please post links
thx in advance
Re: platforming??
#2  September 11, 2007, 11:59:09 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
No there's not. You've actually got to REALLY know what you're doing in order to create a platformer.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  September 11, 2007, 12:12:13 pm
  • I never really was on your side.
    • www.mugenguild.com/~davidgee
What, don't be silly! Mugen should be used to make all types of 2D games. Why else would a prestigious source of information like Wikipedia consider the following remark relevant?

Wikipedia said:
While the engine is set up primarily for fighting game development, several other game types have been developed using it, including shooter and platformer style games.

EDIT: Just to be truthful, that absurd line, along with many others, will only be removed the day that KFM permanently quits Mugen. It would be the best thing that happened to Mugen since Winane's scrolls were found. And you're "missing the point," Demitri. This guy should never have read such a thing. It's possible to use a PC for home automation, but it's not mentioned here. (A very bad analogy that's missing the point, I'm sure.)
Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:36:33 pm by DavidGee
#4  September 11, 2007, 12:18:11 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
What ?

He wasn't saying that it's not possible, but that there isn't any tutorial. And yeah, coding a platformer as Bane does or a shooter as Tatsu does is quite a hard task, and you really have to know what you're doing.
#5  September 11, 2007, 02:00:26 pm
hmm well that too bad  :( guess im gonna start from scratch
thx again your replies
#6  September 11, 2007, 02:04:52 pm
    • France
My advice would be :

start simple. Try modifying KFM's code or other characters' code. Understand what they do, etc.
Then, once you've perfectly understood what are custom states, variables and helpers, start digging in Bane's code (his Contra and Mario bonus stages) to understand how he does things.

Then, start working on your platform stage version.
#7  September 11, 2007, 02:17:36 pm
  • I never really was on your side.
    • www.mugenguild.com/~davidgee
What you'll really want to do, lolokoa, is get this thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_maker

To argue with myself:
Wikipedia said:
It is also possible to create standard applications with Game Maker.

Yes, but that's not nearly as a stretch of something's intended and feasible uses as using Mugen for non-fighting games is. :hump:
Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:25:39 pm by DavidGee
#8  September 11, 2007, 02:26:39 pm
    • France
And you're "missing the point," Demitri. This guy should never have read such a thing. It's possible to use a PC for home automation, but it's not mentioned here. (A very bad analogy that's missing the point, I'm sure.)
Okay, now I get what you meant to say. Yeah, you can cut beef with a spoon, but better use a knife (I'm not good with analogies either :P).

Then yeah, Game maker is what he'd want if he really wants to make a full game out of it. But maybe he wants to make a platform stage so that people can use their SF and KOF chars in it ??? Whatever...