YesNoOk

20 years of Mandela's release (Read 648 times)

Started by Lasombra Demon, February 12, 2010, 08:02:32 am
Share this topic:
20 years of Mandela's release
#1  February 12, 2010, 08:02:32 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
To break Iced's troll posts streak, I decided to start this topic.

As most of you know, Nelson Mandela was released 20 years ago. Being a freedom fighter, he is quite the visible face and a direct responsible of apartheid's fall, one of the most shameful regimes the second half of the 20th century witnessed. This puts him in 'the good guy list' of most of us, and nowadays he is worldwide regarded mostly as a hero.

What I bet most of you didn't know, is why Mandela was arrested (most of us tend to believe it was for political reasons), and what measures he took to spread a big portion of his message.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela#Anti-apartheid_activities

Yes, Nelson Mandela, the world hero celebrated today, fits completely the definition of being a terrorist. He actually does regret some of his actions nowadays.

I thought I'ld post this considering what that word implies today.
How 'regular armies' are the good guys, and 'insurgents', 'guerrillas', and 'rebels' are terrorists- as if terror wasn't spread by a thousand calculated bombs falling on your house, or an economical embargo/trade agreement put your country to unemployment rates of 25% (the figure over here).

Can you imagine Bin Laden being considered a saviour, 50 years from now?

Discuss.
Re: 20 years of Mandela's release
#2  February 12, 2010, 11:29:03 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I dont know if most people are aware of the implications of Mandela or even about the whole apartheid.

Terrorist/guerilla/freedom fighters are all the same thing, its the society judging it that describes them, in the end, you get armed groups doing dangerous activities, if their actions are able to bring out peace or are "right" or "wrong" is food for a lot of arguing.

Mog

#3  February 12, 2010, 11:39:52 am
To break Iced's troll posts streak, I decided to start this topic.

*snicker*

Apartheid is/was immoral.  Are the people (no matter what color) of South Africa and Zimbabwe better off financially and safer physically than the people of RSA and Rhodesia 30 years ago?

:bow:
#4  February 12, 2010, 12:13:21 pm
Capitalism imperialism is immoral, people will be safer after jihadists blow themselves up in public areas !
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#5  February 12, 2010, 12:26:20 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
in the case of mandela, the end justified the means.

however, al-qaeda terrorists and such are just terrorists for the sake of terrorism.
#6  February 12, 2010, 12:54:44 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Erm, if you look at the middle east scenario, they aren't. The Israel-Palestine conflict, for instance, is quite complex, both sides have a ton good reasons and a ton 'but the other guys did THIS horrible thing!!' arguments. And that's just ONE really small portion of the middle east. :P

And yes, Byakko, you can bet your ass apartheid was a consequence of conceiving colonies as  moneymachines, not sovereign states. I wouldn't say that capitalism and colonialism are that different. Plus, apartheid was actually implemented by the same countries that nowadays are 'the good guys' fighting for 'freedom' versus the 'terrorists' (minus USAA, cuz they're too young to have colonies- they have military bases worldwide anyway, which is a much, much smarter move).

*snicker*
First word in a long time I had to look up in a dictionary. :)
#7  February 12, 2010, 06:07:58 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
I still don't understand why the Israelis feel entitled to all the land in former Palestine, which IIRC is the whole reason for the conflict.
#8  February 12, 2010, 11:56:41 pm