YesNoOk

Games with no crouching and no jumping? (Read 2353 times)

Started by Loona, April 12, 2011, 12:04:39 pm
Share this topic:
Games with no crouching and no jumping?
#1  April 12, 2011, 12:04:39 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
A lot of fighting games usually have as standard states/options the ability to crouch and jump, things that don't happen that often in an actual fight - I take these things became standard in games as a way to add variety to move sets within the limits of a 2D framework.

At least you don't see these things that often in brawlers where your walking options go beyond walking forwards and backwards, or compareively more "serious" fighting games like thos that focus on wrestling, boxing or MMA - then again, I don't really keep up with these, but I'm all ears for recommendations of some good ones (that recent WWE Legends or whatever that has wrestlers from different decades together looks interesting).

If seems even most 3D games give in in some way to conventions set by their 2D ancestors - Virtua Fighter and Tekken have crouching and jumping, and moves for those states, but they rarely seem to be the focus, or effective tactics.

Maybe there's lesser-known stuff out there that might be worth knoing about that does away with these conventions?

In most fighting games, if no weapons are involved, you can pretty much expect a crouching kick to be one of the moves with the most range (I read that it's possible to beat Tekken 2 using nothing but that, regardless of opponent...) - however, it's something that would usually be a lot less practical in real life (wouldn't be nearly as fast, for one).

I'd also be surprised if all the possible jumping attacks a character usually has in a typical 1-on-1 fighting game had a use, especially the punches. Before it became commonplace in the genre, stuff like jumpkicks were usually considered the equivalent of special moves for the time - now there's one for each button, but how often are most of them really worth it?...

I can't help but think of God Hand and its variety of moves and control scheme - plot and system-wise it's kinda restricted to being a single-player experience, but seems to have enough features (plenty of moves for very different occasions, but most esentially dealing with opponents in front of you) to make it possible to have a 1-on-1 fighting game to work with a similar or close enough system. I wonder i something like that's been done in the genre.

Know of any good examples, even if it's in the MMA simulation end of the fighting game spectrum?
Re: Games with no crouching and no jumping?
#2  April 12, 2011, 12:26:45 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
It's really rare to find fighting games with no crouching and jumping. Maybe really old games, I don't know.

Oh, and God Hand is a Beat'em up, not a Fighting game. It's normal in that kind of games not to have that options (maybe jumping is more normal than crouching). I could recommend Yakuza if you're seekign 1-vs-1 fights that resemble Fighting games. There's even a Fighting Simulator in that game :P
#3  April 12, 2011, 12:35:33 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Soul Calibur doesn't have jumping does it?

I know certain SNK bosses cannot crouch.
#4  April 12, 2011, 12:46:16 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
There's jumping in SC, but it's just kinda there, not the kind of thing I see being too effective - those jumps are just short enough they might be handy to counter some low attack on reaction if you have insane reflexes.
Ten again, I'm no SC expert.

Non-crouching SNK bosses aren't really an example, as they're an exception in their own game.
I'm more interested in system where crouching and jumpnig simply don't matter, yet the game maintains variety and balnace despite it.

It's really rare to find fighting games with no crouching and jumping. Maybe really old games, I don't know.

That's the thing, after SF(2) it seems it kinda became expected - I wonder how much, if at all, the concept has been questioned and how things can work in its absence.

Oh, and God Hand is a Beat'em up, not a Fighting game.

I know, but it does bring interesting ideas to the table, like a wide variety of moves, large enough to match a Tekken character or 2, despite the fact that  compare to something like SF they're all "normal" moves. There are plenty of factors to affect the choice of which of those you can choose (timing, range, etc...), along with other than a mashable combo you can customize, you can put a few of them aside for in selected buttons for occasions where they may fit best. The way you dodge in that game seems focused on maintaining the focus on the guy you're fighting that very moment, as opposed to generally moving around the scenery like in other 1-vs-many brawlers I've tried before.
It sounds like it wouldn't be terribly hard to adapt to a 1-on-1 system, with a few changes, so I take it as a point of reference as to what could be done with the genre.

I could recommend Yakuza if you're seekign 1-vs-1 fights that resemble Fighting games. There's even a Fighting Simulator in that game :P

Thanks, gotta look into this.
#5  April 12, 2011, 12:59:52 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
What about Castlevania Judgment?  That doesn't have jumping I'm sure.
#6  April 12, 2011, 01:02:21 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
#7  April 12, 2011, 02:35:15 pm
  • TEHUH NAYUME EZ HUWK KOO MAWUN
    • Canada
Only thing good about it is the music.

Harmony is harmony is harmony is not with us, harmony is not with us. Living hell is coming.

3DS FC: 0232 - 8852 - 3659
#8  April 12, 2011, 02:44:14 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
And draculas dress *shot*
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."

Bea

#9  April 12, 2011, 04:00:08 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Final Fight Streetwise is another beat'em up game where jumping and crouching pretty much doesn't take place.
IIRC, the only "jump" attack you ever learn in that game is a drop kick, which Haggar teaches you.

While some wouldn't consider it a fighting game per see, the pit events are pretty much mano a mano fights.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#10  April 12, 2011, 04:07:27 pm
  • Die you son of a bitch
the fight night series doesnt really have crouch or jump. instead for evasion its all bout body movement
#11  April 12, 2011, 04:29:35 pm
I'm pretty sure the DBZ budokai games have no Jumping or Crouching
Not sure about Burst limit though.
#12  April 12, 2011, 05:10:25 pm
wrestling games.
#13  April 12, 2011, 05:48:12 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
Burst limit didn't have jumping or crouching abilities either.

I don't consider wrestling games in the fighting game genre, but that's just me.
#14  April 12, 2011, 09:40:57 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

This game emuled beat'em-ups in certain way, you can move all over the stage with up and down, grabbing weapons from ground and you only can jump with a button. And obviously no crouching here

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#15  April 13, 2011, 12:41:52 am
    • Argentina
garouden fist or twist for ps2 by the way the bgm is awesome  :sugoi:
#16  April 13, 2011, 12:58:57 am
  • Die you son of a bitch
also bushido blade

but there was no need for it in that game

GT

#17  April 13, 2011, 02:42:32 am
    • USA
    • Skype - gt_ruby
The Def Jam games don't use crouching or jumping either.
Yeah Titiln, in fact, You Made Him
#18  April 13, 2011, 04:01:46 am
  • Got a worse Birthday than that Pink Blob.
    • USA

This game emuled beat'em-ups in certain way, you can move all over the stage with up and down, grabbing weapons from ground and you only can jump with a button. And obviously no crouching here
There's also Streets of Rage's VS Mode.
#19  April 13, 2011, 08:07:53 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
also bushido blade

but there was no need for it in that game

Bushido Blade had a sorta jump maneuver. You could use it either in-fight or during exploration, for example to jump down the well.

Can't remember if the game had crouching moves, but not that it really matters

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!