The Mugen Fighters Guild
MFG Public Library => Creator's Vault => Topic started by: Nep Heart on February 17, 2019, 07:38:43 am
Figured that it would be nice to compile my MUGEN creations into a single thread for the convenience of everyone, I feel this is about the right time for it. I mostly draw from various fighting games like Marvel vs Capcom, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, Eternal Fighter Zero and so on for inspiration and mesh mechanics I feel work together well. All characters featured here are designed with my own custom gameplay style in mind and, thus, I'll summarize the universal mechanics that they all share with each other in spite of their drastically different ways of being played.
All characters here are for MUGEN 1.0 and upward.
Side note, they also do not possess custom AI at the moment. So, if you've been convinced that they're a challenge as CPU opponents, you've been fooling yourself this whole time.
a - Series Ability
b - throw
c - Unique Ability
x - light attack
y - medium attack
z - heavy attack
s - taunt
Universal Abilities: Gameplay mechanics shared by all characters.
- Juggle Limiter: The juggle system works on a timer, starting at 4 seconds once a juggle begins and subsequent combo hits will extend the timer by fractional amounts. Once a distinctive circle appears on the opponent during combos, the very next attack that hit will always cause untechable knockdown. Supers are immune to this and in fact add an extra 2 seconds to the timer, so, take advantage of them at every chance you hit a combo limit.
- Stun Decay: Once a combo or blockstring begins, a timer is set in place that will reduce hitstun and blockstun until the opponent is no longer in hit state. The hitstun and guardstun multipliers are as followed; less than 4 seconds = 100%, 4 seconds = 75%, 8 seconds = 25%, 16 seconds = 10%, 20 and beyond seconds = 0%. This means certain chains, links and juggles that work early on may fail to work later in combos.
- Hit Push Back: Both the character and their opponent will experience progressively increased push back the higher the combo hit count increases, but only against grounded targets. To a lesser extent, the character will experience progressively increased push back if hitting grounded opponents while guarding.
- Launcher: Most characters in this collection can initiate aerial combos via performing a jump cancel off a normal attack that sends the opponent straight upward. It should be noted that some characters do not have a traditional launcher and launchers cannot be jump cancelled on block.
- Attack Jump Cancel: Most normal attacks can be jump cancelled on hit and, to a lesser extent, on block as a means to exert pressure, retreat safely or perform combos. However, not all normals can be jump cancelled, more so on block in the case of moves like launchers and dash attacks, although few exceptions exist.
- Power Meter: Power cannot be gained from whiffing attacks, it can only be built up from landing attacks or having attacks land on the character as well as completing taunts, a succesful Gold Burst and other means depending on the Series Abilities and other factors the character possesses to earn power. All characters max out with 5 stocks of power in which can be spent on supers, guard cancels and qualities dictated by Series and/or Unique Abilities.
- Chain Combo: All characters have access to chain combos where stronger levels of normals can be cancelled off of weaker normals in progression, command normals being subjected to the same rules. It should be noted that most characters can cancel either standing, crouching or command normals from one another even within the same strength type (backwards z or crouching z can be cancelled off of z), although which can be cancelled from what within the same strength varies from character to character. It should be noted that specials can canceled from out of almost any normal and supers can cancel from out of almost any normal or special.
- Invalid Combo: Any combo continued from a juggle from which the opponent could have recovered, but chose not to do so are considered invalid combos. While they incur no penalty, they run the potential risk of the opponent retaliating before the combo can be extended.
- Damage Scaling: All attacks possesses their own unique damage reduction modifier during combos and a multi-hit attack in most cases will only apply the modifier on the last hit. All characters' damage reduction during combos will have a 20% minimal threshold in which damage cannot go lower once reached.
- Guts: As combos tend to be very damaging, a passive feature in which combo damage is mitigated based on current life. The less health a character has, the more combo damage is mitigated. However, the first hit will always deal full damage, making powerful single-hit attacks deal more effective damage at lower life percentages.
- Teching: A character can recover prematurely right before hitting the ground or while in mid-air, moving towards a specific direction depending on the directional input right as the recovery command is inputted.
- Wall Jump: All characters possess at least a recovery wall jump that is an alternative to air teching, however, few characters can also wall jump on demand as long as they're against a corner in mid-air.
- Guard Cancel Attack: Characters can break out of guardstun by shoving the opponent away, resetting combatants into neutral game. Has invincibility throughout most of the attack and most characters can canceled a GCA into certain supers on hit. Can only GCA when grounded.
- Guard Cancel Dash: Characters can break out of guard to dash a distance forward, passing through opponents with plenty of invulnerability to allow her to escape pressure zones. Can GCD on the ground or mid-air.
- Mid-Air Jump: All characters can jump while in mid-air once before touching the ground, although some rare exceptions of more than one mid-air jump exist.
- Super Jump: All characters in this collection are capable of making one great jump that typically goes higher than a full double jump, although distances and velocities can vary between characters. Mid-air jumps cannot be used once a super jump is performed.
- Air Dash: All characters can air dash, although directions and velocities vary between characters. Typically, characters can only air dash once before touching the ground, although some can air dash up to twice and even rarer cases of air dashing more than that do exist. Mid-air jumps cannot be done during an air dash.
- Fast Fall: All characters can increase their aerial descent to quickly position themselves back onto the ground. Some characters may have additional air dash directions if they lack a fast fall.
- Throws: All characters have a ground and mid-air grab that all vary greatly, many capable of extending or starting combos. It should be noted that grounded grabs cannot hit airborne opponents and air grabs cannot hit grounded opponents. Both versions are unblockable and reach varies between characters, however, grounded grabs can be broken out of if the opponent taps any button while holding any direction within 6 frames of the grab hitting.
- Burst: Characters from this collection can break out of hitstun from most normal and special attacks, but this requires 45 seconds to recharge after each use, although taking damage will speed up the process. If bursting is used as a counter hit, this will fill the character's meter to its maximum amount.
- Spell Bonus: Characters in this collection who successfully make the first unblocked hit of a round will be rewarded with 1000 additional power.
- Counter Hit: Anyone in this cast who interrupts the opponent mid-attack with their own attack will deal double damage on the first hit and, with most heavy normals, deal unique knockback that is substantially longer and more advantageous than any typical normal.
- Guard Crush: A specialized meter at the lower part of the opponent's side of the screen is an indication of how close they are from being guard crushed as a means to discourage turtling. Once the meter is fully depleted from repeated guarding, the opponent will be guard crushed, a special state that leaves them completely open to any attack for a brief period of time. The guard crush meter will slowly regenerate as long as the opponent isn't in guardstun or hitstun. The guard crush meter goes back to full after a successful guard crush.
Series Abilities: Gameplay mechanics only shared by characters from the same series type.
- Magia Shield: A strictly-timed guard that differs from ordinary blocking which negates guard stun, chip damage as well as restore small amounts of life and even increase the Soul Gem gauge if successful. In addition, it generates a weak magical blast that can knock the opponent away to create breathing room between combatants. Fails against throws.
- Soul Gem: All Puella Magi draw magical power from their Soul Gem; in gameplay, this translates into a mechanic that they all share determined by Soul Gem meter underneath their life bar. Playing actively (remaining in constant movement forward and attacking) will gradually increase the gauge while passive actions (such as receiving hitstun, moving backwards without attacking, receiving hitstun/blockstun or stationing in one spot) will decrease the gauge. In addition, their is automatic power gain when playing actively and power drain when playing passively. When the Soul Gem gauge is full, Puella Magi can choose to enter a special state called "Magia Overflow" in which not only automatic meter gain is tripled and meter loss is doubled, but all normals gain a 25% damage bonus, all specials and supers gain a 10% damage bonus, Guard Crush damage is doubled as well as the Puella Magi's life gradually being restored for playing actively or gradually lose life for playing passively. This Magia Overflow Mode lasts for 20 seconds after entry, although the timer resets if carried between rounds.
- Brave Guard: A strictly-timed block that differs from ordinary guarding as the opponent will be pushed back a good distance while the player a fair amount of invulnerability. Useful for alleviating pressure and forcing reckless opponents into whiffing attacks. Fails against throws.
- Spell Mode: Can be used at any time when in idle state or from connecting most normals and specials at the cost of power, but can only be used once per round. Life is restored upon activation in which the amount is determined depending on how much power the user had at the time (up to 250 life). A timer appears and the stage darkens for a 30 second countdown in which all level 1 supers, Guard Cancel Attacks and Guard Dash Cancels only cost 500 power each and level 3 supers have their cost reduced to 2000 power during Spell Mode. In addition, minimum damage scaling is mitigated from 30% to 40% along with stun decay and the juggle timers as well as the game timer are temporarily disabled during Spell Mode.
- Dodge: A utility maneuver used for evasion or for approach that has a generous amounts of invulnerability. Ground version moves forward or backward on the ground, increasing forward distance if done during a dash. The air version slows momentum while hopping slightly. However, all versions are completely vulnerable to any throw based moves.
- Break: Allows for exiting of specific special moves before their attack frames are finished, allowing for intricate combos and blockstrings as well as bait out opponents in neutral. However, EX Specials are not Break capable.
- EX Specials: Enhanced versions of special moves that not only have increased power and additional properties, but they add 1 second to the juggle timer and reduce the stun decay timer by 1.5 seconds each. An Ex Special costs the equivalent of 1/6th of a full Hyper Drive gauge. EX Specials will always be the c version of any special generally speaking.
- Hyper Drive Mode: A skill resource indicated by a special bar under the lifebar which fills up when moves hit, are guarded, while being hit or while guarding, filling slower in order of those conditions. Requiring at least 1/5th of the Hyper Drive gauge filled as indicated by the "OK" signal, entering this mode grants a 25% damage increase for all attacks, movement speed is increased by 25%, an extra air dash is acquired, triple jumping is possible, power gain is doubled, health is recovered in proportion to the Hyper Drive meter on activation (up to 100 life restored) and all EX Specials cost only 1/12th of the Hyper Drive Gauge. In additional, specials can be canceled into EX Specials. Furthermore, upon activation, 3 seconds is added to the juggle timer and 4 seconds is deducted from the stun decay timer. The duration of this modes depends on how much meter of the Hyper Drive gauge has been filled with the maximum of 20 seconds. Canceling a normal or special into Hyper Drive Mode during a combo incurs slightly more hitstun, allowing for powerful combo extensions. While Hyper Drive Mode is active, the character's lv3 super is replaced by a Neo Max, a powerful attack that ignores damage scaling, but uses up the remainder of the Hyper Drive Mode timer.
- Reflection Guard: A specialized type of guarding that provides brief invulnerability while negating both guardstun and chip damage with the added benefit of reducing chip damage as well as pushing the opponent a distance away while negating pushback on the player. Drains 1000 power on the first use until user is no longer blocking. Fails against throws or if meter is below 1000 power.
- Blast: The main bonus mechanic that is divided by two types; Combo Blast and Power Blast. Combo Blasts can be activated while in the middle of performing combos with normals and specials, which gives a 1000 power bonus and has more vertical knockback as well as 25% increased damage, movement speed is increased by 25%, mitigates damage scaling by 25% and restores up to 3 seconds to the juggle timer. Power Blast will give 1000 power normally or 2000 power on counter hit as well as restore life by 150 on hit, increase defense by 15%, gives gradual amounts of power passively and has a more horizontal knockback. Both versions of Blast lasts for 20 seconds and the recharge period is based on current life x 3 at the time Blast begins (i.e.: 1000 life means 3000 frames or 50 seconds). If a character is at 30% life or less, then the recharge time will not go lower than that value accordingly. Therefore, characters with lower life values tend to have less recharge time.
Eternal Fighter Zero
- Recoil Guard: A strictly-timed block differing from ordinary guarding as it negates guardstun, chip damage and pushback as well as restore a some guard crush meter as well as a bit of power meter gain and Reinforce meter. Five consecutive Recoil Guards restore a small amount of life. The small pausetime incurs more lag on the opponent's repelled move, although they can Recoil Guard any attempt to counter off a Recoil Guard provided they have the same mechanic. Fails against throws.
- Reinforce: A passive ability indicated by a specialized gauge in which allows access to Reinforce Specials, enhanced specials that have invulnerability on start-up that replaces the "z" button variations of most specials as long as she has enough Reinforce meter to spend (using Reinforce moves with a red meter spends the entire bar while using Reinforce moves with a glowing meter only takes up 1/4th of the bar). The character also has increased frame advantage, combos start with mitigated damage scaling (up to 110%) and inflict increased Guard Crush Damage with higher Reinforce levels. However, the meter temporarily halts at lower levels and drains at max level while caught in hitstun. The Reinforce meter fills up automatically and will fill up twice as fast while blocking attacks.
- Instant Charge: Certain normals, specials and even supers can be canceled prematurely on hit and on block if the Reinforce gauge is in the red and glowing stage, consuming what's left of it. Reduces the stun decay timer, increases the juggle timer and reduces damage scaling. Useful for extending combos or to make a move safe on block.
Name: Sayaka Miki
Origin: Puella Magi
Release Date: 10/14/2018
Unique Ability: Allegro
Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihlJFdprY-GA5Bma6 (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihlJFdprY-GA5Bma6)
Name: Hieda No Akyuu
Origin: Touhou Project
Release Date: 11/05/2018
Life: 1050 (level 0), 1155 (level 1), 1270 (level 2), 1398 (level 3), 1537 (level max)
Unique Ability: Gumonji
Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37Dihldh03_t_dLhmO7h (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37Dihldh03_t_dLhmO7h)
Name: Homura Akemi
Origin: Puella Magi
Release Date: 12/04/2018
Unique Ability: Spatial Movement
Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihnFereY4N0FvYRfx (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihnFereY4N0FvYRfx)
Name: Hotaru Futaba
Origin: Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Release Date: 01/01/2019
Unique Ability: Stance
Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihnRWmPv0CiuUrA4j (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihnRWmPv0CiuUrA4j)
Name: Haruhi Suzumiya
Origin: The Haruhi Suzumiya series
Release Date: 2/20/2019
Unique Ability: SOS Assists
Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihxKgHzIQ9gNHYhGY (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvDqTmHZ37DihxKgHzIQ9gNHYhGY)
Name: Mio Kouzuki
Origin: ONE: Kagayaku Kisetsu e
Release Date: 03/13/2019
Archetype: Stance/Rushdown (Short Range Mode)/Zoning (Long Range Mode)
Unique Ability: Mode Change, Glide
Name: Doppel Nanase
Origin: Eternal Fighter Zero original
Release Date: 04/17/2019
Life: 1200 (Unenlightened), 1440 (Enlightened)
Unique Ability: Parry, Maiden Enlightenment
Name: Nayuki Minase
Release Date: 05/08/2019
Unique Ability: Keropi
Name: Mai Kawasumi
Release Date: 06/14/2019
Unique Ability: Hope, Syoukaki
With Haruhi now released, I have updated the first post accordingly.
With Mio's release and Doppel's announcement, the first post has been updated to reflect the news.
With Doppel Nanase's release, Nayuki Minase's announcement from a few weeks ago as well as some universal mechanic revisions and additions, the first post has been updated accordingly.
Now you have a grappler to play with, Umezono.
With Nayuki's release as well as the universal mechanic revisions and Mai Kawasumi's announcement, the first post has been updated to reflect all that.
Since Mai has been released and several gameplay mechanic overhauls have been made, the list has been updated.