YesNoOk

Best/Favorite Data East fighting game? (Read 4622 times)

Started by 1983parrothead, February 28, 2010, 10:37:23 pm
Share this topic:
Best/Favorite Data East fighting game?
New #1  February 28, 2010, 10:37:23 pm
Here is a list of Data East fighting games:

Karate Champ - This was one of the arcade games that popularized the fighting game genre. This was also what Capcom's Street Fighter series was inspired by along with Konami's Yie Ar Kung-Fu.

Karate Champ: Player VS. Player - The sequel to Karate Champ. This is the original arcade version of its infamous NES and Famicom Disk System ports ported by Sakata SAS (uncredited).

Hippodrome (known in Japan as Fighting Fantasy) - Data East's last fighting game before Capcom's Street Fighter II. As a weapon-based fighting game, each weapon has different characteristics, like average power with long range, or high power with short range, making this game the first weapon-based fighting game with multiple weapons.

Mutant Fighter (released in Japan for the Super Famicom as Death Brade) - A wrestling+fighting game released around the same time as Street Fighter II.  There hasn't been anything from this arcade game converted to MUGEN, yet.

Fighter's History - According to volume 134 (December 30, 1994) of the Japanese game magazine titled "GAMEST", Data East's largest complaint during court against Capcom USA was that their 1984 Karate Champ arcade was the true founder of the fighting game genre. Fighter's History has the smoothest chain-combo system out of most other SFII competitors like Atlus' Power Instinct, Namco's Knuckle Heads and Konami's Martial Champion, while this arcade game topped the charts in Japan during its release.  Those were some of the main reasons why Capcom USA sued Data East.  There are very few videos of the arcade version uploaded online.

Fighter's History Dynamite (known in Europe as Karnov's Revenge) - This is the most popular game in the series, and is still quite popular in Japan today. It helped tweak the gameplay of the original Fighter's History to perfection.

Fighter's History: Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu!! - This is spin-off or side story of the series is better than the SNES port of the original Fighter's History. Due to Makoto Mizoguchi being the top favorite Fighter's History character of many gamers (especially in Japan), he was included in this as the protagonist, which along with his guest appearances in Suiko Enbu: Fuunsaiki (with Yon Miy), The King of Fighters Maximum Impact: Regulation A, and as one of the protagonists of the Japan-exclusive cell phone game, Garou Densetsu VS. Fighter's History Dynamite. Too bad Ray McDougal, the real protagonist of the Fighter's History series never became as popular. It's like Ray is to Liu Kang and Demitri, as Mizoguchi is to Scorpion and Morrigan.  Most gamers compare him to Ryu, because of the headband and some of his moves being similar, but Mizoguchi was modeled after Momotaro Tsurugi from Sakigake!! Otokojuku.  Mizoguchi is also a comedic, university student.

Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty (known in Japan as Suiko Enbu, and known outside of Japan for the Sega Saturn and PS1 as Dark Legend) - When people think of Data East in modern-fighting games, most of them choose the Fighter's History series and sometimes Karate Champ. Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty is one of their least-known modern fighting games.  One interesting feature this game has is that the better the player gets, the more difficult the opponent gets, just like in the MS-DOS fighter, Bruce Lee Lives.  The arcade and home versions aren't exactly identical. Here is a comparison:

Arcade version

Sega Saturn version

Suiko Enbu: Fuunsaiki - A Japan-exclusive semi-sequel to Suiko Enbu/OotLD/Dark Legend, which features two Fighter's History characters: Makoto Mizoguchi and Yon Miy.

Tattoo Assassins - This is probably the worst fighting game released by Data East, but this was specifically developed by their American division, Data East Pinball (which later became Sega Pinball and now Stern Pinball) with Back to the Future screenwriter, Bob Gale. Despite being unreleased while Data East became defunct, G-Mode bought the rights to this and can possibly release it in some format like "Data East Arcade Classics: Fighters Edition". Only two stages from this game were converted to MUGEN. This video below proves that G-Mode bought the rights to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7rwhCAbftg&fmt=18

Marvel Comics' Avengers in Galactic Storm - The only licensed fighting game Data East created, their only 3D-rendered fighting game and probably their last fighting game before their bankruptcy (excluding ports and updates). It may look like Rare's Killer Instinct series, but they don't play like each other.  Released in 1996, it is perhaps the earliest modern-fighting game to feature assistant characters often referred to by most gamers either as "helpers" or "strikers".  G-Mode said that any licensed games owned by Data East have a 0% chance of being bought, which is quite sad; however, they might figure an easy way to buy them, and along with their other Captain America games, they are probably the easiest to buy out of all licensed Data East games.

If anyone wants more Marvel characters in MUGEN, why not convert the ones in this game?  There hasn't been any stages nor characters from this game converted to MUGEN, yet (excluding some MvC versions).  The best gameplay video I found on YouTube showing Captain America in action is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zus3lObJ9mw&fmt=18

These are all of Data East's fighting games I can think of.
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:22:42 pm by 1983parrothead
Re: Best/Favorite Data East fighting game?
#2  March 01, 2010, 01:34:33 am
  • from a bayou somewhere in Louisiana...
    • USA
Mutant Fighter "We-are-Hydra our power is ve-ry GREAT!!"
#3  March 08, 2010, 08:30:23 am
Karvo revenge! Exetremely addictive
#4  April 04, 2010, 01:40:12 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
FUCKIN TATTOO ASSASSINS MOTHERFUCKER

But seriously karnov's revenge was really good
#5  April 04, 2010, 01:56:30 am
    • UK
Karnov's Revenge.

BALLOOOOOOON!

MDI

#6  April 09, 2010, 06:47:02 am
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
ey
#7  April 09, 2010, 12:51:44 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
Also, MelvanaInChains I find it awesome that you have a Battle Monsters sprite in your sig. Haha.

Ah thanks, I find it awesome that you recognized it