YesNoOk

Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei M.U.G.E.N. version updated 04/27/2011 (Read 152767 times)

Started by Lord Mike, May 08, 2010, 08:49:42 pm
Share this topic:
Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei M.U.G.E.N. version updated 04/27/2011
#1  May 08, 2010, 08:49:42 pm
  • 見ろ! これが執念の力だ!
    • Somalia
Fist of the North Star (北斗の拳, Hokuto no Ken) is a 2D competitive fighting game produced by Sega and developed by Arc System Works, based on the manga series of the same name. It was originally released in 2005 as a coin-operated arcade game for the Atomiswave hardware. A PlayStation 2 port, retitled Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei Kengō Retsuden (北斗の拳 ~審判の双蒼星 拳豪列伝~, roughly translated as Fist of the North Star: The Twin Blue Stars of Judgment - History of the Fist Masters), was released in Japan in March 2007.
And here i present you the M.U.G.E.N. version of this game.
Gameplay
While in both terms of gameplay and visual style, the game is similar to the Guilty Gear series (which was also made by Arc System Works), some aspects of the mechanics are slightly different.
Seven Stars of the Hokuto
Below each character's lifebar is a gauge with seven "stars" in the shape of the Big Dipper. Special moves, supers, and some command normals can remove varying amounts of stars. Once empty, a final "Death Star" or "shichousei" will light up and the other player can perform a special "Fatal KO" attack that can instantly defeat them, regardless of their lifebar (similar to the Instant Kill attacks in Guilty Gear.). The biggest difference is these moves may be easily comboed into, making them far more practical than their Guilty Gear counterparts. Players regain two stars at the start of each round, and one star any time an opponent unsuccessfully attempts to Fatal KO. After being Fatal KO'd, if the match is not over, that player starts the following round with all seven stars replenished.
Boost
Boost is one of the many meters in the game, displayed above the Aura meter in the game's HUD. The bar is divided into three sections or stocks. Using a boost (with the Boost/Special button) allows a player to cancel a move after it hits (similar to Roman Cancels in Guilty Gear), and also shoots the character forward. The player can also Boost when not doing a move, in order to jet across the screen quickly. Boosts are frequently used to perform combos that otherwise would not be possible.
Aura
Used to perform super moves and Guard Cancels (similar to alpha counters.) The gauge can hold two stocks. The first stock fills the gauge up with blue; the second stock fills the gauge up with gold. When at least one stock is ready, text reading "GOD FIST BLOW" appears next to the gauge. If the player's opponent has lost all his stars, it will read "DEADLY FIST BLOW."
Characters
The game is based on the first half of the original manga (chapters 1-136) and uses the characters as they were depicted in the 1980's manga and in the anime series. The voices of the playable characters are all performed by the original voice actors from the anime, with the exception of Kenshiro and Rei, who are both played by new actors.
Playable characters
    * Kenshiro (cv. Kunihiro Kawamoto); author - Saikei
    * Shin (cv. Toshio Furukawa); author - konpeitou
    * Kenoh (cv. Kenji Utsumi)
    * Raoh (cv. Kenji Utsumi); author - Ataru
    * Rei (cv. Isshin Chiba); author - ahuron
    * Jagi (cv. Kōji Totani); author - Ts
    * Juda (a.k.a. Yuda) (cv. Bin Shimada); author - Saikei
    * Toki (cv. Takaya Hashi); author - Ts
    * Thouther (a.k.a. Souther) (cv. Banjō Ginga); author - Saikei
    * Mamiya (cv. Toshiko Fujita); author - Yu-Toharu
    * Heart (cv. Shōzō Iizuka); author - rei
Cameos
    * Yuria (During the game's opening. Also visible in the background of the Southern Cross stage and in Shin's victory animation.)
    * Lin (cv. Miwa Kōzuki) and Bat (cv. Ayumi Tsunematsu) (Whenever Kenshiro wins.)
    * Zeed (Can be seen in background in Lin's Village.)
    * Shū (In the background of the Holy Cross Mausoleum, carrying the cap stone to the top of Thouther's Holy Pyramid)
    * Ōgai (Thouther's sensei. Appears during his victory pose after a Fatal KO at the Holy Cross Mausoleum stage.)
    * Diamond (cv. Naotsugu Yoneda), Spade (cv. Koji Totani) and Club (cv. Riichi Nishimoto) (As part of Mr. Heart's Fatal KO.)
    * Dagarl (cv. Yūsaku Yara) and Komaku (cv. Shigeru Chiba) (Juda's underlings. Appear during his special moves.)
This game also features:
    * Unique intros between all chars
    * The original intro from the Arcade/PS2 version
    * The original Game Over screen from the Arcade/PS2 version
    * The original backgrounds for super moves
    * The original Fatal KO background, sign and sound
    * Special Win_KO speeches and special Fatal KO speeches for chars that have interactions
    * Vital star effects
    * Ground effects
    * Blood effects
    * Announcer for each char's win
    * All 8 original stages from the game + 7 remixes
    * World Class AI
    * 2 types of music for the Fatal KO: default and hokuto musou style
    * 2 types of screenpack available
    * 1 readme file with FAQ characters move list and some explinations
Download Links:
* http://www.This link no longer works, sorry/?d=UHA38BTY (full game)
* http://lordmikehnk.blogspot.com/ (homepage)
* http://www.mediafire.com/?xqqo687vxzxds (the chars individually)
* http://www.sendspace.com/file/fq6bq0 (the lifebar)
* http://www.sendspace.com/file/b6il4e (the gameover screen)
Promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VnRfpVFAUc
Current status of this game: complete.
何故諦める必要がある? 何を迷うことがある奪い取れ。今は悪魔が微笑む時代なんだ。
Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:14:29 pm by 主マイク
Re: Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei Kengō Retsuden M.U.G.E.N. version
#2  May 08, 2010, 09:09:46 pm
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
Congratulations on this! looks amazing and original!
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#3  May 09, 2010, 07:44:30 am
  • "Let Us Cling Together."
Very nice. I just looked at the video and Jagi's Fatal KO background looked messed up. Other than that it's totally great.
#4  May 09, 2010, 08:07:14 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
You finished Toharu's Mamiya?  Cause she was in beta last I recall.
#5  May 09, 2010, 11:06:21 am
  • 見ろ! これが執念の力だ!
    • Somalia
@ ArcTheLad It looks awkward because TS made that background of 4 fire orange blocks (kinda like MrHearts fatal ko one, when he has those 4 pictures in the background).
@ MC2 It's the latest version of Yu-Toharu's Mamiya i could find. I've only edited her gauge's position and changed the death star.
#6  May 09, 2010, 12:38:07 pm
Time of Retribution is Darkened. Something wrong with the SFF?
#7  May 09, 2010, 02:22:10 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
there was already a better version of the HNK life-bars.

which already had the stuff you added in, and better animation on the bars...better everything really, no offence. it's by Zohar iirc, might want to check into that seriously
besides that one gripe, this is just amazing, i've been waiting for someone to polish up there charecters like they really needed.
greatness.
#8  May 09, 2010, 03:18:59 pm
  • 見ろ! これが執念の力だ!
    • Somalia
Last time i checked Zohar's lifebar it didn't had the God Fist Blow implemented, and the aura gauge was under the health bar which is not HnK's style.
Currently i'm trying to implement Yu-Toharu's boost and aura gauges used for Mamiya into all chars, and if i'm successful with that i will edit Zohar's lifebar and use it instead of Gal129's one.
My goal for this release was to make it look as much as possible as the Arcade/PS2 one and with the aura gauge under the health bar it wasn't possible.
Re: Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei M.U.G.E.N. version updated 5/12/2010
#9  May 13, 2010, 04:12:08 am
Nice Update! Everything would be perfect if you could fix the star gauges on those characters.
Re: Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei M.U.G.E.N. version updated 5/17/2010
#10  May 17, 2010, 09:30:32 pm
  • 見ろ! これが執念の力だ!
    • Somalia
Update 17.05.2010
Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:48:54 pm by lordmike
#11  May 18, 2010, 01:24:57 am
Looks good so far. I like what you did for the updates. One thing about Kenshiro's death star is not under the star gauge. 
#12  May 18, 2010, 08:59:24 pm
  • 見ろ! これが執念の力だ!
    • Somalia
Looks good so far. I like what you did for the updates. One thing about Kenshiro's death star is not under the star gauge.

Shame on me. Thanks for letting me know.
I've deleted some unnecessary sprites from him (among others his new death star) and added the death star again without repositioning it (it's default coordinates were 90, 48; it needed 30,21 to be placed under the vital stars). It's fixed now. Also fixed is his boost effect. I've tried to implement the default hnk one, but due to drowin's coding it looked awful...Files 00.sff and ken.air are to be replaced with these new ones.
Link: http://cid-c41af243452cc3c6.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Hokuto%20No%20Ken?uc=2
#13  May 18, 2010, 09:20:27 pm
I get a blank screen why I try to download the files for Kenshiro. Did you take the files down?
#14  May 18, 2010, 09:42:22 pm
  • 見ろ! これが執念の力だ!
    • Somalia
Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:48:04 pm by lordmike
#15  May 19, 2010, 02:30:52 am
For some reason my browser was acting up. Thanks for the other link. Kenshiro plays much better now. His Fatal KO portrait (sprite no.1067,0) needs to be x=0 y=12 so that it doesn't leave a space at the top of the screen.
Re: Hokuto no Ken: Shinpan no Sōsōsei M.U.G.E.N. version updated 5/23/2010
#16  May 23, 2010, 08:22:07 pm
  • 見ろ! これが執念の力だ!
    • Somalia
Update 23.05.2010
Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:34:53 pm by lordmike
#17  May 23, 2010, 09:10:48 pm
Gets better and better, awesome work LordMike!
#18  May 24, 2010, 10:20:19 am
  • keep on rockin'
a kick ass post. sadly the original game never saw a US release, but that is what MUGEN is for. thanks again
love and let love
#19  June 01, 2010, 09:56:56 pm
Hmm, love this, although it occasionally freezes with a sound loop, and exits the program. Anyone else experienced that? Maybe a Hardware Sound Acceleration issue?
#20  June 01, 2010, 11:16:22 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Hmm, love this, although it occasionally freezes with a sound loop, and exits the program. Anyone else experienced that? Maybe a Hardware Sound Acceleration issue?

thats a fault of Mugen itself, not the full game, I suggest converting the music to the ogg format, it reduces the chance of that happening by a good 80%, but that's not my call to make, thats a mod I would personally make.