YesNoOk

[HIGH RES] Capcom VS SNK2 "Capcom" Portrait Pack (Read 34776 times)

Started by Saikoro, October 31, 2011, 06:56:17 pm
Share this topic:
[HIGH RES] Capcom VS SNK2 "Capcom" Portrait Pack
#1  October 31, 2011, 06:56:17 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Here's a release that I'm proud to share with all of you.

With all of Mugen's countless releases, artwork for each character is usually out of place or all across the board. I'm all for matching, high quality portraits for each group of characters you may have on your roster. So here you go.

You have all of Capcom VS SNK 2's roster in high resolution glory. Specs include:
  • 240x280 resolution
  • 72 dpi
  • 8 Bit Color Depth

With this type of detail, each portrait took 90+ minutes a piece to touch up as each picture came from a high resolution source (My source was Kawaii Art Zone). I tried not to leave any messy random pixels, jagged and mis-colored edges or a lack of cohesive, gradient style edges in any of these. Also, portraits at the tail end of this project (E-Honda, Rolento, Sakura, Vice) came out a bit better than portraits at the beginning (Ryu or Akuma look a bit rough in comparison as evidenced by a few grey pixels here and there) as I got a better hang of how to work more efficiently.

Due to higher resolutions, please set your p1.face/p2.face scale to .5 in your fight.def's select screen, vs screen and victory screen denotations. If not, these will all appear extra large as they won't scale on-screen properly. With scaling mentioned, I am uncertain if these will work on WinMugen Plus as I have not tested them (nor do I have reason to).

Here are some preview shots of what you get.

Visit Cybaster's Hosted Section:

http://network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/

I plan to eventually release Marvel VS Capcom 2's Portraits next with the same high resolution idea in mind.

Enjoy fellas!! Alot of hard work and soul were put into these. Feedback is more than welcome as I'd love to hear what you guys have to say!!

-Saikoro
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:02:52 pm by Saikoro
Re: [HIGH RES] Capcom VS SNK2 "Capcom" Portrait Pack
#2  October 31, 2011, 07:04:21 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm

These look excellent. Will be downloading tonight for sure.

I know that you followed standards here and that's fine but for one, I wish you would have left Honda's fingers intact though.

Other than that this is a greatly appreciated piece of work, at least from me.

Thanks for the share.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#3  October 31, 2011, 07:14:38 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html

These look excellent. Will be downloading tonight for sure.

I know that you followed standards here and that's fine but for one, I wish you would have left Honda's fingers intact though.

Other than that this is a greatly appreciated piece of work, at least from me.

Thanks for the share.

Your very welcome Max. Cropping was an absolute bitch to properly balance. I measured each character by their head. As a result, some characters are larger and some are smaller. Or missing digits. Either way, I'm glad you like.  ;D

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#4  October 31, 2011, 07:28:28 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Will download and try out! maybe you can do a bundle for new upcoming screen pack "nexus". I will credit you for it but, nize work man. :sugoi:
#5  October 31, 2011, 07:32:41 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Will download and try out! maybe you can do a bundle for new upcoming screen pack "nexus". I will credit you for it but, nize work man. :sugoi:

Time is a bit limited with school, but maybe I can see what I can do. Feel free to use these if you want with proper credit of course!!  ;)

#6  October 31, 2011, 07:34:19 pm
How did you do these  :o They are amazing I want to learn how to make such hi res portraits.Damn these are so good that I have no words to describe them :sugoi:
#7  October 31, 2011, 07:48:15 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I look at these and they just slap me in the face.
#8  November 03, 2011, 03:41:50 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Figured I'd showcase a small preview of what to expect from my Marvel VS Capcom 2 Portrait Pack. Here's R@CE's Cable against JMorphMan's Joe Higashi.

These conversions are going to take a little less time than my Capcom VS SNK2 release, but not by much. It's a bit more painstaking than I originally thought. Alas, expect something within the next few months....

Im open to suggestions and feedback!!

Re: [HIGH RES] Capcom VS SNK2 "Capcom" Portrait Pack [MvC2 Preview!!]
#9  November 04, 2011, 05:26:44 pm
This is just smexy. :) Sorry for asking this though, but is there a way to edit the portrait scaling individually per character, or do I have to change the scaling universally? [size=4pt](that didn't sound smart at all :() [/size]
#10  November 04, 2011, 06:59:22 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
This is just smexy. :) Sorry for asking this though, but is there a way to edit the portrait scaling individually per character, or do I have to change the scaling universally? [size=4pt](that didn't sound smart at all :() [/size]

No worries.  :)

Unfortunately, scaling is only done through your system's fight.def, so its a universal change. Keep in mind that these portraits were designed for a higher resolution to begin with, so I deliberately made these larger than normal.

If you were so inclined to do so, you could do some PhotoShop work to make these half of their original size so they work with regular settings. But then you defeat my original purpose.

Alas, I'm glad you like them!!

#11  November 04, 2011, 07:01:49 pm
Yeah! :) Probably the best set of portraits I've seen in this forum.
#12  November 04, 2011, 07:09:33 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

Did you keep an uncropped version of these? They would be useful for custom winscreen portraits.
#13  November 04, 2011, 09:21:17 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Stop slapping with HD goodness!
#14  November 04, 2011, 10:08:54 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Did you keep an uncropped version of these? They would be useful for custom winscreen portraits.

BAH!! I did not think of doing so....  :( Perhaps I will consider that on my next round of portraits. My mindset would be two different sets of portraits if it came to a victory screen: I would prefer two things to look at. That also equates to twice the time. And these take long enough as is (2+ hours a piece standard).

Yeah! :) Probably the best set of portraits I've seen in this forum.

That alone makes the time spent worth the effort. I really appreciate the feedback Sundae. Thank you very much!! I'm certain you will love what's to come.

Stop slapping with HD goodness!

LOL That's kinda the point. I've read that 1.1, when available, will allow for up to 32bit PCX files. I jumped the gun with fair middleground and kept my portraits to 16bits. Another factor in 16bit formatting is that when you convert from one type of resolution to another higher resolution, you actually lose clarity in the form of blurry or dead pixels (which show up as either grey or blue). I kept 16bits to retain balance and whatnot.

So yeah, these all look glossy and clean, but plenty of thought went into them prior to editing. I'm very, VERY glad that you guys like these. Considering how I'm not even playing my Mugen (All of my Laptop time is spent editing pixels!!) to make these, your feedback makes all of the long time spent worth it.  :sugoi:

Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:14:36 pm by Saikoro

DTK

#15  November 05, 2011, 11:30:17 pm
they're beautiful. hope to see more of these high quality hd portraits soon!
#16  November 30, 2011, 08:44:47 pm
good work man

but is missing the portrait of Akuma / Gouki normal  :???:
there is only the shin Gouki in package

keep doing the marvel vs capcom  ;)

#17  November 30, 2011, 09:05:12 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
good work man

but is missing the portrait of Akuma / Gouki normal  :???:
there is only the shin Gouki in package

keep doing the marvel vs capcom  ;)

:o

Oops!! I completely forgot about Akuma/Gouki as I made portraits for characters in my roster. Since I only have P.o.t.S. Shin Akuma, I overlooked that piece. I'll convert him over once I release my next pack.

they're beautiful. hope to see more of these high quality hd portraits soon!

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these. Progress for MvC2 is slower than expected, but results are amazing. They are certainly a cut above from what you would expect from a standard release. Each portrait takes at least 3+ hours a piece. But man is it worth it!!

Expect visual greatness in time....  ;)

#18  November 30, 2011, 09:32:46 pm
  • Mugenite
    • www.freewebs.com/mangalegend
I respect you as a creator and I'm an all round nice guy so I'm thinking of using these.

Will these work effectively if my resolution is set to 640*480? Good work by the way
I rock

#19  December 01, 2011, 12:22:28 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
I respect you as a creator and I'm an all round nice guy so I'm thinking of using these.

Will these work effectively if my resolution is set to 640*480? Good work by the way

Much appreciated Z.

The only way these will work is if you set your portrait scaling to .5 using the standard 640 by 480 localcoord. I actually haven't tested them in higher resolutions yet, but I would assume that the scaling would change as I stuck with the commonly used standard.

I'm going to soon post a preview thread to showcase what's to come.  :sugoi:

#20  December 01, 2011, 06:49:31 am
Those look pretty damn good.

Slightly off-topic, but could you send me that Cable?