YesNoOk

Last game you stopped playing + 2 lines review. (Read 1004446 times)

Started by Foobs, April 10, 2011, 01:44:39 am
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you stopped playing + 2 lines review.
#361  February 25, 2013, 04:59:00 am
Aside from my recent shitty experience with Morrowind, I haven't played any Bethesda games. I'd prefer to get into Elder Scrolls first, because I prefer that genre and setting, but assuming I enjoy Oblivion and/or Skyrim, I'll move on to Fallout after. I'll most likely pass on the earlier ones.

I did almost all my gaming on console for a very long time (Blizzard games and the odd FPS being the exception), and hadn't even really heard of Bethesda until Skyrim hit. I don't really know how that happened. I've got a halfway decent PC now though, so they're definitely in the backlog. :)

I honestly think Kingdoms of Amalur might have been the first WRPG I've played that wasn't an ARPG like Diablo. o.o
#362  February 25, 2013, 05:00:47 am
I forgot that the radio in Fallout 3 did have jazz, mostly because I thought it sucked and didn't add much to the setting for me. It also meant I had to endure Three dog.
#363  February 25, 2013, 05:02:59 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I forgot that the radio in Fallout 3 did have jazz, mostly because I thought it sucked and didn't add much to the setting for me. It also meant I had to endure Three dog.
Not just in Fallout 3, New Vegas also has jazzy music. I myself think it adds to the ambiance nicely and walking through old-world ruins with happy jazz playing can have a surprisingly chilling effect.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#364  February 25, 2013, 05:09:02 am
#365  February 25, 2013, 05:21:56 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I will grant you the 'take you on a ride' exception. Regardless of what Bayonetta's music is, to me it's completely at odds with the tenseness and action that that kind of gameplay should generate.
But it's not supposed to be tense. Bayonetta's whole deal is that she is in complete control of the situation and the angels she's fighting are not a real threat to her, and a light and cheery pop song reinforces that.

But of course that changes during boss fights, and the music changes to match, for example:

Now you hear stuff from a heavenly orchestra or something, telling you that shit is about to go down.

Besides, rock music with silly lyrics doesn't really produce that tension either.

Also, 'halos'... Come on, just, look at them... You can't convince me she isn't Sonic in drag.
They're referencing Sonic, just like the rest of the game does for a whole number of Sega franchises. But I would hope you don't see Bayonetta as the guy from Space Harrier in drag!
#366  February 25, 2013, 05:27:13 am
But it's not supposed to be tense. Bayonetta's whole deal is that she is in complete control of the situation and the angels she's fighting are not a real threat to her, and a light and cheery pop song reinforces that.

And that's why I can't get into it! There's no visceral feeling or involvement in the action at all!

Besides, rock music with silly lyrics doesn't really produce that tension either.

...You did not just go there. I have songs from DMC3 on my computer. It is really, really, really good. It sure as hell produces that tension for me, and I'm really sad if it didn't for you, because DMC3 was generation-defining.

They're referencing Sonic, just like the rest of the game does for a whole number of Sega franchises. But I would hope you don't see Bayonetta as the guy from Space Harrier in drag!

'Course not, that's NiGHTS.
#367  February 25, 2013, 05:45:06 am
    • USA
And that's why I can't get into it! There's no visceral feeling or involvement in the action at all!
But there's tons of involvement and visceral feelings!

Basically, the player is trying to live up to the Bayonetta of the cutscenes, and if one is good enough, they'll sync up and the music compliments the steamrolling nature of Bayonetta. But even so, I just don't find it a requirement for all game music to need to he tense all the time.

...You did not just go there. I have songs from DMC3 on my computer. It is really, really, really good. It sure as hell produces that tension for me, and I'm really sad if it didn't for you, because DMC3 was generation-defining.
Heavy guitar isn't particularly tense, though. In fact the music in DMC works pretty similarly to Bayonetta, I think. It's just that one is hard rock and the other is breezy pop, with a few jazzy and orchestral tracks.
#368  February 25, 2013, 05:46:23 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA

'Course not, that's NiGHTS.

Bingo!  Somebody gets it!  Aside from what Snakebyte just said, the fact that Bayonetta is piss easy compared to every DMC (even DmC!) also takes away the feeling of tension and it just feels like some internet guy's really stupid mary sue fanfic.  I mean yeah, Dante does ridiculous shit in cutscenes, but the games themselves are still reputably difficult and the atmosphere goes to enhance that.  Nothing about Bayonetta's atmosphere is attractive to me in the slightest, and the gameplay is only marginally so.  I "get" the game, it's trying to be tongue in cheek and over the top like DMC, but it just fails at it to me.  It's like it has none of the charm whatsoever that DMC had and it's trying desperately to.
#369  February 25, 2013, 05:52:56 am
But there's tons of involvement and visceral feelings!

Basically, the player is trying to live up to the Bayonetta of the cutscenes, and if one is good enough, they'll sync up and the music compliments the steamrolling nature of Bayonetta. But even so, I just don't find it a requirement for all game music to need to he tense all the time.

All game music, absolutely! All action game music, I disagree. The music should mirror the gameplay. Bayonetta's doesn't suit it at all. And cutscene-driven gameplay is just... *shakes head*

Heavy guitar isn't particularly tense, though. In fact the music in DMC works pretty similarly to Bayonetta, I think. It's just that one is hard rock and the other is breezy pop, with a few jazzy and orchestral tracks.

Considering the music in Bayonetta is why I won't even try to get into it, I think you're wrong. :)

This song is pretty much perfect in every respect. It gets you amped up. Bayonetta's music doesn't. At all.

DMK

#370  February 25, 2013, 07:17:49 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Bayonetta is piss easy compared to every DMC (even DmC!)

I don't think there would be many players that come from DmC being their first action game would do very well on Normal. Infact compared to Bayonetta, DmC requires a lot less thinking and with the large window for "parrying" attacks leaves even the most lousiest of player crying for something "more" difficult. While Bayonetta is certainly no harder or as easy depding on the level in DMC or as punishing as past Ninja Gaiden titles at their hardest, the game isn't easy. DmC even at its hardest still has very obvious attack patterns with huge windows to counteract built in, without the axe Vergil on Hell and Hell can be beat by parrying back his summoned sword and attacking with rebellion and later simply normal dodge rolling out of the way and stingering. Then they're people who get use to witch time and suddenly thats taken away at one point, whoo boy shit gets interesting there. Don't bring anything about attachments or other weapons in Bayonetta, the axe alone in DmC, even with the patch, is simply overpowered without any upgrades and takes away from every other weapon, where in Bayonetta a lot still relies on the user and the weapon choices.
#371  February 25, 2013, 03:51:54 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Well I don't have much to add. I will just say that the boss rush in Bayonetta was much better then the one in DMC3.

Really like both games though.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#372  February 25, 2013, 11:05:55 pm
    • USA
The music should mirror the gameplay. Bayonetta's doesn't suit it at all.
It does, in fact, mirror the gameplay. It fits Bayonetta's character, her style, and her movements.

And cutscene-driven gameplay is just... *shakes head*
What? Bayonetta doesn't have gameplay that's driven by cutscenes. What are you talking about?

Considering the music in Bayonetta is why I won't even try to get into it, I think you're wrong. :)
Wait, you didn't even play the game because you dislike a few tracks you heard? Seriously?

OK then, I'm gonna try and get back on topic since this doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I stopped played Metroid: Zero Mission. Well, I mean, I've beaten it a fuckton of times, but I specifically stopped trying to do a 7% run because fuck that shit, even on easy. I can do 15% runs on normal and hard, no problem. But 7% is just, no. Fuck you Mecha Ridley, stop shooting lasers and missiles and swiping your arm all at same time which makes it literally impossible to avoid being hit. >:[
#373  February 25, 2013, 11:17:25 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
did you all just had a huge argument that boiled down to "I havent ever played this game and this is why it sucks" ?

I played bayonetta, I thought it wasnt that good, but I played it and can say why, to make huge arguments over why something sucks and top it out with"I wont even try it !" its kindof shallow and really weird.  Why would anyone be so invested on an argument about some form of media they refuse to experiment with?

Last game i played is still
WEN SHEI MOTHERFUCKERS!
#374  February 25, 2013, 11:25:58 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
It's a good thing that Bayonetta does not rap or Snakebyte would have called you guys idiots for liking the game. :P
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#375  February 25, 2013, 11:28:20 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
thinking people are idiots , stupid etc, based on their interests in media is not a good way to go through life.

I dislike the harry potter series but im not going to kick your book out of your hands for being a harry potter liking jerk.
#376  February 26, 2013, 02:41:09 am
did you all just had a huge argument that boiled down to "I havent ever played this game and this is why it sucks" ?

I played bayonetta, I thought it wasnt that good, but I played it and can say why, to make huge arguments over why something sucks and top it out with"I wont even try it !" its kindof shallow and really weird.  Why would anyone be so invested on an argument about some form of media they refuse to experiment with?

Last game i played is still
WEN SHEI MOTHERFUCKERS!

No, 'This is why I can't enjoy a game' is different from 'This is why this game is objectively bad'. I said I dislike its aesthetic, and Jmorph kept trying to push me into thinking it was good. I never said it was a bad game, it's just not for me. I tried playing the demo and couldn't even finish it because of how jarring and strange the music was to me. Haven't you ever had something like that happen to you, where the look or feel of something completely stopped you from being able to like it?

I don't think Bayonetta sucks, from what I've heard it's sub-par but not awful, it's just not a game I can get into at all. I don't think having a discussion about that with Jmorph is a huge argument? I dunno. Maybe it is? I like talking about games with people D:

It's a good thing that Bayonetta does not rap or Snakebyte would have called you guys idiots for liking the game. :P

Rap's fine on it's own! The knuckles rap is just so out of place and just plain bad and does not nothing but repeat game terms over and over again in this grating faux-cool voice while oozing what marketers thought urban was in the late 90s and agh. I turned my sound off when playing those parts.

thinking people are idiots , stupid etc, based on their interests in media is not a good way to go through life.

I dislike the harry potter series but im not going to kick your book out of your hands for being a harry potter liking jerk.

I agree. People are different. The most I'll say is that I don't understand how in the hell people can get enjoyment from [X thing I really dislike], which is just truth and not a put-down. o-o
#377  February 26, 2013, 12:32:05 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I'd just like to add that I didn't apply my own label to Bayonetta, it was Kamiya himself that called it the successor to DMC, which is a hell of a standard to try and live up to.  If he hadn't done that AND had the game loaded with a million callbacks and references to far superior games, I think I would have enjoyed it enough to at least play to the end.   Unfortunately I'll never accept Bayonetta as anything more than a poor man's Devil May Cry.  A good game in its own right, but when it goes out of its way to remind me that I could be playing something far better....why bother? 

Last game I got done playing was Million Knights Vermilion.  Now this is one of the clumsiest, most awkward fighters I've ever played.  None of the characters are any fun to use and all of the movesets are bland and lifeless.  Why did I download this?
Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:49:42 pm by Sir MC Fortes2
#378  April 27, 2013, 07:37:31 pm
  • I'm Mr. Monstro and I live under your bed.........
    • Spain
    • gamerfreaksanaddicts@yahoo.com
    • mugenmonstro.webs.com/
Ocarina of Time for the N64

I played it for monsths until I messed up and didn't get the adult wallet before I went to the future I got pissed put all my old games and systems in a closet and I open the closet just to stare at the black trash bag they are in and realize I'm never going to get around setting them all up
#379  May 09, 2013, 01:52:53 am
  • Smart Icoca wannabe!
    • Poland
    • samouczek.com/
Batman Arkham City - shitload of fun and additional content that keep entertained for hours, I had a great time looking for all the riddles and getting most of the achivements, definitely a game worth its price and mush have for Batman fans.
#380  May 10, 2013, 06:22:25 pm
  • Dark Templar
Blood Drive (360) - Nice concept poorly executed, game physics are f&%1n weird, never found anyone to play with on multiplayer, lack creepy atmosphere, most of the time the flashy effects hurt my eyes and obstructs visibility, sigh, another waste of time
I'm Just Bored To Tears
Same Old Shit Just Different Day & Year . . .
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=81512.0