YesNoOk

Leaked memo authorizes drone strikes on US citizens without threat of attack (Read 2617 times)

Started by Ricepigeon, February 06, 2013, 03:32:23 pm
Share this topic:

hjk

Re: Leaked memo authorizes drone strikes on US citizens without threat of attack
#41  February 07, 2013, 02:17:10 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
Let's put the question a different way: Does anyone really believe there's anything we can do about it?

I thought this was old news that everyone had already forgotten about (like the whole wikileaks scandal and Trayvon Martin). Unfortunately once this report runs its course it will be forgotten, so, I've naturally stopped caring - it'll happen anyway.
LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
Re: Leaked memo authorizes drone strikes on US citizens without threat of attack
#42  February 07, 2013, 02:19:13 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
I don't get it. If they have identified someone, and there's no immediate threat, why is arrest and interrogation or surveillance not good enough ? It's actually a disservice to kill the guy rather than learning stuff from him. And if he's training other people or divulging vital information, then they can grab him for that instead of killing him "just to be safe". Or is that just a way to put people out of commission even when they don't have any legally acceptable proof ? Is that what it is, the government playing Dexter Morgan ?

After reading it again it sounds like the rationale is "he's the enemy, we need to kill him before he plots something bad" nor do they want to expend the manpower to actually catch the guy. Pretty much "why risk a soldier's life to catch him when we can just do a drone strike" in a sense, at least thats what I'm getting out of it.

Still fucked up and utterly stupid though

not quite. the conclusion clearly states that one of the conditions for the legitimacy of such a lethal force (including drones) is that the united states continues to monitor whether capture becomes feasible. in other words, at any point where if and only if that operation becomes feasible (the necessary preparations completed fast enough, with the support of the country where a terrorist organization is located). that requirement for the constitutionality of a deployment of a drone strike would not be fulfilled

Posted: February 07, 2013, 02:44:52 pm
I blame the moral/ethical issues surrounding it. Considering that the targets the memo in question is talking about are US citizens, people are going to scream that such "assassinations" are a violation of their guaranteed Sixth (and possibly even Eighth) amendment rights, which the federal government clearly is disregarding. It raises the question of which is more absolute: citizen's rights or "national security"?

this is because the us is in a state of war with a non-state actor. being a state of war, criminal processes would not apply to say, a nazi spy with us citizenry, though there is the military court that judges violations of officers or soldiers of the rules of war

#43  February 07, 2013, 04:05:32 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

hjk

#44  February 07, 2013, 04:50:00 pm
    • Afghanistan

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)

#45  February 07, 2013, 07:25:38 pm
  • Shakespear.
#46  February 07, 2013, 10:53:52 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman

hjk

#47  February 08, 2013, 03:19:44 am
    • Afghanistan
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
hahahah yes, true. Pop.
EDIT: ^ not laughing at that link, just that it is silly of me to expect that.  Just read that, and holy shit that's horrible, and I suspect Way too common. (ONCE is too common for that if you ask me.)
You should give yourself more credit. You speak VERY clearly and you tend to write VERY well.