YesNoOk

Good Program for Pixel art animation? (Read 2962 times)

Started by DragonSlayerEX, October 22, 2011, 04:13:05 am
Share this topic:
Good Program for Pixel art animation?
#1  October 22, 2011, 04:13:05 am
  • StormEX
  • Not Everything Is Your Fault
    • USA
    • Skype - Zay.osiris
    • StormEX-Team.com/
I'm trying to get my artistic skills back, sense I haven't been doing much lately (Sprite Wise). So what'll be a good program to use for sketching/Tracing/Animating pixel art? I know paint shop pro's one, but I can't get the hang of it. Anything else in mind?
Re: Good Program for Pixel art animation?
#2  October 22, 2011, 04:38:10 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
For animating purposes where you can view the animation in progress, you'll probably hear the suggestions of either GraphicsGale or ProMotion.  If you have Jasc Animation Shop along with your copy of Paint Shop Pro, it does a fairly good job of letting you test your animations although you'd likely be starting the frames in PSP so it isn't as standalone as the others.
#3  October 22, 2011, 04:41:58 am
  • StormEX
  • Not Everything Is Your Fault
    • USA
    • Skype - Zay.osiris
    • StormEX-Team.com/
is this how you do it? I've literally been trying to use MS paint for animation, and it hasn't been fun... --;
#4  October 22, 2011, 04:52:07 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
While the price is right, MS Paint really is not the idea tool for the job. I personally swear by GraphicsGale these days for animation purposes although I often still start the sprites in a separate program like an older version of Paint Shop Pro I keep around specifically for spritework. Lets you work with layers which helps when you need to work on overlapping pieces, you can view the animation playing in a separate window as you are editing the frames for it, and it can export to quite a few useful formats although sadly not pcx directly from what I recall.
#5  October 22, 2011, 04:57:42 am
  • SNK is life
In the past I've animated in Paint, but it's tedious having to move through the frames by clicking and going back and forth through windows. I bet there are better methods.

I use Graphics Gale as well, since the user friendly layers, and the Pixel-Artist friendly color picking just by right clicking is something easy to get used to, but I wish it was a easily accessible as Paint sometimes. IMO Gale is balls when it comes to copy/pasting areas, but it's great at rotating at pixel perfection.

I think Gale might be the best program for a spriter, I just haven't understood all of it yet :P
#6  October 22, 2011, 05:21:46 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Ugh, forgot that yes, you need to at least set up some shortcuts for a few key functions to really get the most out of GraphicsGale. I'd recommend setting single key shortcuts for things like color selection, frame advance back and forth at the least to speed up workflow a bit.
#7  October 22, 2011, 04:16:37 pm
  • Q
I use GIMP for it, it has animation previews, that can popout of the window, so you can see how they'd look on something else, along with other type stuff. I don't know how it compares to other animation programs.
#8  October 22, 2011, 05:11:25 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I use gfx gale, setting up the shortcuts is a must for me, I don't use the tools panel at all and swap constantly between color picker and brush; never had any problem with copy pasting though I tend to use layers for that, while I use frames for animating.
#9  October 22, 2011, 08:27:35 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
[e]: You do know you can assign a shortcut to automatically pick the color you are hovering over as your first or second color, right? Won't even need to switch between color picker and the brush that way.
#10  October 23, 2011, 02:30:23 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yep, thats what i meant by swapping, it was not clear/relevant enough i guess.
#11  October 30, 2011, 07:49:27 pm
  • WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR?!
    • USA
I also recommend Fireworks, as it can be capable for sprites, though I rarely see some that actually use it.
Current Status: N/A
#12  November 28, 2011, 07:19:55 pm
Animation shop Pro.

The best. can take a video and turn it into a gif straight. Can turn an animation into pcx images straight, can crop 1000 images at the same time..;;
My stages exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2YZO7ut5I

Find them at: http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat294

You are free to use the materials in the stages I released before 2014. Credits are always appreciated.