YesNoOk

The Nintendo News Thread (Read 1516746 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: The Nintendo News Thread
#1021  May 10, 2014, 02:49:37 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
A life simulator excluding Gay marriage when games like The Sims have had it for a while is a big deal though it's like not allowing your character to be anything but White or Male.

Damn Ninja'd by Iced.
Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:00:23 am by Girard
#1022  May 10, 2014, 02:51:55 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I am actually pleased with this new reply of theirs.
It's definitely better than their first. (the "a whimsical and quirky game" one)

Don't all these self-righteous morons realize us gay people don't really give a shit about any of this?
What? No. Don't try to speak for everyone. The Sims lets you marry same-sex couples, and even have them do it, why is this different?

I mainly find the whole thing pointless.

Whether it is homophobia, not really finding any issues, but not including it, I find this whole thing just absolutely pointless to anything to be frank.
How nice for you. But it's an issue for some people. The guy who started it wanted to marry the guy he's engaged to in real life in the game; it's in no way pointless. I've now been ninja'd twice but who cares.
#1023  May 10, 2014, 02:52:52 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
A life simulator excluding Gay marriage when games like The Sims have had it for a while is a big deal though it's like not allowing your character be anything but White or Male.

Damn Ninja'd by Iced.

#1024  May 10, 2014, 03:01:31 am
  • The Goddess Returns
people like feeling identified with the games they play , specially when they are things like SIMS where you are introducing your friends and family and having romances and dates with other characters.

Do you think that if the game lacked the option for having black people you would go

"I mainly find the whole thing pointless.

Whether it is racism, not really finding any issues, but not including it, I find this whole thing just absolutely pointless to anything to be frank.

Woohoo, you guys won having your race in one game, yay..."

Since I am black...I would still be completely indifferent. Unless it's a racial bias thing, I just don't really see the point. Which is the same here, if Nintendo did show a bias against homosexuals, then I would agree, but until then, it's kinda pointless.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1025  May 10, 2014, 03:02:46 am
    • USA
How is it pointless to want to represent your life in a life simulator. The general reaction isn't even "Nintendo is homophobic!", it's "hey Nintendo put this in the game please."
#1026  May 10, 2014, 03:05:33 am
  • The Goddess Returns
How is it pointless to want to represent your life in a life simulator.

Again, I'm not the type of person to represent myself even in a life simulator, so as I stated before, I find it pointless.

Dammit, now this is gonna look weird.

A life simulator excluding Gay marriage when games like The Sims have had it for a while is a big deal though it's like not allowing your character to be anything but White or Male.

Damn Ninja'd by Iced.

I mainly find the whole thing pointless.

Whether it is homophobia, not really finding any issues, but not including it, I find this whole thing just absolutely pointless to anything to be frank.
How nice for you. But it's an issue for some people. The guy who started it wanted to marry the guy he's engaged to in real life in the game; it's in no way pointless. I've now been ninja'd twice but who cares.

As I've stated before, I find it pointless, if you don't, all the power to you. And no, this isn't me expressing anything other than just not caring.

Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1027  May 10, 2014, 03:07:29 am
    • USA
Well, thanks for weighing in. Really added a lot to the conversation.
#1028  May 10, 2014, 03:10:41 am
  • The Goddess Returns

#1029  May 10, 2014, 03:14:06 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Since I am black...I would still be completely indifferent. Unless it's a racial bias thing, I just don't really see the point. Which is the same here, if Nintendo did show a bias against homosexuals, then I would agree, but until then, it's kinda pointless.

In a game of "simulate your life!" being told "lol you cant be black, silly". Means your skin colour or whatever it is you identify as being you is not representative of enough people to even be considered normal.

If you are not going to let a person represent themselves in a game , maybe dont make a game about simulating themselves.

PS: forums work so that people dont say pieces and then just move on, they are adding something to the discussion, you cant really walk into a fighting game thread and just go "well I certainly dont see the point of punch buttons" and then go "Whoa whoa its just MY opinion ive moved on dont try to engage me on it, stop persecuting me "when someone tries to engage you back. :)  If you dont care about the type of game maybe you dont have anything to say about the subject.
#1030  May 10, 2014, 03:16:02 am
i feel a lot of the outrage is misguided. it's a game released a year ago in japan (where gay marriage is illegal) and it's getting an overseas release to see if people give a shit. they can't just go "oh let's add gay marriage to the game. hey CODER MAN please edit [GAYPEOPLE = YES] in rules.ini please and thanks", it's not that easy. the whole thing should've been "please add gay marriage to the sequel" instead of "add gay to the game or we're never buying anything nintendo you pieces of shit"
#1031  May 10, 2014, 03:25:07 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
I feel it got so big because the first response felt like they were trying to ignore the issues and not take a stance on it instead of being what the second response was.
#1032  May 10, 2014, 03:27:01 am
  • The Goddess Returns

In a game of "simulate your life!" being told "lol you cant be black, silly". Means your skin colour or whatever it is you identify as being you is not representative of enough people to even be considered normal.

If you are not going to let a person represent themselves in a game , maybe dont make a game about simulating themselves.

PS: forums work so that people dont say pieces and then just move on, they are adding something to the discussion, you cant really walk into a fighting game thread and just go "well I certainly dont see the point of punch buttons" and then go "Whoa whoa its just MY opinion ive moved on dont try to engage me on it, stop persecuting me "when someone tries to engage you back. :)  If you dont care about the type of game maybe you dont have anything to say about the subject.

*Sigh* Alright, let me actually turn this into something of a conversation...

I'm not saying, acting or getting all in arms about Nintendo apologizing about something that offends people, I find it pointless that this is even a thing, let alone the approach people took.
This type of thing isn't just a state of a game, but more of simply the state of the developers. If they decided to not make a black people a choice, I wouldn't be offended, but I would see people disappointed. If they CHOSE not to because of a racial bias, then I would be offended and not in this passive state, but if they chose not to simply because it was no reason, then I wouldn't be offended, but again, I'm not saying people shouldn't BE offended.

I already stated the reason I'm not offended by this sort of thing(I don't really ever put myself in any game, Life Simulator would be included), but I'm not saying others shouldn't be offended if they see it this way, but as Titlin put it, I'm more disappointed of the approach since it honestly went nowhere, especially since you will obviously get those who will just act ridiculous rather than logically. So...there you go.

#1033  May 10, 2014, 03:30:08 am
    • USA
It clearly went somewhere because Nintendo put out a statement saying they'll add it in the sequel, if they do a sequel. That's not nothing.
#1034  May 10, 2014, 03:37:57 am
  • The Goddess Returns
It clearly went somewhere because Nintendo put out a statement saying they'll add it in the sequel, if they do a sequel. That's not nothing.

And as I stated, they won. So while it is an issue, in the end, I don't really feel like Nintendo lost but more as the mass just makes me want to shake my head in disappointment since I'm pretty certain a good chunk did not think logically of the scenario.

#1035  May 10, 2014, 03:40:51 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
And as I stated, they won. So while it is an issue, in the end, I don't really feel like Nintendo lost but more as the mass just makes me want to shake my head in disappointment since I'm pretty certain a good chunk did not think logically of the scenario.
That doesnt make sense, how do you know any of that.
Whats the logically of the scenario here? What are you shaking your head at that people dont understand?

You are talking as if it wasnt an issue on the same sentence where you say its an issue.

So its an issue but people that think its an issue arent logical so it loops back into non issuing?

Seriously i could use your sentence to talk about abolishing slavery.

"So they won, so while its an issue , in the end the usa didnt really lost but the masses just make me want to shake my head, because a good chunk of those people didnt think logically of the scenario."
#1036  May 10, 2014, 04:15:10 am
also i feel not letting the game know "hey this mii is homosexual" makes the game awkward if you have homosexual friends and want to put them in the game (since the game is basically about you creating characters representing yourself and people you know in real life, looks and personality included, and watching stupid situations play out, like weird musical acts) because then suddenly your gay mii friend is dating a girl and that would be extremely far from what the reality is. it's not just an issue for homosexual people playing the game

and then oh god what do you do about the bisexuals?? because what if someone is hetero but not into bisexuals. how can the game know. jesus christ there are too many variables. cancel the game
#1037  May 10, 2014, 04:28:35 am
  • The Goddess Returns
That doesnt make sense, how do you know any of that.
Whats the logically of the scenario here? What are you shaking your head at that people dont understand?

You are talking as if it wasnt an issue on the same sentence where you say its an issue.

So its an issue but people that think its an issue arent logical so it loops back into non issuing?

Seriously i could use your sentence to talk about abolishing slavery.

"So they won, so while its an issue , in the end the usa didnt really lost but the masses just make me want to shake my head, because a good chunk of those people didnt think logically of the scenario."

Wow, thanks for stuffing words in my mouth that I never even meant.

I'm saying it's not an issue from my perspective, but it can be to others, that's been my stance this whole time.
My main issue is simply the fact that I find that people have, again, taken this to a stupid conclusion than a logical one(aka, simply tell Nintendo to put it in the sequel since the game is already out in Japan and not act insane about it), which only makes these things worse since if Nintendo really want to be asses about it, they can easily just do Japan only sequels from then on(because I honestly believe a huge amount of developers are Prima Donnas rather than actual businessmen).

And nice strawman about my sentence being equal to slavery, quit it already, you know that wasn't what I was going with in that statement anyways.

#1038  May 10, 2014, 04:33:50 am
    • USA
My main issue is simply the fact that I find that people have, again, taken this to a stupid conclusion than a logical one(aka, simply tell Nintendo to put it in the sequel since the game is already out in Japan and not act insane about it), which only makes these things worse since if Nintendo really want to be asses about it, they can easily just do Japan only sequels from then on(because I honestly believe a huge amount of developers are Prima Donnas rather than actual businessmen).
That's literally what most people wanted; either Nintendo add it to a sequel or patch it in if possible. I don't know why you think the vast majority of people complaining are cuckoo banana pants insane for wanting to simulate their life in a life simulator.
#1039  May 10, 2014, 04:36:15 am
i understand and agree with iced's point but i don't understand the purpose of the "hey i could use that same logic about slavery" line other than almost looking like some godwin's law shit
#1040  May 10, 2014, 04:37:18 am
We haven't even gotten into Transsexuals, can't forget about them.

I feel it got so big because the first response felt like they were trying to ignore the issues and not take a stance on it instead of being what the second response was.

I'm guessing that Nintendo's recent statement was the second response.

This is the typical difference in cultural beliefs conflicting with one another and creating conflict. I'm sure Nintendo didn't maliciously disallow same-sex relationships.

As far as the other point:
Regardless if they meant to or not, it's pretty hard to ignore the presence (or lack thereof) of a particular grouping of people (even if someone knows the reason why it may be the case). I mean, it's rather uncomfortable to feel like your kind was excluded and pretty easy to become emotional about it.