YesNoOk

The Nintendo News Thread (Read 1516685 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: The Nintendo News Thread
#1041  May 10, 2014, 04:38:14 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
And nice strawman about my sentence being equal to slavery, quit it already, you know that wasn't what I was going with in that statement anyways.
I didnt say your sentence was equal to slavery im telling you that it was so vague that it could have been applied to anything . I used slavery to show a ridiculous example.
You dont care about "Thing" and people that care about "thing" are all pointless even if they might have a point.

#1042  May 10, 2014, 04:43:00 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
We haven't even gotten into Transsexuals. Can't forget about them.
Wouldn't they just play as their gender (which is not the same thing as their sex)? I mean I'm talking out of my ass here and have absolutely no idea.

I'm guessing that Nintendo's recent statement was the second response.

This is the typical difference in cultural beliefs conflicting with one another and creating conflict. I'm sure Nintendo didn't maliciously disallow same-sex relationships.
It was their second response; their first response was that the game takes place in a whimsical land and they didn't want to make a social statement.

It definitely doesn't seem like a malicious thing, it just looks like Nintendo doesn't want to piss anyone off.

Bea

#1043  May 10, 2014, 04:53:35 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
We haven't even gotten into Transsexuals. Can't forget about them.
Wouldn't they just play as their gender (which is not the same thing as their sex)? I mean I'm talking out of my ass here and have absolutely no idea.

This.
No transsexual would want to go through the same shit they go in real life to get they gender correctly.
It is a frustrating process. We will just pick the gender we identify with and be very, very happy.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#1044  May 10, 2014, 05:02:56 am
It was more adding another element on the LBGT theme of the discussion; but yeah, one of my more unimformed statements, sorry.

In any event, just another example of people being outspoken on wanting more options for their games (which is always a good thing). Even if it was a misunderstanding, still nothing wrong with bringing the issue to light, and it all worked out anyway (so it seems).
#1045  May 10, 2014, 05:04:11 am
  • The Goddess Returns
My main issue is simply the fact that I find that people have, again, taken this to a stupid conclusion than a logical one(aka, simply tell Nintendo to put it in the sequel since the game is already out in Japan and not act insane about it), which only makes these things worse since if Nintendo really want to be asses about it, they can easily just do Japan only sequels from then on(because I honestly believe a huge amount of developers are Prima Donnas rather than actual businessmen).
That's literally what most people wanted; either Nintendo add it to a sequel or patch it in if possible. I don't know why you think the vast majority of people complaining are cuckoo banana pants insane for wanting to simulate their life in a life simulator.

I never thought that. I said "a good chunk" not everyone. People got what they wanted, but I definitely seen it from some sites that certain people do act moronic and say some dumb stuff, that what was I was talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1046  May 10, 2014, 05:05:40 am
    • USA
A good chunk is either a majority or pretty close it one, I think.

Could you just qualify what you're complaining about instead of being absurdly vague about those dastardly homos?
#1047  May 10, 2014, 05:07:11 am
People got what they wanted, but I definitely seen it from some sites that certain people do act moronic and say some dumb stuff...

No kidding, someone I vaguely know from GAF just got banned over this; definitely a delicate topic.
#1048  May 10, 2014, 05:13:23 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
What exactly did he say?
#1049  May 10, 2014, 05:31:09 am
So this is was gossip feels like. :P

It really was [blown out of proportion]. It's not a gay life simulator. It's a mii universe simulator with odd quirky scenarios. Just because it doesn't have gay relationships doesn't mean nintendo discriminates. It WASN'T the main focus of the game, and the scope of this game is limited so i don't know what the fuck anyone was expected. If you want a gay life simulator go play second life or play ultima 6 and have gay sex with dirty pirate gigolos.

Not necessarily anything wrong with the main point (bold), but clearly not the best argument to support it. Also the last part of that statement was completely unnecessary (and was probably what he was banned over).
#1050  May 10, 2014, 05:32:14 am
    • USA
Yeah that all sounded fine (but I disagree strongly with it) until that last part. Fuck that guy.
#1051  May 10, 2014, 07:10:32 am
  • The Goddess Returns
A good chunk is either a majority or pretty close it one, I think.

Could you just qualify what you're complaining about instead of being absurdly vague about those dastardly homos?

Why it gotta be homos? But I get what you are talking about anyways.

Mainly, go check GameFaqs NGG and NeoGAF.

P.S. I mean by good chunk is 30-40%.

Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1052  May 10, 2014, 10:20:36 am
Games should be just games. It of course needs elements and idea's from real life aswell but, it almost sounds like a Oprah Winfey show with all those human type discussions.
#1053  May 11, 2014, 01:46:09 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Me?

I do not really care about homosexuality in my games. I basically have only one criteria:

Is it a great game that I can play for many, many hours and days or not?

Did you see homosexuality or any other social commentary in the criteria? If the answer is no, then you are correct.

I do not see the reason why people are making such a big deal of such things...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#1054  May 11, 2014, 02:18:37 pm
But it's not about a game "being good" per say.
And the people who do want better tolerance of same-sex relationships seem to care.

Not Nintendo news (sorry), but I guess this discussion nicely segways into this:
Sims 4 rated +18 in Russia due to "the promotion of homosexuality to minors."

The Russian Federation has placed an 18+ rating on the upcoming release of The Sims 4, marking the game as "prohibited for children" due to a controversial law restricting the promotion of same-sex relationships to minors.

News of the rating comes via a tweet from the official Sims Russia account, which was later followed up with an explanation to a curious player. "18+ [rating] has been assigned in accordance with the law number 436-FZ 'On the protection of children from information harmful to their health and development,'" the tweet reads (via Google Translate).

That law, passed in September of 2012, has already drawn widespread controversy around the world for seemingly criminalizing the mere mention of a person's own sexual orientation and encouraging violence against Russia's LGBT community. The law drew protests and provoked safety concerns for some athletes during the Sochi Winter Olympics earlier this year.

Sims games routinely get T for Teen (ages 13 and up) ratings in the US, PEGI 12 ratings in the European Union, and M (ages 15 and up) ratings in Australia. In Germany, The Sims 3 was even rated as appropriate for ages 6 and up by the country's USK rating board. The games have included the option of same-sex relationships since the series debuted in 2000.

Based on the number of comments on Destructoid, seems like this was worth it's own thread. :P

Some people believe that like the Russian law, Nintendo is/was unaccepting of gay relationships (which I don't think is true and a misunderstanding). That's why people are making a big deal out of it.
Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:41:02 pm by Niitris
#1055  May 11, 2014, 06:20:40 pm
The thing is that some people accept same-sex relationships and some not. I don't think those T for Teen or 18+ ratings can solve that. I just started to think that they make more games for adults and not for kids anymore. A game concept isn't decided by it's ratings as they just have to write it on the cover because of the laws. Every gamer plays the game they wants without even caring about the ratings it has there.
#1056  May 11, 2014, 06:27:57 pm
why does a game with gay relationships have to be for adults. as long as they're not showing erect peckers clashing with eachother i don't see the issue. not every game that shows straight relationships has hardcore fucking in it
#1057  May 11, 2014, 06:31:41 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
even the sims when it got ported for the gameboy advance had nintendo removing the same sex relationships.

So im guessing there are people that think that same sex kissing is something that kids should be protected from.
#1058  May 11, 2014, 06:41:40 pm
there have been several sims games released on nintendo systems after that so it's probably an isolated issue
#1059  May 12, 2014, 01:35:18 am
    • USA
Games should be just games. It of course needs elements and idea's from real life aswell but, it almost sounds like a Oprah Winfey show with all those human type discussions.
What in god's name are you talking about.

I do not really care about homosexuality in my games. I basically have only one criteria:

Is it a great game that I can play for many, many hours and days or not?

Did you see homosexuality or any other social commentary in the criteria? If the answer is no, then you are correct.
Oh boy, you really got me! That was pretty clever, you're so totally right! You've really opened my eyes, man, all of our eyes, shown us the folly of our actions. For too long we have shunned all games that do not advance the homosexual agenda, but now my worldview has been shattered. Thank you, you feckless oaf.

Because it's a life simulator game and people want to simulate their life. Holy shit. No one is asking for Nintendo to include the option for Mario to graphically ram it up Luigi and then have a very tasteful but exquisitely planned wedding ceremony on the beach. Why is this so hard to understand, fucking Christ.
#1060  May 12, 2014, 03:05:12 am
  • The Goddess Returns
Because it's a life simulator game and people want to simulate their life. Holy shit. No one is asking for Nintendo to include the option for Mario to graphically ram it up Luigi and then have a very tasteful but exquisitely planned wedding ceremony on the beach. Why is this so hard to understand, fucking Christ.

I think you are mixing up Apathy with Lack of Understanding...or Stupidity, or whatever you are aiming at.