YesNoOk

Fighter's History series discussion (Read 1922 times)

Started by 1983parrothead, May 26, 2011, 06:27:13 am
Share this topic:
Fighter's History series discussion
#1  May 26, 2011, 06:27:13 am
Back in 1993, there were many fighting games being released by numerous companies.  The original Fighter's History arcade was one of them. When most people (especially the ones outside of Japan) think of this game (as well as the series), their comments are like "That game/series is SO BAD, it got sued by Capcom!"  Well, think again. Read these three links:

http://www.jap-sai.com/Games/Fighters_History/Fighters_History.htm

http://www.jap-sai.com/Games/Fighters_History_Dynamite/Fighters_History_Dynamite.htm

http://www.jap-sai.com/Games/Fighters_History_Mizoguchi/Fighters_History_Mizoguchi.htm

Also, according to GAMEST Magazine  Volume 134 (December 30, 1994), Data East's largest complaint against Capcom was about their 1984 Karate Champ arcade that started it all in popularizing the genre.  Think Karate Champ as "The PONG of fighting games" or "The first successful fighting game".

Fighter's History wasn't even the first fighting game to be sued.  Mortal Kombat is another example, due to of course...being very violent looking.  But the very first was International Karate, which was sued by Data East the same reason Capcom sued Data East.  Like Capcom, Data East lost against Epyx.
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
Re: Fighter's History series discussion
#2  May 26, 2011, 09:24:28 pm

IMO Fighter's History is one of the most under-rated fighting games of all time.
#3  May 26, 2011, 09:42:03 pm
  • SNK is life
At the time ... Fighters History looked like SF2, but was a lot more fun.
#4  May 26, 2011, 10:57:23 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
karnov's is superior to sf2 in every way possible

real talk
#5  May 27, 2011, 04:53:14 am
    • maximoff.alreadyread.net
I always thought that Fighters History was a good game, mostly because as a SF2 ripoff they did a great job of cloning the gameplay and general feel of SF2.
#6  May 27, 2011, 05:34:18 am
  • SNK is life
Yeah, except SF2 never had characters with weak points :P

I just really feel it was a lot of fun, it is indeed underrated.
#7  May 27, 2011, 07:35:26 am

The gameplay is similar to SF2 but not totally the same though.... But very similar... But then again there were tons of SF clones, hell most of the SNK games were clones of SF2, games like Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Fatal Fury, Breaker's Revenge, Martial Champion, King Of Fighters, they were also similar.. But they were all good games and they all had something which made them unique.. I think Fighter's History also seems to have a small dab of Rage Of The Dragons in it.... It's sort of hard to explain why I think that though.
#8  May 27, 2011, 10:25:24 am
Fatal Fury 1 wasn't a clone, because it was in development at the same time, despite being released a few months later after SFII.  Even though it's still similar, that's because some of the former SF designers moved from Capcom to SNK to create Street Smart and Fatal Fury, as well as later SNK fighting games.

Oddly enough, some people still believe to this day that Art Of Fighting ripped off Street Fighter despite the fact that the gameplay is significantly different in every aspect.  I assume it's all because of Ryo Sakazaki resembling Ryu, because of the fireballs and gi outfits, but that's like comparing Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to Mickey Mouse.  Same creators; different companies.

And SFII combines several elements found in pre-SFII fighting games.  And not only post-SFII fighting games model themselves after SFII, but some others were modeled after SFII-inspired ones.  In other words, a "copy of a copy".

Jap-Sai calls the first SF (1987) 'Yie Ar Kung-Fu on crack'.
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:49:55 pm by 1983parrothead
#9  May 27, 2011, 03:09:26 pm
  • Unmatched beauty
    • Poland
    • www.youtube.com/user/Shunt666
Fighters History has a far more lovable and colorful cast than SF2, plus who could not fall for the wacky vibe this game gives off?

Unique elements such as the already mentioned "weak point" system only add to the awesomeness. Even though my love for ST knows no bounds, I'll take Karnov's Revenge over it anytime.

CF7

#10  May 27, 2011, 04:31:43 pm
As much as I like Fighter's History, there is a reason why SF still has sequels, and Karnov does not.
The gameplay is similar to SF2 but not totally the same though.... But very similar... But then again there were tons of SF clones, hell most of the SNK games were clones of SF2, games like Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Fatal Fury, Breaker's Revenge, Martial Champion, King Of Fighters, they were also similar.. But they were all good games and they all had something which made them unique.. I think Fighter's History also seems to have a small dab of Rage Of The Dragons in it.... It's sort of hard to explain why I think that though.
World Heroes wasn't SNK's property until the year 2000. Breakers Revenge & Martial Champion were not made by SNK...and I think your impression comes from playing with Ray, am I right?

Also, part of the team that worked on Art of Fighting was made of ex-Capcom employees.
Ryo Sakazaki resembling Ryo
lol
#11  May 27, 2011, 05:21:00 pm
  • Quick, change the channel!
    • www.angelfire.com/hero/justicia/index.html
I've got some respect for Fighter's History, mostly because it is the game where Chun Li's true worthy Korean rival is featured.
Dance time!
#12  May 27, 2011, 06:02:53 pm
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
I had played the original Fighter's History in the arcades, and enjoyed using Lee.  When I got my first NeoGeo CD, it came with Karnov's Revenge... and whilst a friend and I meant to spend most of the summer playing KOF 95... we spent so much time on Karnov's it was silly.  To this day I bust out my AES (Yes, I bought it on cartridge be cause I liked it so much!) and have a few rounds. :)

The SNES 'sequel' gave you Chelnov (from Atomic Runner) and a mission mode (a la SF EX+a).  All in all, I'd love for a modern sequel, but it's sad to say that it wouldn't happen. :/
#13  May 27, 2011, 06:25:04 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
At least it's nice to have gotten Mizoguchi in KoF MIRA (which unfortunately was never released here).

It'd be nice if some other game (NGBC2 or another KoF MI would be welcome...) brought Ryoko Kano back, that was a very clean design and surprisingly mobile for a grappler at the time.

Mizogichi Kiki Ippatsu did the right thing by keeping Ray out though, not really one of the more interesting characters in the cast despite being a designated protagonist in the originals.
#14  May 27, 2011, 06:47:38 pm
As much as I like Fighter's History, there is a reason why SF still has sequels, and Karnov does not.
World Heroes wasn't SNK's property until the year 2000. Breakers Revenge & Martial Champion were not made by SNK...and I think your impression comes from playing with Ray, am I right?

Also, part of the team that worked on Art of Fighting was made of ex-Capcom employees.
Ryo Sakazaki resembling Ryo
lol

All I meant was that those games were similar, I know some of them weren't SNK games and they weren't necessarily ripped off from SF2... I stated that all those games each had something unique about them. The only point i was making is saying that anyone who concludes Fighter's History (FH) to be a rip off of SF2, may as well conclude any other game that was similar to SF2 was a rip off, which would be an equally false conclusion, but I see no reason to single FH out.. All those games are similar, but they also all unique.
#15  May 27, 2011, 10:19:13 pm
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
Mizogichi Kiki Ippatsu did the right thing by keeping Ray out though, not really one of the more interesting characters in the cast despite being a designated protagonist in the originals.

Not to mention that 'Baked Potato!' on the SNES really started to grate after a while. ;)  Ryoko Kano was awesome... truly, would have been nice to see an update to her like Mizoguchi and Yungmie got in Fuunsaiki (Even if Mizoguchi's Super attack was the most WTF random thing ever!)
#16  May 27, 2011, 11:12:55 pm
Mizoguchi was included in KOF MI to promote the cell phone game Garou Densetsu VS. Fighter's History Dynamite, where he is one of the main characters along with Terry and Mai.

Mizoguchi's desperation move in Suiko Enbu: Fuuun Saiki, is based on the sheep from Data East's arcade game, "Trio The Punch: Never Forget Me...".

Although the arcade version of Karate Champ was developed by Technos Japan, Technos Japan is full of ex-Data East employees. I heard the first ever fighting game sequel and revision known as Karate Champ: Player VS. Player, was developed and published by Data East only.  But when most Americans think of Karate Champ, the infamous FDS / NES version pops up in their mind.  It's infamous, because it's developed by Data East USA, which is full of some of the same people who worked for Data East Pinball to create Tattoo Assassins.

All I meant was that those games were similar, I know some of them weren't SNK games and they weren't necessarily ripped off from SF2... I stated that all those games each had something unique about them. The only point i was making is saying that anyone who concludes Fighter's History (FH) to be a rip off of SF2, may as well conclude any other game that was similar to SF2 was a rip off, which would be an equally false conclusion, but I see no reason to single FH out.. All those games are similar, but they also all unique.

Of course many titles in Data East's library resemble mostly popular video games, they contain some original stuff.  Same goes for some in Capcom's library.  If many people don't appreciate post-SFII fighting games as much as SFII itself, because of similarities, then how come SFII gets to take ideas from pre-SFII fighting games?  SFII took many ideas from non-Capcom fighting games that predate it, so is it bad?  Many automobile manufacturers also use each others' ideas to compete against each other.

Here is a list I made of the first ones to use or be in history.  If there are any problems, let me know.
Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:16:53 pm by 1983parrothead
#17  May 28, 2011, 12:32:09 am

Exactly, that was the point I was making.