YesNoOk

Grappler-like clone: The ideas thread (Read 160090 times)

Started by Basara Lapis, June 18, 2012, 09:44:03 pm
Grappler-like clone: The ideas thread
#1  June 18, 2012, 09:44:03 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Well, made this thread for ideas and suggerences for this new clone, made by popular petition :D

You can post anything I can use for a clone like this: name, colors, movelist, etc. Here're the suggestions you made in main thread:
GRAPPLER GOUKI should have an Argentina Back Breaker Move. The THROW OPPONENT UP sprites could be his Throw Fail anim!
I am thinking that he may have Goro Daimon's Tenchi Gaeshi on him
I'd say Slam Master, with a more Tannish-brown color scheme. I'd probably look a lot into Alex and Haggar for moves. I actually had a movelist for an OC grappler arranged a while ago, if you'd want to take a look at it.
YES YES YES! on a grapple akuma.

Zangief, Claw's Izuna drop and GRIFFON!
I'd say "El Cogedor" but given the meaning of "coger" in Latin America... :/ maybe: "El Grappler"?

About colours...What about brown?

So, let's the madness begin!! :twisted:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:52:09 pm by Basara 2D
Re: Grappler-like clone: The ideas thread
#2  June 18, 2012, 11:35:13 pm
  • Standby for Slumber
    • USA
I think he'd benefit from having Tizoc's BIIIG FAAALLLLLLL

I dunno why, I just think it would be funny. :P
#3  June 18, 2012, 11:44:01 pm
Maybe all his grapples should be comedic over the top slapstick! Tripping the opponent, falling over backwards while holding them, "accidentally" tossing them in the air or the like. In which case he should wear pink ala Dan. And alt color should be purple ala that guy from MSHvsSF.... The "superfan" character.
#4  June 19, 2012, 12:09:35 am
    • Chile
I also agree about making his gi pink would convert him into Dan Hibiki, which isn't my intention to this clone (so no moves from him nor Norimaro here). I wanna take some ideas about you already said in th main thread and here:
-I like Alex, it's one of my mains in SFIII, so I could add some stuff from him. I think I'll take his colors for the clone, maybe
-Yeah, something like Argentina Backbreaker and moves from Zangief and Tizoc :D
-I like the name of "Slam Master", it's a good reference, as well a great wrestling game. By now, the prototype name for him is just "The Grappler", but I'm not sure about it

You got me some ideas for moves, but I still need to define a movelist for him, basically 1 throw (a normal one), 4 specials and 4 supers, as well a Special Skill. About this, the only I was thinking is something like "Deflect", a command move that can negate projeciles, something like that Zangief's hand move

Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#5  June 19, 2012, 12:54:00 am
What if the "deflect" took the form of a bear hug type move where he absorbs the projectile by catching the energy?
#6  June 19, 2012, 01:25:25 am
  • Verily, The Young Male's Arrival is Proclaimed!
The Roasted Pheasant voice acting company is open for business. PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
#7  June 19, 2012, 02:30:51 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Since this clone is going to be grappler, here are some ideas I was thinking of...

Throw: If you have seen MK vs SF 3 (you know, the flash animation), then you may remember when Shin Level 2 Akuma had Chemeleon on his shoulder and ran into the force ball. Well, combine that animation with Abel's Falling Sky and there you go.

Specials: Since this is a grappler, I would like to see these kind of moves:
 -Powerful throw, like a Spinning Pile Driver or such.
 -A linking throw combo. It might not be easy to do, but if anything, you can base this off the Mexican Magma Drive that Armor King uses in Tekken 6
 -Short range and long range special throw. Can be done with the same motion but the results are different.
 -Anti-Air throw. Think Hugo's Shootdown Backbreaker

Supers: Here are some super ideas...
 -Stronger version of the powerful throw Special
 -Gamble of Darun styled Super. Think linking throw combo raised to the maximum level
 -Stronger version of the Anti-Air Throw
 -Since this is an Akuma clone, it has to have a Shun Goku Satsu. What you can do instead of punches and kicks is to make it look like he's throwing them around in the darkness.
#8  June 19, 2012, 04:17:32 am
  • Verily, The Young Male's Arrival is Proclaimed!
Here's my two cents about a moveset:

-Throw-
  • Wind and Earth - Grabs the enemy and throws them behind him to the ground, stomping on their body

-Specials-
  • Akuma Chop - An overhand Flash Chop from Alex, but with darker particles
  • Hell's Rage - Charges the opponent, grabbing them. Carries them into the air and slams them into the stage wall
  • Kaze DDT - Yet another move from Alex, this time his Spiral DDT. Minor invincibility frames on startup to make it more useful
  • Demon Slam - Launches into the air (I personally would make this look like an open handed shoryuken, for flair and all), grabbing the opponent and throwing them to the ground

-Supers-
  • Gouki Slam - A series of Akuma Chops, ending in a rolling throw into the wall
  • Tokyo Bomb - Similar to Alex's Hyper Bomb, but in midair on the final drop, changes into a Misogi, slamming the opponent into the ground on the end of his elbow
  • Oni Breaker - Grabs at a close range and flings the opponent into the air, initiating a backbreaker when they fall back down (I'd say they fall on top and he does the classic Akuma pose for the backbreaker)
  • Finishing Move - Akuma-slides (his teleport, I always thought it looked more like he was sliding around) across the stage, grabbing the opponent if they collide. The stage fades to white, but the fighters remain silhouetted. Akuma flings the opponent into the stage wall and charges after them. He grabs them by the head and slams them into the wall repeatedly, followed by tossing them into the air over the center of the stage. He flies after them, ending with a backdrop to earth. Kanji for break "劈く" appears if this is a killing blow.
The Roasted Pheasant voice acting company is open for business. PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
#9  June 19, 2012, 02:59:28 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Taking moves from other chars as a tribute looks like a nice idea.

- Clark's Argentina Backbreaker. You could take POTS' Gouki Kongou Kokuretsu Zan starting sprite for the backbreaker part.
- Zangief's piledriver is kind of a must.
- Aerial throw (command move or special) would be nice.
- A throw where he grabs the opponent, throws him to the wall (the opponent would run) and then the opponent comes back running (as in Slammasters IIRC), and from there Gouki would have several choices of moves.
#10  June 19, 2012, 04:23:32 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Regular moves:

* Alex's Back+HP command move, which he grab the opponent and headbutt him;

Specials:

* Daimon's Tenchi Gaeshi: regular grab;
* Zangief's Flying Power Bomb: distance grab;
* Tizoc's Active Tufon: distance overhead grab;
* Hugo's Ultra Throw: wall-bounce grab, setup for...
* Clark's Napalm Stretch: anti-aerial grab;
* Geese's Atemi Nage: counter grab;
* Izuna Drop: air-only grab;

Hypers:

* Zangief's Final Atomic Buster: regular hyper;
* Clark's Running Spree: running hyper;
* Potemkin's Heavenly Potemkin Buster: anti-aerial hyper;
* Yamazaki's Drill: variation hyper;
* Iron Tager's King of Tager: finishing hyper.
#11  June 20, 2012, 09:59:03 pm
    • Chile
Wow, a lot of specials and supers, thanks guys :D I'm noting everything to make a "casting" for the movelist ;)

About the colors, I think I got the ones I'll use for the clone, soon I'll post you a sprite of it ;)

#12  June 22, 2012, 12:16:22 am
  • SNK is life
He definitely needs something to defend himself from fireballs like Alex's Chop, or Gief's Vanishing Flat (green hand)

Also, needs an Air throw, like Guile's back breaker (easy neutral jump sprites, like Guile), or Clark's Napalm Stretch (it doesn't have to look the same way, but at least to work like it - quick startup) and maybe like Clark or Goro Daimon he'll need a ground hit follow up ... which could be his horse stance stomp :P

EASY MONEY Gouki has everything you need.
#13  June 22, 2012, 12:17:34 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Akuma=Shemus
#14  June 22, 2012, 12:55:03 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
If you must make a grappler, I suggest something like these:

Spriting is hard.
#15  June 22, 2012, 05:48:28 pm
    • Chile
He definitely needs something to defend himself from fireballs like Alex's Chop, or Gief's Vanishing Flat (green hand)
I was thinking in that, too. The "Deflect" move as Special Skill, could work great on him to avoid fireball spammers (inb4 The Projectile), similar than Roll/Backroll on Powerless One. So it would be a command move instead a special or super move, then I can use all the other special and supers as grabs and throws, as I thought. I was thinking in using the chop anim for the Deflect move, could work well on him

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions, all this feedback is very useful for me :D (I've few experience with grapplers in general)

Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:51:40 pm by Basara 2D
#16  June 22, 2012, 07:39:38 pm
  • SNK is life
they're called "suggestions" not suggerences :P

the projectile deflection should be a special, because otherwise it would be broken, like the parry system in SF3. Zoning disappeared because it was as easy as tapping forward, barely any risk. That's why Capcom ditched it in SF4, or added a risk to the Focus Attack like actually losing life, but could be regenerated.

I'm a Rose player (I'm looking at you, better not mess her up! >:( ) and I'm perfectly comfortable with having her reflect being QCB+P, the powered up scarf actually stays a bit longer on screen, instead of having a strict timing like parry, or quick 1 button action.
#17  June 22, 2012, 08:23:48 pm
    • Chile
Hahaha, you're right, fixed now ;)

Yeah, I didn't think in that, you're right, better leave Deflect as a special instead a command move. But that left me without a basic feature for him as Special Skill, all the ones I got were already... no wait!! I've some suggestions for his Special Skill:
-Power Instinct Backdash: the only one in fighting games that can avoid all kind of hits, since normal punches and kicks to supers
-Rapid Attack: another feature from Power Instinct series, during dash (or in this case, run), you can press punch/kick and the character perform a rapid attack that knock-off the enemy
-T.O.P.: The Garou: MOTW feature, when if it's made forward when gethit you can regain some energy
-Attack/Defense Up: I took this from Yuki from NGBC, when you can active this and the clone will have more attack/defense for a few time. Obviously being a Special Skill, it will active this feature and uses Powerbar, just like SFA's Custom Combo (implanted in one of the clones)

I think I'll make a poll for this, what do you think?? Also, my WIP page was updated AND WITH THE CLONE INSIDE!! :D

#18  June 22, 2012, 10:33:21 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Maybe use Excel from Street Fighter EX series,that makes you 2X faster,and every hit you make chains into a combo?
#19  June 22, 2012, 10:36:06 pm
    • Chile
As I know, SFEX's Excel is the adaptation of SFA's Custom Combo, so it makes basically the same :P

OK; I'll make the poll then!! help me to choose, guys ;)

#20  June 23, 2012, 06:41:11 pm
If Yamazaki's Drills are added in, then it really remind me of Jun's Ogre where his Ogre have those Yamazaki's Drills :P a good ideal to have this move since I like Yamazaki's Drills moves.

I can't decide which to choose from T.O.P and Attack/Defense Up as these two fit this clone well. T.O.P, since he is a Grappler, he might have difficulties to fight against certain characters like projectiles, so the T.O.P can help him to gain some life back. At first I can't decide which to choose, but I also think that Attack/Defense Up is also another good choice for Grappler clone.

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!