reputation system? (Read 145864 times)

Started by Valodim, April 06, 2008, 05:56:28 pm
Re: reputation system?
#21  March 02, 2010, 07:03:14 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I propose a longer discussion about any sort of reputation vote system on users or posts by user before going live with it.

From the collection of ideas for the request section in 2007:

• Messatsu: How about a karma when you send someone something.  You start with so much and can't post anymore if you don't answer a request?

[My comment] Absolutely not. The karma system inbuilt in SMF is fundamentally flawed and you could probalby do some interesting things with karma (Loona posted some suggestions as well), but it would all have to be sophistically modded and that's just the technical side... no no no.
And the rest is in this topic from 2008. I haven't re-read all posts yet.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#22  March 02, 2010, 07:28:00 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
The currently activated modification is Good Post/Bad Post.

I am completely against this system just by reading its description: It gives members and moderators a general idea of who's a worthy poster and who isn't.

Uh-yeah...

If anything, I say we should look into Advanced Reputation System again that was already brought up by Val here.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
#23  March 02, 2010, 11:26:43 pm
    • Germany
aw let's give this one a shot at least. :P but yeah should have been discussed more, sorry.

I thought about the reputation mod as well, but I figured a +1/-1 with comment to each post is kinda too complicated, isn't it?

anyways it's not much work adding and ditching existing mods, and this kinda thing won't break anything overnight, so~ we do have some leeway to experiment :)

\\ edit

going through this thread, the advanced reputation mod does seem like the better option :thinking:
Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:31:17 pm by Purple
#24  March 02, 2010, 11:44:22 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
lmao, someone went through titiln post story and minused voted him in over thirty random posts.

We should have a reputation log to show who was downgrading who.
#25  March 02, 2010, 11:49:04 pm
    • Germany
haha yeah, shoshingo :)
#26  March 03, 2010, 12:10:59 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Is there also a way to view which of your posts are upvoted/downvoted without checking each individual one? Might encourage some people to continue posting a certain way, and conversely discourage shoddy posting styles and bad attitudes in general. I trust the userbase for the most part, so I don't think it'll get abused, it's a scenario, but definitely not the only one.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#27  March 03, 2010, 12:18:20 am
    • Germany
unfortunately not. not with this mod anyways :sadgoi:
#28  March 03, 2010, 12:20:19 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Must say I'm partially against it for that reason then, otherwise I don't mind it at all. I enjoy the theme of change in general :D

#29  March 03, 2010, 12:28:20 am
    • Germany
the other mod has that :yesgoi:
#30  March 03, 2010, 01:36:17 am
  • I got a PM.
I find the Karma thing useless. All of those mods are worthless. Just like our contributor star is useless.

So I don't see anything wrong with them, I just wouldn't personally ever use it.
#31  March 03, 2010, 02:10:55 pm
    • Thailand
Reputation system, from my knowledge and experience, doesn't really affect anything. People might say," +1," a bit more often, and someone might make a thread saying, 'Give me karma," but I can't see it having a super negative, or super positive effect.

If it's going to come with functions that enable us to see who posts are liked the most... etc, then maybe it could have some sort of statistically positive affect; allowing use to see if people prefer what type of posts or something. Other than that, I'm indifferent, and probably won't be using it to plus or minus one anyway. :P
#32  March 04, 2010, 07:48:06 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
No, the opposite: this can be huge.

There are over 50 posts (not counting ours here) in the Feedback area alone about this from the last two days.

Marcus Aurelius said:
It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own. If a god appeared to us -- or a wise human being, even -- and prohibited us from concealing our thoughts or imagining anything without immediately shouting it out, we wouldn't make it through a single day. That's how much we value other people's opinions -- instead of our own.
--R. Scott Bakker
#33  March 04, 2010, 07:54:28 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
There are many more members than 50. And most of those posts are "what is going on how does this work?" On that note though, I can't seem to see my respect anymore, so either the visibility was cut out more, or the mod was just removed so.. shrug

#34  March 04, 2010, 08:00:00 pm
  • I got a PM.
Marcus Aurelius said:
It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own. If a god appeared to us -- or a wise human being, even -- and prohibited us from concealing our thoughts or imagining anything without immediately shouting it out, we wouldn't make it through a single day. That's how much we value other people's opinions -- instead of our own.

I guess you never heard the American take on opinions.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has got one and they are all full of shit."

Also, Marcus Aurelius reminded me of Ben Franklin. Both had great quotes, had great ideas, and gave great advise, yet historically neither followed their own teachings.
#35  March 05, 2010, 01:14:42 am
    • Germany
installed the reputation system thing and gave gmods the permissions. it's post-bound, with reason, weighted rep, and adds those bars.

thoughts:
- allow negative?
- enable on every forum?
- keep the bars? maybe make stars rep instead of postcount based?
#36  March 05, 2010, 01:41:51 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
#37  March 05, 2010, 02:05:25 am
    • Germany
#38  March 05, 2010, 03:41:27 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Stars rep might be a bit too visual for those that like to remind everyone how awesome they are. The profile view is better on that end, and only allowed +rep is definitely a great counter action to negative abuse. There are always ways to regulate it seems :)

#39  March 06, 2010, 02:52:09 am
    • Germany
no comments? oh well.

enabled for everyone, options:
- 1 rep per post
- gave everyone 300+postcount/20 as initial rep
- 3 rep per thread
- wait 1 time for giving rep
- max. 3 reps/day
- give rep to 5 people before repeating a person
- reputation "power" (I think that's how much rep you give) is 1 for every 100 points you have
- enabled option to hide one's rep from public

So posting does help increase one's rep, but getting a +1 from someone does tons more (+8 in my case, and those numbers are going to go up), still thinking this might be an alternative to base number of goldstars on
Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:04:38 am by Purple
#40  March 06, 2010, 03:32:51 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
So, the fact that i can't give rep to anybody means what?

"An error has occured, you are not allowed to modify reputation"

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.