YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat Series Discussion (Read 8854 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, July 08, 2011, 11:05:24 pm
Share this topic:
Mortal Kombat Series Discussion
#1  July 08, 2011, 11:05:24 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

Yarr,

we have Tekken, KOF and SS discussion threads..so it cant hurt to have a Mortal Kombat Series discussion thread i thought.. and before someone else starts it...GBK does it.

I am a big fan of fighting games since 1992 ..first one i played was SF2, soon followed by MK on the SNES. While it is not my all time favourite series when it comes to playing it, MK was always something special for me. Maybe because i got a quite cool Movie back than..maybe it was the characterdesign or simply the realistic looking digi sprites, the violence, the music or the story.

The series has it ups and downs...but probably more downs than any other big fighting game series. While tekken went on a straight route - every sequel had more characters, more moves, better graphics, gameplay tweaks - the MK series gameplay changed nearly from game to game...instead of having a stable roster, they excluded even fan favourites for some parts (Scorpion, Raiden in MK3 as example, Liu Kang in MK DA etc.)

There are many many...too many mistakes done in the MK games..but after all..since the new Mortal kombat was announced and released it seems that the MK series has a good chance to be taken as a serious competition for Street Fighter and Tekken. Just everything what could be improved was improved, from the characterdesign to the gameplay.

A web- series was and is in production re-telling the MK story in very different views, and chances are that we see a new MK movie, done by Warner Bros somewhen in the future. I wish the Mk developer team good luck and success with future Mortal Kombat games..since MK2011 seems to be a success, it looks like we will see more games of the series sooner or later.

I myself wouldnt mind a new Mk game like Shaolin Monks..that was seriously the best game in the last 9 years.

What are your opinions about the series now after Mortal Kombat 2011 ?

Re: Mortal Kombat Series Discussion
#2  July 08, 2011, 11:08:10 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
MK games are always good drinking party games. especially when you are then only one not drinking.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#3  July 08, 2011, 11:16:50 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
If you are someone who needs to play against drunk friends to win..well  how do MK fans call such people?

... noobs?

--;
#4  July 08, 2011, 11:17:57 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I love MK, but I understand why it's the black sheep of fighting game franchises.  However, I think MK9 has easily trumped SF4 as far as being a solid game goes.  Not because I think SF4 is bad, just because I really really like MK9.
#5  July 08, 2011, 11:26:06 pm
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
I always liked Mortal Kombat 2 better, MK3 was too disappointing and specially Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with that penguin animality for Scorpion O_o Well, I liked Mortal Kombat 4, but I'm not sure if I'll try MK9 (which got polemic due a certain brazilian who got stolen copies from the game direct from the factory, he got jailed and may not play the game again, even though he ended up being the first in illegal means).
-Toshio Tenma
#6  July 08, 2011, 11:35:34 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
If you are someone who needs to play against drunk friends to win..well  how do MK fans call such people?

... noobs?

--;
What i mean that they are absolutely hilarious to play. I keep cracking up at the game and my friends.

I dont play MK seriously. I might with MK9 but i need to get it first :V
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#7  July 09, 2011, 12:05:04 am
  • Die you son of a bitch
I honestly think the mortal kombat series has one of the most interesting plots for a fighting game.

Not only as a whole but in individual character stories as well. Scorpions story for example. What other fighting game has a ninja zombie from hell who wants to kill an ice ninja from a rival tribe for causing his family and tribes death?

Just. Awesome
#8  July 09, 2011, 12:09:02 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • bloon
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/mainsite/smoothsilksamples.html
mk has and most likely will always be a mess of a series.

but there's one thing i will give the series, and that's a great sense of humor. ermac/skarlet's origin story, 'toasty', the massive line-up of rumored characters including a mexican stryker headswap and an oni platypus cyber ninja, countless anagrams using the names of staff members, rain being a jojo's-esque music reference, and fergus mccgovern
#9  July 09, 2011, 03:48:00 am

I think the MK series has a real chance to redeem itself in the eyes of the fighting game fans, who have long held a disappointed view of the game.... Although the original MK series was one of the biggest fighting game franchises (maybe even THE biggest, that's debatable), it became a household name, that even fareweather fans of fighting games had esteemed (probably more than any other fighting game in history).... However, in a since, that was the problem... Fareweather fans ate it up, but the hard core fighting game fan, the critics, weren't so much fans of it.... Largely because there were many other fighting games that were all around better put together... Gaming series' like Street Fighter, Tekken, King Of Fighters, Art Of Fighting, Fatal Fury, Darkstalkers, etc... But, Virtua Fighter meanwhile was massively popular, even though they lacked unique chars or storylines (which was one thing MK had plenty of). Of coarse I'm not saying VF was a bad series either, I love VF's game play, I do see signs that they may be trying to get better at making more unique chars and storylines as well... But that's another issue entirely.

So I see this as a chance for the MK series to regain (or more accurately, to gain) the respect of the more hard core fans of the fighting game genres...... Rather than relying on the appeal to fareweather fans.
#10  July 10, 2011, 04:56:20 am
Who's ready to play some classic MK...in HD!

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#11  July 10, 2011, 12:44:08 pm
I was actually talking about MK to a friend the other day. We were talking about how MK was a "cool" fighting game. When I was younger I played MK1 1st and thought it was awesome with Scorpion and Sub-zero (brilliant character names). Then played MK2 and got to play as Reptile, who is probably still my sentimental favourite MK character (no doubt because he was a secret character in MK1). I didn't really like MK3, but much preferred UMK3 and MK3T. I thought MK4 was a step in the wrong direction; I enjoyed deadly alliance, and hated Armageddon. I don't think MK9 is really a great game.

MK used to have things like fatalities, which the only way to learn was either by discovering it by yourself or through word of mouth. I remember a kid telling me "this is how you do Liu Kangs dragon fatality", I went home all excited and it didn't work! But then I went through and tried the combination with other characters and it ended up being Jax's fatality ;D MK for me has lots of memories like that which make me look back on the series fondly and why I am still always interested in MK.

I always shine!
#12  July 10, 2011, 01:06:28 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
That with the cancelled HD Mortal Kombat and the MK 1-3 arcade trilogy instead was definitive a big step in the wrong direction from the looks of the screens, made by a dissapointed UI developer of the game

I have still hopes that we might see something cool next year  for the 20 years anniversary of Mortal Kombat

@ the_mith yes MK 4 was indeed a step into the wrong direction, while they added from 2D to 3D they didnt use the 3D really, but instad the franchise lost its back than really cool gimmick of the digitized actors.

I believe that till today, fans of the series were hoping for a new Mk with real actors. I myself did..when the ps3 was announced i seriously hoped for a nearly photorealistic looking Mortal Kombat.

I guess the technique itself is there..maybe its just too expensive?
#13  July 10, 2011, 03:04:58 pm
  • You deserve respect and justice, so we demand it!
    • USA
I'm really loving Mortal Kombat 9! It is well worth the money!
(I got the 360 version) So no Kratos, but its not like I care...   --;

xD
YouTube | Google

Spoiler: You want to know what really pisses me off? (click to see content)
#14  July 11, 2011, 09:24:31 am

xD

Why would Kratos be in a MK game?
#15  July 11, 2011, 10:08:53 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
#16  July 11, 2011, 09:33:33 pm
    • USA
I've enjoyed Mortal Kombat manly because its easier for me to perform combos than any other fighting games. Special moves were sort of a pain to remember in the MK 1-3, but thanks to the newer MK games, I can perform them a lot easier (resulting in better combos lol).

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Mortal Kombat HD Collection? Were they using new actors to recreate the sprites or where they just making everything HD?

#17  July 11, 2011, 10:15:17 pm

xD

Why would Kratos be in a MK game?

Lets Play Jeopardy!

Category guest characters in videogames!

Kratos is in MK9 as a guest character!

This I didn't know... I haven't really played MK9, I've seen trailers of it and what not though... What other guest chars appear in MK9?
#18  July 11, 2011, 10:54:56 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Kratos is the only one, and he is obviously only in the PS3 version
#19  July 12, 2011, 03:22:19 pm
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
Kratos is the only one, and he is obviously only in the PS3 version
Kratos fatalities are quite brutal, pretty much like the other characters as well. I believe he may appear in a future sequel of MK on Playstation 3 or other videogames made by Sony.
-Toshio Tenma
#20  August 05, 2012, 07:01:19 am
  • Certified Degenerate
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
le bump

well, since this is the official mortal kombat thread it seems like the appropiate place to ask this since asking someplace else would just result in a "lol mortal kombat" reply.

... anyhow. i suddenly had the urge to play mk thanks to the "injustice" trailers and whatnot. so i've dug some good ol' mk2 (juano16's full game to be exact, which i do reccomend). well long story short i wanted to try one of those fancy 3d mk games you kids play nowdays

sadly i'm a poor person and only own a ps2 and a wii (sad, isn't?) so well, my options are narrowed to: deadly alliance, deception and armageddon (there's also shaolin monks which i DO plan to get)

so for someone who's last game in the franchise was mk4 and the last game i liked was mk2 which of the above do you guys reccomend?
#21  August 05, 2012, 07:08:59 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
If you had to choose one of those, I think Deception is the best bet.  It's the.....least bad of those three.
#22  August 05, 2012, 09:14:22 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Deception is by far the worst of the three, MK Deadly Alliance is the way to go.
#23  August 05, 2012, 09:28:23 am
  • You PC bro?
Armageddon was cool though. I'm pretty sure the main reason some of you hate it is because of the create-a-fatality. The fatalities aren't that hard to pull off. I found a great 11 hit fatality thats hackin awesome! :D
#24  August 05, 2012, 09:30:24 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
MK9 is the best of all... good combos, solid gameplay, cool fatalities, good history mode, challenge tower, roster, etc etc

old ones were... mmhhhh kinda bad
            Zorf Giudecca

SNT

#25  August 05, 2012, 09:39:27 am
  • Sodium Nonchalance Technician
    • Australia
    • thesaltminedotcom.wordpress.com
If you're hosting your stuff on 4Shared, you might as well not release it at all.
#26  August 05, 2012, 11:43:48 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
^^ why would bastard wolf even care if he plays the game alone and not with other people?

#27  August 05, 2012, 11:44:07 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Deception is by far the worst of the three, MK Deadly Alliance is the way to go.

Seriously?

Deception is by far the best MK game for the PS2/GC/Xbox era. It was filled to the brim with content and felt less like a rush job than any of the other two games.

The others are completely gimped compared to this release: Missing second fatalities, missing stage fatalities, crap characters that no one cared for (Deception brought some of the classic ones back), etc...

Admittedly, the Konquest mode WAS rushed, but it was playable and the game had SO much stuff, that it ultimately didn't matter much.

The only good thing about Deadly alliance were the graphics. They were a bit better than Deception and Armageddon, but the overall game was bare-bones and shallow.

Armageddon was the equivalent of too little butter spread over too much bread. There were a LOT of characters, but in exchange for all the characters, they all ended up each having only two fighting styles (I don't understand why they couldn't leave it at two + weapon. Maybe not enough fighting styles? Just have some characters share certain fighting styles! Not both, but one at least!. They never had a problem with everyone having the EXACT same basic moves in previous games :D) Everything else was bare-bones and shallow, too. The Konquest mode was much improved, so I have to give them that.

Armageddon was cool though. I'm pretty sure the main reason some of you hate it is because of the create-a-fatality. The fatalities aren't that hard to pull off. I found a great 11 hit fatality thats hackin awesome! :D

No, we hated it because everyone had the SAME fatalities. Nobody complained that they were hard to do, they complained about how shitty and boring they were.
#28  August 05, 2012, 11:52:07 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • bloon
    • USA
no, we hated it because it focused too much on bringing it back rather than noticing the gameplay was still incredibly clunky, and even slower this time. also because the story mode brought two utterly unlikable and flat new characters, the creation mode still used the same stupid profile system, you would end up buying attacks for combo strings that were actually just the same attack but with a different name and price, arcade mode has about maybe 4 variants, blaze being the fucking final boss, some characters who would lose a round would groan in a default male voice they weren't supposed to have (namely nitara), and i can go on and on and on

the fatalities were the last thing i cared about.

DMK

#29  August 05, 2012, 01:11:33 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
I'll put a vote towards Deception, but I enjoyed Deadly Alliance too....., but go with Deception for sure.

On a side thought, how does Mortal Kombat Arcade PC port run? I heard it got taken down and then put back up and the 360 version may have or may not of have gotten the proper patches to fix its problems. If its good though I'd suggest picking that up, but damn did that arcade perfect A.I. piss me off.
#30  August 05, 2012, 04:56:38 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

Seriously?

Deception is by far the best MK game for the PS2/GC/Xbox era. It was filled to the brim with content and felt less like a rush job than any of the other two games.

The others are completely gimped compared to this release: Missing second fatalities, missing stage fatalities, crap characters that no one cared for (Deception brought some of the classic ones back), etc...

Admittedly, the Konquest mode WAS rushed, but it was playable and the game had SO much stuff, that it ultimately didn't matter much.

The only good thing about Deadly alliance were the graphics. They were a bit better than Deception and Armageddon, but the overall game was bare-bones and shallow.

Armageddon was the equivalent of too little butter spread over too much bread. There were a LOT of characters, but in exchange for all the characters, they all ended up each having only two fighting styles (I don't understand why they couldn't leave it at two + weapon. Maybe not enough fighting styles? Just have some characters share certain fighting styles! Not both, but one at least!. They never had a problem with everyone having the EXACT same basic moves in previous games :D) Everything else was bare-bones and shallow, too. The Konquest mode was much improved, so I have to give them that.

I guess it really depends on the taste, all three games MKDA, MKD and MKA had all some serious flaws but all had seriously great features as well.

What i liked about MKDA was most of all the story and how it was told trough the character endings and the Konquest mode ..texts. The running around and the atmosphere in the MKD Konquest mode was fun as well but in the end it lacked the deep and dark atmosphere i liked about MKDA. Especially the stages and the music but also many of the characterdesigns were really great for this game. Take Scorpion and Sub Zero as example.

In MKDA Scorpion had more of a classic Ninja look but added details and weapons, Sub Zero was shown without his mask, aged and the frozen arms. All in all my favourite designs of both characters. In MKD the Scorpion was just more of the same, and Subby..well he changed to a weird Shredder clone.

Gameplay wise i think just all three games can..and should better be forgotten. They added a few not sooo bad features like the stage fatalities and the breakers and the 3 styles system was initally cool but sadly badly realized ..in a game like MK9 it could have worked a ton better i think.

Since the games, including MK Shaolin Monks are all pretty cheap now i would recommend fans just all of them, and be it just for the story and to see how MK games looked and played during the last console generation.

Compared with most other fighting game series on the PS2 like Tekken, SoulCalibur, the many many SNK games, Bloody Roar and probably a few more they are not so good. (MK Shaolin Monks excluded because it was awesome)

Posted: August 05, 2012, 04:57:59 pm

Seriously?

I guess it really depends on the taste, all three games MKDA, MKD and MKA had all some serious flaws but all had seriously great features as well.

What i liked about MKDA was most of all the story and how it was told trough the character endings and the Konquest mode ..texts. The running around and the atmosphere in the MKD Konquest mode was fun as well but in the end it lacked the deep and dark atmosphere i liked about MKDA. Especially the stages and the music but also many of the characterdesigns were really great for this game. Take Scorpion and Sub Zero as example.

In MKDA Scorpion had more of a classic Ninja look but added details and weapons, Sub Zero was shown without his mask, aged and the frozen arms. All in all my favourite designs of both characters. In MKD the Scorpion was just more of the same, and Subby..well he changed to a weird Shredder clone.

Gameplay wise i think just all three games can..and should better be forgotten. They added a few not sooo bad features like the stage fatalities and the breakers and the 3 styles system was initally cool but sadly badly realized ..in a game like MK9 it could have worked a ton better i think.

Since the games, including MK Shaolin Monks are all pretty cheap now i would recommend fans just all of them, and be it just for the story and to see how MK games looked and played during the last console generation.

Compared with most other fighting game series on the PS2 like Tekken, SoulCalibur, the many many SNK games, Bloody Roar and probably a few more they are not so good. (MK Shaolin Monks excluded because it was awesome)

Fatality wise, MKD had in most cases the best (most brutal) ones and also added the funny hara kiri`s, but normally you dont care for fatalities after you have seen them multiple times anyway or?
#31  August 05, 2012, 06:30:49 pm
my advice would be not playing any of those because it's going to make you fucking hate mortal kombat. wait until you can play mortal kombat 9. play the old 2d shit meanwhile.
#32  August 05, 2012, 06:35:46 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • bloon
    • USA
or further immerse yourself in the utter ridiculousness of the series and play the genesis hack 'ultimate mortal kombat trilogy'. it really is the true mk experience
#33  August 06, 2012, 05:04:21 am
  • y'ello.
    • cadepowers2003@hotmail.com
Mortal Kombat 2 was possibly the best of the Old school MK's. Middle year, Xbox/PS2 type games, is probably Deception, Minus the Story. Deadly Alliance was great, It had cool fighting, slightly better graphics, and just outraging awesome kombat. Armageddon was over the top, awesome, except for, Kreate a fatality, it was...pretty bad, but the konquest was awesome, as it should be. MKvsDCU...Utterly terribly, nothing to see here. MK9 was the BRINK of awesome, in Mortal Kombat, Story mode is as good as ever, telling the story of MK1,MK2,and MK3. Including the Challenge tower and a excellent character roster, from Scorpion to Cyber Sub-Zero, this game was over the top, AWESOME.
I'M SO BAAAAD
#34  August 06, 2012, 05:29:49 am
    • USA
My only beef is that I hate how they're trying to make Liu Kang a villain now... (See both Liu Kang's and Shang Tsung's MK9 endings) I knew as soon as he returned as a Zombie, something was up. Why they have to screw up my personal favorite Mortal Kombat character is beyond me. Others may see it differently, but that's ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I still love the series, tho. Hopefully they'll make Mortal Kombat 10 in the future?
*New Site* (W.I.P)
(Willing to host creations, just hit me up!)
https://cozysquirtlemugen.weebly.com/
#35  August 06, 2012, 05:52:17 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • bloon
    • USA
i'll never understand why they kept pushing the concept of rayden losing his patience and his mind. i'm aware he was originally going to be written as a villain way back then, but the whole thing with him actually changing his outfit to black and his eyes red just to signify him getting pissed off really killed off a potentially interesting concept
#36  August 06, 2012, 06:04:03 am
  • Certified Degenerate
well guys thanks for the tips. in the end i bought deception since it was on sale when i went to buy shaolin monks and bought two games for the price of one

i was originaly planning to buy armageddon because it had all the characters but i decided to give deception a try. my only complain is the lack of playable kung lao and sektor but i have shaolin monks to make up for kung lao

DMK

#37  August 06, 2012, 06:24:04 am
    • USA
Shaolin Monks needs to be given that update status with full online coop. If any other older 3D MK gets it before that I will cry.
#38  August 06, 2012, 07:06:03 am
  • You PC bro?
Shaolin Monks for PSN along with MK: DA, Deception and Armageddon. If they do that, I'd buy all of em. Also, lol at Raiden with his grey skin and red eyes. I never understood that. I really liked his Deadly alliance look.
#39  August 07, 2012, 07:12:37 am
  • I bite the faces of people who don't wanna be cool
The best part of Mortal Kombat Deception aside from getting the limited edition version so you can play Mortal Kombat 1 was running around in konquest and punching people at random. Other than that, it's easy to see why they were rebooting Mortal Kombat in its latest installment when you look at the last gen MK games...

it's because they are already content with what they have done, mugen is not a paying job so as long as the charcter works for a creator that's enough; one's persons crouching while running is another person's change it to pots style.

DMK

#40  August 07, 2012, 11:58:13 am
    • USA
Am I a bad person for wanting MKvsDC to of been good? Did it even have a chance due to its less excessive violence and fatality's? Shame it was broken as all hell too, but I guess around the time after its release is when Midway went down the shitter and any balance patches and extra characters went with it too.
#41  August 07, 2012, 07:47:03 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/

I was playing MK2 the other day, and it feels way more solid than any other MK prior to MK9.
And I started wondering what will happen with MK after MK9? NRS is working on Injustice and story wise everyone is dead except for a few people, Sonya, Scorpion, Quan Chi, Raiden and Cage IINM.
If MK10 finally happens, will they reboot again? or they'll use the new characters from MK4 to MKA? If Stryker is a good sign of anything, they can redesign all those boring characters into something more likeable.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#42  August 07, 2012, 08:11:50 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I think NRS did a superb with their redesigns of just all older characters, especially Liu Kang but also Kung Lao, Stryker of course, Noob Saibot etc. They did a great job making the ex-palette swaps more different from each other as every before

A mix of a remake and new story parts would be the next step for the mk story i think

Raiden gathers new warriors among Johnny Cage and Sonya,Fujin and Kai might return also Jarek, Tanya, Shinnok as the new boss of course..except the Shinnok /Nehterealm story is only a part of a bigger one including Onaga as well.

I think we can expect both Mk4 and MKDA-MKA Characters.
#43  August 07, 2012, 09:10:31 pm
  • You PC bro?
ewww Kobra
#44  August 07, 2012, 09:27:59 pm
    • Argentina
Yeah, personally I don't get why they offed everyone in story mode.... It's like they rebooted the franchise just to put themselves back in an inescapable narrative situation again...

Maybe they don't want to work on MK10?... I think they're tired of being type-cast as a one-franchise studio.

I figure they left the ending open in case they or anyone else wanted to take a swing at it again in the future but I don't expect it to happen any time soon, sadly. Even the Komplete Edition of MK9 came out way too soon, comparatively speaking... by this I mean that other franchises usually let sales linger for a bit longer before releasing an "All-DLC included" pack. I don't mean to imply that it was too fast for my personal taste.

Heck, they could've probably released a few more DLC characters before closing the game completely. There's still so much stuff that could be added to the game: Characters, Costumes, etc...
#45  August 07, 2012, 09:31:52 pm
Yes the new games and the way MK developed further went not so well and some games may have improved storywise and  such... but back in the times of MK3 UMK3? Back in those times Street Fighter and such can suck ass. Though the new MK9 is I'd say the best fighting game, I never cared about other fighting games btw..
New #46  August 07, 2012, 10:48:31 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Mortal Kombat series are one of my faves and though I have seen some things about the series.Other mdeia were also popular as well (exclding MK: Annihilation That sucked REAL BAD)

1.The game feature a variety of of awesome characters like  bold ninjas deadly beauties, Chine martial artist, demigods,robots,monsters etc.tHisone has one the best rosters ever.

2.Pallete swapping was common feature in the series begining I mean from MK till last year's remake (or till Armageddon). Every few of them had similar basic moves and this one was one the unique features in the game. Since you guys have been discussing

3.The series have darker content than others and more awesome storylines.MK 9 had best of them all.No wonder it had a great reception.

4. This series were almost in all controversies due to fatalities in it and most children tried in reality They have got some lawsuits and some have banned the series due to intense violence. Its cool in game but real life we should reenact the moves or fatalities i think now everyone knows about that but back then the craze were so high many ended up losing their lives. The link tell all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversy_of_Mortal_Kombat

No doubt that this game had been one of the best franchise ever.
 Check this spoiler

I think that MK9 was epic  the game almost resets everything from the previous series. And who know in MK 10 a new chapter will be written in the history of MK. I liked MK 2 Arcade version because the home versions (SNES and Genesis) were good but not as like the arcade version.

Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:28:00 pm by Segatron
#47  August 08, 2012, 01:34:12 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I started with MK2..favorite character has been to this day Scorpion. I was always a fan of the spear move. maybe cuz it was THE most realistic move out of them all compared to throwing and iceball and instantly freezing player 2. Subby has some great combos in MK2(uppercut, jump kick,ice slide, ice puddle, repeat) I remember accidently doing fatalities from button mashing. those were the days man. I haven't even touched MK9 yet but I assume it's a good game. stays true to it's roots. the 3D plane screwed things up in my opinion. MK3 and UMK3 lost touch because the run button was a stupid idea. I think the best part of the original 2 MK games was that there was no insanely long combos and your hits had to be well thought out. you had to utilize what they had to your advantage like the combo I mentioned earlier, and utilize fast reflexes.

MK's charm came from using cunning to make combos instead of stringed combos already present.
#48  August 08, 2012, 03:16:48 am
    • Argentina
MK9 is great because it reduces those dial-a-combos from MK3 down to combo starters/linkers, and they're always 3-4 hits at the most. Look at some videos, you'll see after those first puches/kicks, everything else is chained together at the players discretion. It brings back that gameplay that requires players to be more creative to achieve long chains that keep the opponent in the air. Sure, there's a limit eventually to how many ways you can combine things, but it's very open and I'm sure we haven't seen everything yet.

It's pretty much MK2 with more custom comboability (YOU'RE doing the combo instead of just pressing a preset sequence) and without the run button (there are dashes now, though, which don't detract from the game).

Definitely recommend it if you haven't played it. Heck, if anyone owns the Vita version and wants to play, PM me!
#49  August 08, 2012, 03:28:09 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
damn I'll have to pick up a Vita or PS3 and MK9.
New #50  August 08, 2012, 04:05:24 am
  • Certified Degenerate
my advice would be not playing any of those because it's going to make you fucking hate mortal kombat. wait until you can play mortal kombat 9. play the old 2d shit meanwhile.
and you were right! i absolutely hate this fucking game so much

i should have listened to you :-\