that much of interest.
(but don't let that stop you from responding anyway)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#93  December 17, 2014, 08:56:39 pm
  • #1 Boss Lady
    • UK
I'm also getting disrespectful comments from people who appear to have been doing this for a while but are clearly limited artistically & mentally.

Wait, so you mean you got backlash for undermining/disrespecting art forms that don't measure up to your own personal standards?
Well, clearly you must have created and published mugen creations of these standards yourself.

Otherwise, that'd make you a huge asshole.
#94  December 17, 2014, 09:02:35 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Sorry, I deleted that post because I figured it didn't add that much of interest.
(but don't let that stop you from responding anyway)

No worries. Your post still contributed to the thread topic because it's downright true. We're all basically saying the same thing here, but even with that knowledge, we, the creators are still making innovative things and keeping the community alive. Which, I think, at the end of the day is all that matters. Oh, and having fun with it, because it's a hobby after all. :P

#95  December 17, 2014, 09:55:15 pm
If you have to reply to artistropeadope start quoting him, because he'll start deleting his posts again!
That's so... stupid I think it's the term. Yes, that's the one. :yes:
Oh, and disrupting too.
#96  December 18, 2014, 08:59:41 am
  • Emotionally and Mentally Exhausted
  • Heheh, so that's the deal!
    • USA
    • nigelbkny@gmail.com
    • Skype - nega_ridley75

Aren't there really fancy screenpacks that support character sprite upon choosing, but they aren't animated? And, he was made. By Masupnu-KunZ or something like that.

Why yes. Also I really do mean the animated select stance portraits. And the cut scenes.... And the judgements just like in Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. You know those Judgement Girls that decide who's the victor? That'll be really awesome.
#97  December 19, 2014, 03:26:25 am
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
wait i know what needs more priority than what all of you said

ELECBYTE COMING BACK.
this website is stupid
#98  December 19, 2014, 05:44:29 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com

#99  December 19, 2014, 06:08:44 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/

Aren't there really fancy screenpacks that support character sprite upon choosing, but they aren't animated? And, he was made. By Masupnu-KunZ or something like that.

Why yes. Also I really do mean the animated select stance portraits. And the cut scenes.... And the judgements just like in Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. You know those Judgement Girls that decide who's the victor? That'll be really awesome.
The animated select screen portraits are an assload of work and annoyingly limited as you can't simply "add" another character. Oh, i want a new character. I'll just pull out his stance, and then extract the cursor animation and make it larger by 1 screen, then add my sprites in after i re-palette and/or alpha channel it, then i'll readd the cursor to the sff file, alter the animation and i can finally add this character.

Oh wait, i don't like him any more and want to remove him, welp revert all that. Ick.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#100  December 19, 2014, 09:06:46 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I don't even know what most of that was...