YesNoOk

can we get a Thank button please ?  (Read 29443 times)

Started by Gara, December 20, 2015, 08:01:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: can we get a Thank button please ?
#21  December 21, 2015, 02:54:00 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yep, anythign that would ahve negative consequences regarding mugen work is a no; since that shoudl be the priority of the forum, nohting wrong with having likes in releases, but dislikes in releases/wips can do harm even id they can do good outside of those places.
#22  December 21, 2015, 03:04:32 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
While I could see that the places I'd be worried the most are in release and WIP threads. It's not like it hasn't been an issue in the past for groups to try and demotivate and team up to belittle someone. While I'm only partially against "bad posting" dislikes I really don't want the forum to have anything that might discourage development, creation, and fun in the primary areas.
That's an issue in a secretive system, but having both likes and dislikes displayed publicly would makes it hard to gang on people subtly. If there's five guys who dislike every single one of your posts it probably isn't because they dislike your Ryu. Same if there's a bunch of new accounts with 0 posts disliking your stuff.

Alternatively, disable the dislike button in projects and releases.

Edit: also, our community has kinda moved away from bashing and petty clique behavior on its own in the last few years. When was the last time we had to deal with shitfests like Kong's or Alexlexus's release threads?
Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:38:37 am by Fubs
#23  December 21, 2015, 03:32:44 am
While I could see that the places I'd be worried the most are in release and WIP threads. It's not like it hasn't been an issue in the past for groups to try and demotivate and team up to belittle someone. While I'm only partially against "bad posting" dislikes I really don't want the forum to have anything that might discourage development, creation, and fun in the primary areas.
The question is, what's worse, several people using a dislike button, or several people actually posting insults ? Maybe a dislike button would make it easier to enforce "don't post one-liners that just say 'this suck'" as a rule ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#24  December 21, 2015, 04:32:52 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's still something more oriented toward general discussions and not releases, etc. because you can't simply post "this sucks" on a release without getting in trouble already. A positive mark with zero feedback isn't a big deal. A negative mark with zero feedback can be quite discouraging. Yes even just 1. We deal with a lot of young teens here (13+). Getting into development I don't want anything that can add discouragement. There's enough to overcome learning how to build a character without your 1st post(s) getting negative marks.

I'm not fully in agreement on it for nonmugeny posts either, but I agree with your quote it might calm down the "bad post" bandwagons.

So I probably wouldn't mind if like and dislike could be toggled per board.
#25  December 21, 2015, 04:40:39 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Yeah, I think adding a dislike button to the MUGEN section would absolutely be a really bad idea, but I don't think it would help very much elsewhere on the forums either.
#26  December 21, 2015, 04:57:48 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Go read Uche's/Segatron's/Lars's/Pikachu guy's post history and tell me a system that potentially cuts down "your post is dumb" bandwagons wouldn't be an improvement.

I'm not really crazy about protecting childrens'/manchildren's ego just because they may one day become decent mugen creators, but if toggling dislikes on and off on a board basis is technologically viable, let's do it.
#27  December 21, 2015, 05:01:15 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I'm not really convinced that any of those users would be more dissuaded by a bunch of down votes than the host of negative replies they get whenever they post.
#28  December 21, 2015, 05:32:05 am
Go read Uche's/Segatron's/Lars's/Pikachu guy's post history and tell me a system that potentially cuts down "your post is dumb" bandwagons wouldn't be an improvement.
here's why it wouldn't be needed

UCHE_OF_LARS Posted:
Poopy butt. Haha!!!
0 Likes
Coolboyman Posted:
Shut the fuck up Uche of Lars
200 Likes [click here to expand]
#29  December 21, 2015, 05:37:44 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I'm not really convinced that any of those users would be more dissuaded by a bunch of down votes than the host of negative replies they get whenever they post.

The hypothetical poster I think would benefit from the dislike system is a cut above Uche and friends.

What I meant is that the hoist of negative replies are usually eyesores 'cause only one (or rarely two) of 'em are either funny or add something productive to the thread. On the other hand, a thumbs down icon next to a two digit number isn't detrimental to the thread's flow.
#30  December 21, 2015, 09:45:29 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I don't think anyone benefits from a dislike system. All that happens is people who don't get it question why they get so many dislikes without learning anything, or more likely here, get angry.

Perhaps just liking specific posts, not a stat that follows the user. Otherwise the epeens extend drastically. Most comment threads on news sites have recommendations and stuff like that when people agree. If a post is bad the equivalent "dislike" is actually to send it to a moderator.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#31  December 21, 2015, 12:02:04 pm
Perhaps just liking specific posts, not a stat that follows the user.
That's the system everyone's been talking about, it already exists in many forums. You like posts, not users, it's not a karma system.
And again, I think it can't be worse than having a bunch of people in a row actually posting mean comments. A dislike button would definitely save the trouble for a bunch of that.
If a post is bad the equivalent "dislike" is actually to send it to a moderator.
That's not right at all, a post you dislike isn't the same thing as a post you think is breaking some rule or being not nice and needs reporting.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#32  December 22, 2015, 01:03:04 am
  • animes are for pussies
    • Germany
so is everyone fine with that idea ?

in any case I'd still vote for offering only a Thank button for starters, no dislike option. ( tho I agree that it also may have some advantages.. )

well, then I'm gonna pm Valodim now if that's ok.  :megusta:

Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:43:04 am by Gara
#33  December 22, 2015, 02:13:38 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'll contact Valodim and ask him. :) I don't think he checks PMs here often.
#34  January 05, 2016, 10:31:05 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Finally got an update on this. This is a "yes" if Valodim puts us back on stock SMF. He's considering doing that. He'd moved to this version because stock SMF had been stagnant for about a decade but it's moving again now.

So right now there is a lot in the air so in other words... "maybe"
#35  January 06, 2016, 03:41:36 am
  • animes are for pussies
    • Germany
Finally got an update on this. This is a "yes" if Valodim puts us back on stock SMF. He's considering doing that

ah cool, good news  :neutral: :megusta: