YesNoOk

What is the rarest/most obscure char you had? (Read 3890 times)

Started by EterTC, May 11, 2018, 09:00:49 pm
Share this topic:
What is the rarest/most obscure char you had?
#1  May 11, 2018, 09:00:49 pm
    • Argentina
I think most of us downloaded some rare and obscure chars, mainly from the eSnips and mugencharacters.ucoz days, that only one in a thousand had. Chars that only a handful of people know about and ones that have barely any information available on the net, and are nearly impossible to find as nobody knows they exist.

In case the title isn't clear enough, this thread is about chars that you had at some point, but can't find anything about them online, or old chars that are relatively unknown and had very little exposure while they were available. This is just to discuss however; this is not a request thread.

I'd like to start with a char I had a long time ago named Al-link. I got him from a Spanish forum that no longer exists named Emugamesworld, that just happened to have a MUGEN related thread. It was a fan-made Mario character and was created by a user with the same name, who I guess was an administrator in that forum. He was literally Luigi with a blue shirt and hat, and the hat had an A instead of an L. He was described as being "the father of the Mario Bros." even though he looked no older than his "sons". Anyway, the character was basically just a palette swap of ShinRyoga's Super Luigi (which was already a palette swap to begin with) and even had the same portrait except that it was blue and it had the A on his hat. I can't remember if stuff like the fireballs or other effects were also recolored, or if any of the other palettes were changed. The char had no effort put into it whatsoever and it could easily be recreated by anyone that knows about palettes, but he still comes to my mind from time to time.

I swear I'm not making this up, I wish I kept him just to prove that it was an actual thing. He was uploaded to Rapidshare and I still have the link but it doesn't matter because it's broken beyond repair.

This screenshot is the only proof I have of his existance (he's in the first row of characters):

Not my screenshot, by the way, I just found it online. He's also mentioned in this blog post (in Spanish).

What are some rare chars you've come across?

Also, I apologize if there is a thread for this already, I made this one because couldn't find any.
Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:31:28 pm by EterTC
Re: What is the rarest/most obscure char you had?
#2  June 06, 2018, 12:53:47 am
  • Is a joke
    • USA
    • Genosan94@gmail.com
I have some obscure original M.U.G.E.N characters I would like to mention:
-Etoile Chrono Tokiko by Tokinokuni-Kei
-Reika Murasame by Taruse
-Arma by (I think) Jessica Smoke
-Hory Marlu by Taruse
-Zinc the Aeroknight by Quetzalcoatl88
#3  June 06, 2018, 01:02:56 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Except for Arma, I've had all of those at one point.

In fact, I still have one of them.  I think it's time I gave her another update for this new age of MUGEN...
#4  June 06, 2018, 02:42:00 am
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
MvC Juan by Stickma14. I spent sometime looking for him and I managed to find him. Not sure where, though.
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#5  June 06, 2018, 03:33:56 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
POTS Style CM Punk (shrug)

What can I say? I'm a mark.
#6  June 06, 2018, 03:40:00 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
A victim of the cult of personality
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#7  June 06, 2018, 04:54:21 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Isn't Punk on Seanaltly's site, or is there a different PotS-style Punk?
#8  June 06, 2018, 05:40:20 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Isn't Punk on Seanaltly's site, or is there a different PotS-style Punk?

It was a decent conversion of Punk in PotS style but I don't know where you can get it though. The Punk on Sean's site is the CvtW game if I recall.
#9  June 06, 2018, 04:09:30 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I think I got hotaryun, whihc was similar to zero hotaru, except that hotaryun was the one that started the whole mess; her zip file was password protected and we were complete unable to break the password, while the password of zero hotaru we did manage to break. actually, I/we don't even know if hotaryun really existed, because we were  unable to break the encription and the zip file might have been just a bunch of jpg files.

Other rare characters were private betas back in the irc times; it's fun how thing come back full circle and now we have discord. the private beta I rememebr the most was neogoukis' spiderman, which was pretty well done ( as far as it got  done), some versions of kyo-3 too, becuase the creators had a lot of fun playing around with the animation and effects, something similar to the shin orochi kyos of yesteryear, except that kyo-3 aim was to keep it balances so that made him different to the orochi dark ones.

And the third weird betas I got were from some japanese forums, the link would only stay up one week tops, and while most of the stuff they put was kuromaru stuff, they also had some weirder characters; though they eventually stopped being rare once kuromaro picked up in the west. the one I remember the most is the tower of druaga girl whom was just a punching bag.
#10  June 07, 2018, 11:29:37 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
One obscure character I have is Shadowroo by Vin Vulpis. I'm not sure if he ever got released on any forums, maybe Mugen Free for All but I can't remember. He's basically a kick-boxing Kangaroo. He's got very nice sprites and smooth animation and is pretty fun to use but his block works like a Mortal Kombat character's does, which is pretty jarring when I'm so used to simply holding back.
Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:33:00 am by ShiroTori
#11  June 08, 2018, 03:45:15 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I have some obscure original M.U.G.E.N characters I would like to mention:
-Zinc the Aeroknight by Quetzalcoatl88

I still have him. I can send it out to people if you want.

You know, I wonder how many of the characters and stages I have in storage would actually qualify? On one hand, most of them were mentioned and/or released on the bigger forums at one more or another, so a big handful of us would have gotten a copy. On the other hand, how many people realize those characters still existed anymore?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#12  June 08, 2018, 04:08:14 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
I still wonder why Zinc had no KO voice when Megaman X4 (where his voices come from) have perfectly usable death voices.
#13  June 09, 2018, 12:45:53 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Warusaki3's Shingo (it's KOF98 don't get too excited) and Vans's Jedah, probably.
#14  June 09, 2018, 02:46:43 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I still wonder why Zinc had no KO voice when Megaman X4 (where his voices come from) have perfectly usable death voices.

Maybe the author felt that none of them fit? Who knows.

We can still give him one. I did that with my Pikachus when I finally tracked down the Smash Bros KO sound.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#15  June 12, 2018, 06:28:23 pm

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!