YesNoOk

The Nintendo News Thread (Read 1566572 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: The Nintendo News Thread
#1301  June 14, 2014, 03:18:15 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I mainly just want a sequel to Fusion. I think the absorbing gameplay would be an interesting way to go with the franchise and you've got a valid excuse for Samus losing her stuff that doesn't involve some guy watching her burn alive.

You can have a spider-man game where you have no story and you just beat up bad guys and you can have a spider-man game where the story is that he got raped by his main villain the hobgoblinator and now is seeking him out to rape him in revenge.

Spider-Man: The Return of Skip Westcott
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1302  June 14, 2014, 05:32:05 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
Xhomnid, we know you have a hard time thinking about this stuff rationally since your brain uses 99% of it's functions on wanking off over anime titties, but even you should be fucking able to understand that Metroid other M is actually sexist. If you don't, you are in some serious denial.

I'm not gonna go into any heated discussions, but nice low blow there buddy boy. Apparently I disagree with peoples' opinions, and I be called a jerker for no other reason at all, seriously, nice argument there.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1303  June 14, 2014, 05:34:21 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Well you are kinda defending Metroid Other M here. You got nobody but yourself to blame.

Also, "Jerker" is pretty fucking tame as far as silly online insults go. Chill out.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:38:01 pm by Lolmechy
#1304  June 14, 2014, 06:06:29 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
Well you are kinda defending Metroid Other M here. You got nobody but yourself to blame.

Also, "Jerker" is pretty fucking tame as far as silly online insults go. Chill out.

I don't like to be shit called period, especially over a game of all things. So if you want to be pissed off on me actually giving Other M that shot, then you might as well blast me for giving chances to plenty of "bad" games too.

I'm so sorry that we have differences of opinions, you might as well done like everyone else and actually tossed logic and reasons in there.

Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......

Bea

#1305  June 14, 2014, 09:50:25 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Other M story destroyed it.
I swear one day I will find the one responsible for writing it and shove that script where the sun doesn't shine, because they DESTROYED everything that made Samus great.

I HATE Other M for this. Effing sexist bloody game.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#1306  June 14, 2014, 10:23:24 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
I really want a metroid fusion followup, seeing the Galactic Federation are a bunch of swines and that the X virus capable of replicate any sort of DNA can cause wrecking. Combine that with Galactic Federation illegal bio weapon ideal and we could have one hell of a story.
Chilling
#1307  June 14, 2014, 10:31:56 pm
    • USA
Seriously, the virus removes half the work of plotting. Samus loses her stuff? Oh, someone did something that messed with the X virus! Ridley's back? Someone did something with the X virus! Mother Brain cloned herself a new body based on Samus' DNA? Wibbly wobbily X-ey Wexy Virus!
This time
This time
#1308  June 15, 2014, 12:26:12 am
  • The Goddess Returns
Seriously, the virus removes half the work of plotting. Samus loses her stuff? Oh, someone did something that messed with the X virus! Ridley's back? Someone did something with the X virus! Mother Brain cloned herself a new body based on Samus' DNA? Wibbly wobbily X-ey Wexy Virus!

Technically, that happened in Fusion already and I thought Samus destroyed the Corpse to make absolute certain of that.

#1309  June 15, 2014, 12:53:00 am
    • USA
I am holding my hand up in a conspiratorial manner and whispering "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEX VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS" to you.
This time
This time
#1310  June 15, 2014, 01:41:48 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
And I already debated gameplay-wise in another post, so thanks for only using another comment in that I didn't elaborate on.
Yeah, I only responded to the post you made that was replying to mine, in which you ignored my gameplay critiques because LOL RAGE. Don't see why I should even bother trying to respond to anything else. Not when there's much so many other people to talk about Other M with.

No story > bad story, every time.

Using resources on something that will be abhorrently awful (not that most video game scripts are a masterpiece or anything) devalues a game; resources that could go to something else to make the game better. Not that devs shouldn't try to make a story, but I don't think anyone would pass trading a poorly thought out script for a superior game mode.
Indeed. There's far, far too much emphasis on putting out shitty stories delivered by long cutscenes these days. The actual game bits are all in service to a series of movie clips. What does it say about the medium of video games when cutscenes are the reward of doing well? It's insane. Instead of exploring how to use gameplay to advance a narrative it's too often the case that it feels like the game is only there to be a connective tissue between the cutscenes, to tell a story that makes no sense and . I mean, it's not like cutscenes are inherently awful or anything, and it's not that you should never ever use cutscenes to deliver story, but you shouldn't do so to the exclusion of doing it through gameplay. Like, take Super Metroid, it has the opening and closing cutscenes, but there's also the fantastic Mother Brain/Metroid confrontation, which conveys so much without a word being spoken, and has you acting it out.

anyway the point of my long shitty unconnected rant is like, cutscenes are too often used to deliver shitty story and games should make more of an effort to deliver story via gameplay, but cutscenes are still very useful, just don't write shitty stories, or something.

I mainly just want a sequel to Fusion. I think the absorbing gameplay would be an interesting way to go with the franchise and you've got a valid excuse for Samus losing her stuff that doesn't involve some guy watching her burn alive.
I also think a sequel to Fusion would be neat as hell, perhaps they could explore expanding the absorption mechanics to be active instead of passively giving you upgrades when you defeat a boss? Especially if they keep the X gone for good.

Spider-Man: The Return of Skip Westcott
not canon not canon not canon >:[

I don't think they even need a reason most of the time; Prime 3's method of just dropping a semi-upgraded Samus into the mix from the start worked out pretty well.

I missed this before, and I desperately need to talk more about Metroid!!!
I also liked the fact that it had post end-game content and allowed you to go back to the ship and get any collectibles you may have missed without requiring you to start a new savegame from the beginning. I hope more Metroid games allow you to do that in the future.
Wait, what? Every Metroid game lets you do that. :-\

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

But yeah, I'd rather take another Zero Mission-like Metroid over any other kind. Other M was an alright one-shot game for me to pass the time and I find the Prime series kinda boring (Must be The environment and music, I prefer something more colorful like the GBA ones. Guess that's why I liked Other M too).
Huh, well, Prime's music was actually done by the same guy who did Super and Zero Mission, Kenji Yamamoto. He's fantastic, and basically the Metroid composer. I dunno why they went with someone else for Other M, the result was really really forgettable. Oh wait, just remembered Yamamoto was doing DCKR the same time as Other M, maybe that's why? Still though why couldn't they couldn't they have gotten Minako Hamano (who worked with Yamamoto on Super, Zero Mission, and Prime 3, and did the Fusion soundtrack) to do it? Boring generic orchestral shit is no fun!
#1311  June 15, 2014, 01:42:34 am
  • The Goddess Returns
I am holding my hand up in a conspiratorial manner and whispering "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEX VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS" to you.

Yeah, might as well. Fusion stated that Samus destroyed all of the X-Virus due to literally causing the entire planet to go boom and I wouldn't be surprised if they do pull Other M and make the Federation make more by taking and keeping more samples to clone them(and Ridley...and the Metroids...and ANOTHER Dark Samus as well).

#1312  June 15, 2014, 10:48:33 am
I have nothing to say as I like those games but, Metroid could use a new side character next to Samus Aran. The music also in the Metroid games are space based themes. It could use some variations with many instruments. More action and more tempo in it's themes.
#1313  June 15, 2014, 06:56:37 pm
anyway the point of my long shitty unconnected rant is like, cutscenes are too often used to deliver shitty story and games should make more of an effort to deliver story via gameplay, but cutscenes are still very useful, just don't write shitty stories, or something.

Result of the evolution of gaming that will never reverse itself. While there was always an natural desire for "realistic presentation," the standards for it have increased considerably from 20 years ago. Using gameplay to tell the majority of a story worked when there wasn't a viable alternative, but today it would be seen as lazy and underfunded.

Off tangent, but I feel bad for gamers growing up in today's industry. Sounds like nostalgia goggles are on too tight, but I can say for sure that gaming years ago was considerably better than now, mainly because there were more of them and because the aforementioned standards of realistic presentation have skewed priorities in an unfavorable direction imo.
#1314  June 16, 2014, 08:35:43 am
I have never seen a game that just focuses on gameplay. Even less, games always has a story. It would be interesting if you start playing a game and unlock the whole story at the end of the game to know the cause of it. That would be great there.
#1315  June 16, 2014, 09:04:48 am
i guess you haven't played a lot of games then
#1316  June 16, 2014, 09:20:22 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Result of the evolution of gaming that will never reverse itself. While there was always an natural desire for "realistic presentation," the standards for it have increased considerably from 20 years ago. Using gameplay to tell the majority of a story worked when there wasn't a viable alternative, but today it would be seen as lazy and underfunded.
Well, cutscenes have been around for a long time, I'm not sure the "use gameplay to deliver story" thing was every really super popular in comparison. But now that the constraints have been loosened and developers can include hours and hours of cutscenes, it definitely feels that often the focus has shifted to exalt those cutscenes over everything else, positioning them as the sole reward for doing well (to tie this back to Other M, recall that the reward for beating the game is a special mode that edits out all the gameplay and stitches the cutscenes together to form a terrible, shitty movie), and as a result the gameplay suffers. There needs to be a better balance, and while there's certainly a ton of games that can tread that line, it feels like the current AAA development environment is increasingly losing sight of that line.

I have never seen a game that just focuses on gameplay. Even less, games always has a story. It would be interesting if you start playing a game and unlock the whole story at the end of the game to know the cause of it. That would be great there.
Man, come on. We're not even talking about games with story vs. games with no story. And like, Tetris, or something?
#1317  June 16, 2014, 10:46:00 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

DMK

#1318  June 16, 2014, 01:50:21 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
#1319  June 16, 2014, 02:28:32 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Why ignore the Wii U and then put it on the Wii?
What the sense make
Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:33:14 pm by 1Ultima
#1320  June 16, 2014, 06:09:04 pm
way bigger install base