YesNoOk

The Sports Thread (Read 728 times)

Started by Cazaki, January 11, 2012, 09:46:07 pm
Share this topic:
The Sports Thread
#1  January 11, 2012, 09:46:07 pm
   Well I know we all frequent the internet and I don't expect that most of us follow any sports in particular, but I hope I can get some responses here. I'm a big fan of sports, my favorites being basketball and football though I try to dabble in watching other things such as baseball, physical sports (boxing, MMA and high school wrestling.) though I can't get into baseball.

With this thread I don't know particularly what I'm looking for people to say but maybe you could tell of your personal experiences with sports, favorite teams and all that jazz. As far as basketball goes I play it everyday in school or otherwise, I'm only 6'0 but I can dunk and I personally think I have the best jumpshot of anyone in my school. The only reason I don't play for the school is because I didn't get a timely physical.

In the NBA my favorite team, even though I live in Florida (Everyone here loves the Miami Heat.) my favorite team is the Los Angeles Lakers, and I pretty much pattern my game after Kobe Bryant, the best player in the world (IMO) at this current moment. Hopefully we can engage in discussion about sports in general, I know others have made topics about sports but it was something of a more narrow subject.
Re: The Sports Thread
#2  January 11, 2012, 10:29:59 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I'm a sports guy, but I'm a better fan then a player. I did try out for my high school's basketball team in my junior year (based on the fact that two girls that I knew thought it would be great to see me try to play and they said that if I made through the season then I would get a date with the both of them). Needless to say, I didn't make through the first day, but the coach was nice enough to give me the chance to be a manager on the team, which I accepted. I had to quit towards the end because my grades were lagging because I was too busy chasing tail in high school.

Enough about high school... I'm more of a football guy and being from Washington State originally, my loyalities are to the Seahawks, Mariners and the University of Washington. Being in Iowa, I also root for Iowa State because I would rather get kicked in the junk with a metal boot then root for a lame ass Big Ten team like Iowa.
#3  January 11, 2012, 10:51:10 pm
   I guess another thing about me is that I don't really take pride in teams near me. I don't like or claim any Florida football teams, I used to like FSU and the Jaguars since my mom is from FSU and I'm in Jacksonville but I've become more of an admirer of skill than of location, plus I was an Orlando Magic fan in Dwight Howard's best years  back in 2007/2008/2009(Though I was a Lakers fan since '02). My favorite football team at the moment is the Green Bay Packers for obvious reasons.

As a youngster I enjoyed football more and wanted to play Pop Warner as a receiver but my mom was faint of heart and didn't like the idea of me getting hit, so I never got to play. Then I started to play it in middle school but my dad had my medical information but he lived far away.

SNT

#4  January 12, 2012, 04:41:58 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Don't follow gridiron well enough to have a favourite team, but I'll sit down to watch a game, and pick a side to support based on how they're playing.

Soccer is a different story.  Gunners fan, and I follow the Melbourne sides in the A-League.  All forms of cricket as well; Australia is dominating a test series against India at the moment after my Indian housemate spent most of the holidays talking up how much they were going to beat us.  Fun times.  Also AFL, but no one probably cares about that shit here.
#5  January 12, 2012, 05:48:51 pm
  • Standby for Slumber
    • USA
Like Seadragon said, I'm a better fan than player. Although instead of basketball it's baseball.
I'm a Cardinals fan.

I did like football, but that slowly faded from my interests.
#6  January 19, 2012, 02:25:51 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Football (taking about the real one where you actually use your feet, not the one with helmets because LOL I'm scared) : fan of Olympique de Marseille, since it's the city I've lived near by.
Love seeing Barcelona games though, as every football fan should.

Basketball : second favourite sport, but haven't watched it for a long time. Favourite player was Allen Iverson, followed by kobe Bryant. Allen because he's quite short compared to the other players, but does (did?) incredible stuff on the field, and could pull up a team all by himself.

Rugby : following it only for the 6 nations tournament in Europe or during World Cup. French supporter, obviously.
#7  January 19, 2012, 08:39:12 pm
Your favorite player was AI? Yeah it's been awhile since you've been on the scene. He had the potential to be an all-time hall of fame great but his personality ruined it and he went to play overseas before retiring. There's still great short point guards, even better really with Derrick Rose, the best Bulls player since Michael Jordan, Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo and Deron Williams (Though he won't be winning a ring with his shitty team.). Derrick Rose now is better than Allen Iverson was in his prime IMO.
#8  January 23, 2012, 12:24:54 am
  • Angry Molesting Tree
  • Auf gehts ab gehts 3 Tage wach
    • Germany
    • cenobite53.mugengermany.com/
I was very much into NBA Basketball in the 90s + some years after the millenium.
But since all my favorite players have ended their career I kinda lost interesst.
+ NBA Basketball isn't that present in Germany free TV anymore (only pay tv), some only mention Dirk Nowitzki from time to time.  :P

Sometimes I like to watch Fottball(Soccer) games of the Club of my Hometown in the stadium.

look at my sprite rips  HERE
look at my TMNT Project HERE
My Contribution to mugen: Stages: 897 | Chars: 8 | Fullgames: 1 | Spritesheets: 85