YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat Series Discussion (Read 10494 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, July 08, 2011, 11:05:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat Series Discussion
#21  August 05, 2012, 07:08:59 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
If you had to choose one of those, I think Deception is the best bet.  It's the.....least bad of those three.
#22  August 05, 2012, 09:14:22 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Deception is by far the worst of the three, MK Deadly Alliance is the way to go.
#23  August 05, 2012, 09:28:23 am
  • You PC bro?
Armageddon was cool though. I'm pretty sure the main reason some of you hate it is because of the create-a-fatality. The fatalities aren't that hard to pull off. I found a great 11 hit fatality thats hackin awesome! :D
#24  August 05, 2012, 09:30:24 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
MK9 is the best of all... good combos, solid gameplay, cool fatalities, good history mode, challenge tower, roster, etc etc

old ones were... mmhhhh kinda bad
            Zorf Giudecca

SNT

#25  August 05, 2012, 09:39:27 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
#26  August 05, 2012, 11:43:48 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
^^ why would bastard wolf even care if he plays the game alone and not with other people?

#27  August 05, 2012, 11:44:07 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Deception is by far the worst of the three, MK Deadly Alliance is the way to go.

Seriously?

Deception is by far the best MK game for the PS2/GC/Xbox era. It was filled to the brim with content and felt less like a rush job than any of the other two games.

The others are completely gimped compared to this release: Missing second fatalities, missing stage fatalities, crap characters that no one cared for (Deception brought some of the classic ones back), etc...

Admittedly, the Konquest mode WAS rushed, but it was playable and the game had SO much stuff, that it ultimately didn't matter much.

The only good thing about Deadly alliance were the graphics. They were a bit better than Deception and Armageddon, but the overall game was bare-bones and shallow.

Armageddon was the equivalent of too little butter spread over too much bread. There were a LOT of characters, but in exchange for all the characters, they all ended up each having only two fighting styles (I don't understand why they couldn't leave it at two + weapon. Maybe not enough fighting styles? Just have some characters share certain fighting styles! Not both, but one at least!. They never had a problem with everyone having the EXACT same basic moves in previous games :D) Everything else was bare-bones and shallow, too. The Konquest mode was much improved, so I have to give them that.

Armageddon was cool though. I'm pretty sure the main reason some of you hate it is because of the create-a-fatality. The fatalities aren't that hard to pull off. I found a great 11 hit fatality thats hackin awesome! :D

No, we hated it because everyone had the SAME fatalities. Nobody complained that they were hard to do, they complained about how shitty and boring they were.
#28  August 05, 2012, 11:52:07 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
no, we hated it because it focused too much on bringing it back rather than noticing the gameplay was still incredibly clunky, and even slower this time. also because the story mode brought two utterly unlikable and flat new characters, the creation mode still used the same stupid profile system, you would end up buying attacks for combo strings that were actually just the same attack but with a different name and price, arcade mode has about maybe 4 variants, blaze being the fucking final boss, some characters who would lose a round would groan in a default male voice they weren't supposed to have (namely nitara), and i can go on and on and on

the fatalities were the last thing i cared about.

DMK

#29  August 05, 2012, 01:11:33 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
I'll put a vote towards Deception, but I enjoyed Deadly Alliance too....., but go with Deception for sure.

On a side thought, how does Mortal Kombat Arcade PC port run? I heard it got taken down and then put back up and the 360 version may have or may not of have gotten the proper patches to fix its problems. If its good though I'd suggest picking that up, but damn did that arcade perfect A.I. piss me off.
#30  August 05, 2012, 04:56:38 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

Seriously?

Deception is by far the best MK game for the PS2/GC/Xbox era. It was filled to the brim with content and felt less like a rush job than any of the other two games.

The others are completely gimped compared to this release: Missing second fatalities, missing stage fatalities, crap characters that no one cared for (Deception brought some of the classic ones back), etc...

Admittedly, the Konquest mode WAS rushed, but it was playable and the game had SO much stuff, that it ultimately didn't matter much.

The only good thing about Deadly alliance were the graphics. They were a bit better than Deception and Armageddon, but the overall game was bare-bones and shallow.

Armageddon was the equivalent of too little butter spread over too much bread. There were a LOT of characters, but in exchange for all the characters, they all ended up each having only two fighting styles (I don't understand why they couldn't leave it at two + weapon. Maybe not enough fighting styles? Just have some characters share certain fighting styles! Not both, but one at least!. They never had a problem with everyone having the EXACT same basic moves in previous games :D) Everything else was bare-bones and shallow, too. The Konquest mode was much improved, so I have to give them that.

I guess it really depends on the taste, all three games MKDA, MKD and MKA had all some serious flaws but all had seriously great features as well.

What i liked about MKDA was most of all the story and how it was told trough the character endings and the Konquest mode ..texts. The running around and the atmosphere in the MKD Konquest mode was fun as well but in the end it lacked the deep and dark atmosphere i liked about MKDA. Especially the stages and the music but also many of the characterdesigns were really great for this game. Take Scorpion and Sub Zero as example.

In MKDA Scorpion had more of a classic Ninja look but added details and weapons, Sub Zero was shown without his mask, aged and the frozen arms. All in all my favourite designs of both characters. In MKD the Scorpion was just more of the same, and Subby..well he changed to a weird Shredder clone.

Gameplay wise i think just all three games can..and should better be forgotten. They added a few not sooo bad features like the stage fatalities and the breakers and the 3 styles system was initally cool but sadly badly realized ..in a game like MK9 it could have worked a ton better i think.

Since the games, including MK Shaolin Monks are all pretty cheap now i would recommend fans just all of them, and be it just for the story and to see how MK games looked and played during the last console generation.

Compared with most other fighting game series on the PS2 like Tekken, SoulCalibur, the many many SNK games, Bloody Roar and probably a few more they are not so good. (MK Shaolin Monks excluded because it was awesome)

Posted: August 05, 2012, 04:57:59 pm

Seriously?

I guess it really depends on the taste, all three games MKDA, MKD and MKA had all some serious flaws but all had seriously great features as well.

What i liked about MKDA was most of all the story and how it was told trough the character endings and the Konquest mode ..texts. The running around and the atmosphere in the MKD Konquest mode was fun as well but in the end it lacked the deep and dark atmosphere i liked about MKDA. Especially the stages and the music but also many of the characterdesigns were really great for this game. Take Scorpion and Sub Zero as example.

In MKDA Scorpion had more of a classic Ninja look but added details and weapons, Sub Zero was shown without his mask, aged and the frozen arms. All in all my favourite designs of both characters. In MKD the Scorpion was just more of the same, and Subby..well he changed to a weird Shredder clone.

Gameplay wise i think just all three games can..and should better be forgotten. They added a few not sooo bad features like the stage fatalities and the breakers and the 3 styles system was initally cool but sadly badly realized ..in a game like MK9 it could have worked a ton better i think.

Since the games, including MK Shaolin Monks are all pretty cheap now i would recommend fans just all of them, and be it just for the story and to see how MK games looked and played during the last console generation.

Compared with most other fighting game series on the PS2 like Tekken, SoulCalibur, the many many SNK games, Bloody Roar and probably a few more they are not so good. (MK Shaolin Monks excluded because it was awesome)

Fatality wise, MKD had in most cases the best (most brutal) ones and also added the funny hara kiri`s, but normally you dont care for fatalities after you have seen them multiple times anyway or?
#31  August 05, 2012, 06:30:49 pm
my advice would be not playing any of those because it's going to make you fucking hate mortal kombat. wait until you can play mortal kombat 9. play the old 2d shit meanwhile.
#32  August 05, 2012, 06:35:46 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
or further immerse yourself in the utter ridiculousness of the series and play the genesis hack 'ultimate mortal kombat trilogy'. it really is the true mk experience
#33  August 06, 2012, 05:04:21 am
  • y'ello.
    • cadepowers2003@hotmail.com
Mortal Kombat 2 was possibly the best of the Old school MK's. Middle year, Xbox/PS2 type games, is probably Deception, Minus the Story. Deadly Alliance was great, It had cool fighting, slightly better graphics, and just outraging awesome kombat. Armageddon was over the top, awesome, except for, Kreate a fatality, it was...pretty bad, but the konquest was awesome, as it should be. MKvsDCU...Utterly terribly, nothing to see here. MK9 was the BRINK of awesome, in Mortal Kombat, Story mode is as good as ever, telling the story of MK1,MK2,and MK3. Including the Challenge tower and a excellent character roster, from Scorpion to Cyber Sub-Zero, this game was over the top, AWESOME.
I'M SO BAAAAD
#34  August 06, 2012, 05:29:49 am
    • USA
My only beef is that I hate how they're trying to make Liu Kang a villain now... (See both Liu Kang's and Shang Tsung's MK9 endings) I knew as soon as he returned as a Zombie, something was up. Why they have to screw up my personal favorite Mortal Kombat character is beyond me. Others may see it differently, but that's ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I still love the series, tho. Hopefully they'll make Mortal Kombat 10 in the future?
*New Site* (W.I.P)
(Willing to host creations, just hit me up!)
https://cozysquirtlemugen.weebly.com/
#35  August 06, 2012, 05:52:17 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
i'll never understand why they kept pushing the concept of rayden losing his patience and his mind. i'm aware he was originally going to be written as a villain way back then, but the whole thing with him actually changing his outfit to black and his eyes red just to signify him getting pissed off really killed off a potentially interesting concept
#36  August 06, 2012, 06:04:03 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
well guys thanks for the tips. in the end i bought deception since it was on sale when i went to buy shaolin monks and bought two games for the price of one

i was originaly planning to buy armageddon because it had all the characters but i decided to give deception a try. my only complain is the lack of playable kung lao and sektor but i have shaolin monks to make up for kung lao

DMK

#37  August 06, 2012, 06:24:04 am
    • USA
Shaolin Monks needs to be given that update status with full online coop. If any other older 3D MK gets it before that I will cry.
#38  August 06, 2012, 07:06:03 am
  • You PC bro?
Shaolin Monks for PSN along with MK: DA, Deception and Armageddon. If they do that, I'd buy all of em. Also, lol at Raiden with his grey skin and red eyes. I never understood that. I really liked his Deadly alliance look.
#39  August 07, 2012, 07:12:37 am
  • For honor!
The best part of Mortal Kombat Deception aside from getting the limited edition version so you can play Mortal Kombat 1 was running around in konquest and punching people at random. Other than that, it's easy to see why they were rebooting Mortal Kombat in its latest installment when you look at the last gen MK games...
Iroha stripped for me

DMK

#40  August 07, 2012, 11:58:13 am
    • USA
Am I a bad person for wanting MKvsDC to of been good? Did it even have a chance due to its less excessive violence and fatality's? Shame it was broken as all hell too, but I guess around the time after its release is when Midway went down the shitter and any balance patches and extra characters went with it too.