YesNoOk

GOP appears poised to take on 'entitlements' (Read 466 times)

Started by Epic Winnery, March 27, 2011, 08:24:42 pm
Share this topic:
GOP appears poised to take on 'entitlements'
#1  March 27, 2011, 08:24:42 pm
  • FTW!!!
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Article in spoilers
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110327/ap_on_re_us/us_republicans_spending

I'am not well well knowledged in this but dont we pay a portion of our paycheck for SS? So how is it an entitlement if we paid for it?

OZ

Re: GOP appears poised to take on 'entitlements'
#2  March 27, 2011, 08:40:41 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
Allen West, a tea party favorite, called for changes that some might consider radical: abolish the Internal Revenue Service and federal income tax; retain tax cuts for billionaires so they won't shut down their charities; stop extending unemployment benefits that "reward bad behavior" by discouraging people from seeking new jobs.

Truely a visionary.
ಠ_ಠ
#3  March 27, 2011, 08:41:55 pm
  • I got a PM.
Social security is a self sustaining fund where you can only take out what you put in. There are exceptions like disabled people and such.

The part that shows up in the budget, the biggest part of the budget, is the loan that the Republican lead congress and Reagan took against SS in the eighties. They took a loan on the surplus.

I don't know why it appears in the budget when it should be considered a loan just like the ones from China and everywhere else.

If they really want to go after entitlements, they should stop giving out corporate welfare to oil, banks, farms, Wall-street, but those are their constituents.

The republicans have been trying to stop social security since it began. You have to consider that if you are already well off, that you would prefer to keep you social security and add those funds to you own funds or investment and get a bigger return from it.

They have successfully convinced younger people that will not get their social security when they get old and this also contributes to people being against it, but it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

On top of all that is that the United States is becoming older. The baby boom generation is still the largest part of the population and they are all starting to receive the benefits. This will put a strain on SS especially since the surplus is a now a loan that the government can't seem to pay back.

Some solutions to the problem is raising the age because people are living longer and or raising the tax of it, or raising taxes to pay back the loan.

Going after SS is very Marxist. Not as in that is what Marx wanted, but what he predicted would happen. To clarify, ask yourself, why would big business not want people to have SS? You will come out with an answer that resembles Marx.

The scary part is that this is the kind of things that make communism happen. The poor get their money stolen and they eat the rich for it. Just ask the French about their revolution.

In short, yeah they are trying to steal our money like they did in the eighties.
#4  March 27, 2011, 08:45:57 pm
  • I got a PM.
Quoting myself.

Some solutions to the problem is raising the age because people are living longer and or raising the tax of it, or raising taxes to pay back the loan.

I don't mean to bash the beloved Reagan, but the way he didn't raise taxes was to borrow from your SS fund, which you will have to pay back as taxes.

You are paying taxes to pay back yourself lol
#5  March 31, 2011, 12:47:41 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
By "taking on" they generally mean privatizing. And we all know how good Wall Street is at handling other people's money.

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#6  March 31, 2011, 02:10:51 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
i think my brain just simultaneously vomited and shit itself