YesNoOk

Projectile reflection: new projectile vs ReversalDef (Read 4681 times)

Started by PotS, January 09, 2008, 04:12:54 am
Share this topic:
Projectile reflection: new projectile vs ReversalDef
#1  January 09, 2008, 04:12:54 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I was checking which of the methods is more viable in terms of gameplay, here's what I got.

When reflecting a projectile in a commercial game (tested SFA3, SFZ2A, VS and KOF2002), this happens:

1- The projectile keeps its anim
2- The projectile keeps its position
3- The projectile keeps its velocities (in some games it speeds up)
4- The original owner of the projectile goes to the guarding pose if you hold back, to guard against his old projectile
5- The original owner of the projectile can throw another projectile of the same kind (which means Ryu can throw two Hadoukens at a time if the first is reflected). The char that reflected it cannot use more projectiles while that one is still active. This means the projectile changes hands, you see now why I say "original owner" and not just "owner"
6- The projectile can trade hits with other projectiles that its original owner throws
7- Damage changes. How it changes varies with each game
8- The reflected projectile can be reflected again

Now, which of these properties are respected in Mugen depends on how the projectile was reflected - by sending a new one or using ReversalDef on a projectile helper:
- New projectile respects 4, 5, 6 and 8
- Reversed helper respects 1, 2, 3, 6 and can respect 8 if the coder is willing to do so

Which makes me think that, while reversing a helper is neater (keeps anim, etc), sending a new projectile is better at preserving the most important gameplay aspects (like 5). As far as normal Mugen goes, of course, full games are more flexible.

Thoughts on this?
Use anything you want from my works.  If you need to contact me use email, not private messages.
Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:59:47 am by (TOE)P.o.t.S.

vyn

Re: Projectile reflection: new projectile vs ReversalDef
#2  January 09, 2008, 05:42:42 am
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
the visuals on a reversed helper are better gives the feeling of truly having ur projectile reflected, other way feels like the energy from ur attack was absorbed and then used against u, visuals and feeling apart and focusing on gameplay new proj is better and for mugen purposes where not all projectiles are helper coded is a much better idea

since u exclude 7 from new projectile i guess it keeps the damage from the original, the way i would go too for sure that, being able to guard and to shoot a second projectile probably to defend from first one in the end add to the fun realistic factor rather than good visuals

visuals are to buy the game, gameplay is to keep playing for years :)
#3  January 09, 2008, 05:55:01 am
Which means I should be getting rid of the reversed helper method in my chars... *adds to Fixes.txt*

and for mugen purposes where not all projectiles are helper coded is a much better idea
Oh, the reversal method is always used along with the new projectile method, so against helper projectiles it reverses them and against normal projectiles it throws back a new one. So both ways take care of both kinds of projectiles, in that aspect the difference is that new projectile behaves the same with any projectile while reversed doesn't.
Use anything you want from my works.  If you need to contact me use email, not private messages.
#4  January 09, 2008, 05:55:36 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
8. the reflected projectile can be reflected back.
#5  January 09, 2008, 05:58:08 am

vyn

#6  January 09, 2008, 06:03:50 am
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
rly? can this be done (in an actual game not mugen)? ive done it in smash brothers lol it doubles the dmg each refletion, after like 5 it becomes unreflectable, never tried in a 2d game tough
#7  January 09, 2008, 06:16:18 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
athena vs athena in kof, throw a weak psycho ball, use the weak reflector, play ping pong.
New #8  January 09, 2008, 09:18:08 pm
when you throw strong projectiles in kof2k2, you can't have the time to block them no matter how far is the reflector
Yamazaki and Kula throw new projectiles, Rugal Athena and Venessa Reflect projectiles
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:29:23 pm by Frederika Troykastel
#9  January 09, 2008, 09:32:25 pm
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
I know multiple reflection can be done with Rose in Alpha as well (seen it in a video).
#10  January 09, 2008, 09:54:14 pm
the HP reflection which reflects diagonally, and if the opponent is close the reflector hits him and juggles him with the projectile ?
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#11  January 13, 2008, 05:08:07 am
  • "Sesshin and Toshin, nealy identical blades..."
I'ma need a similar code when creating my private character, if I get one from you guys, you guys will get my character, whaddaya say?
"You will feel the agony of my clan."
-An unknown kunoichi...