YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat Series Discussion (Read 10561 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, July 08, 2011, 11:05:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat Series Discussion
#41  August 07, 2012, 07:47:03 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
I was playing MK2 the other day, and it feels way more solid than any other MK prior to MK9.
And I started wondering what will happen with MK after MK9? NRS is working on Injustice and story wise everyone is dead except for a few people, Sonya, Scorpion, Quan Chi, Raiden and Cage IINM.
If MK10 finally happens, will they reboot again? or they'll use the new characters from MK4 to MKA? If Stryker is a good sign of anything, they can redesign all those boring characters into something more likeable.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#42  August 07, 2012, 08:11:50 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I think NRS did a superb with their redesigns of just all older characters, especially Liu Kang but also Kung Lao, Stryker of course, Noob Saibot etc. They did a great job making the ex-palette swaps more different from each other as every before

A mix of a remake and new story parts would be the next step for the mk story i think

Raiden gathers new warriors among Johnny Cage and Sonya,Fujin and Kai might return also Jarek, Tanya, Shinnok as the new boss of course..except the Shinnok /Nehterealm story is only a part of a bigger one including Onaga as well.

I think we can expect both Mk4 and MKDA-MKA Characters.
#43  August 07, 2012, 09:10:31 pm
  • You PC bro?
ewww Kobra
#44  August 07, 2012, 09:27:59 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Yeah, personally I don't get why they offed everyone in story mode.... It's like they rebooted the franchise just to put themselves back in an inescapable narrative situation again...

Maybe they don't want to work on MK10?... I think they're tired of being type-cast as a one-franchise studio.

I figure they left the ending open in case they or anyone else wanted to take a swing at it again in the future but I don't expect it to happen any time soon, sadly. Even the Komplete Edition of MK9 came out way too soon, comparatively speaking... by this I mean that other franchises usually let sales linger for a bit longer before releasing an "All-DLC included" pack. I don't mean to imply that it was too fast for my personal taste.

Heck, they could've probably released a few more DLC characters before closing the game completely. There's still so much stuff that could be added to the game: Characters, Costumes, etc...
#45  August 07, 2012, 09:31:52 pm
Yes the new games and the way MK developed further went not so well and some games may have improved storywise and  such... but back in the times of MK3 UMK3? Back in those times Street Fighter and such can suck ass. Though the new MK9 is I'd say the best fighting game, I never cared about other fighting games btw..
New #46  August 07, 2012, 10:48:31 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Mortal Kombat series are one of my faves and though I have seen some things about the series.Other mdeia were also popular as well (exclding MK: Annihilation That sucked REAL BAD)

1.The game feature a variety of of awesome characters like  bold ninjas deadly beauties, Chine martial artist, demigods,robots,monsters etc.tHisone has one the best rosters ever.

2.Pallete swapping was common feature in the series begining I mean from MK till last year's remake (or till Armageddon). Every few of them had similar basic moves and this one was one the unique features in the game. Since you guys have been discussing

3.The series have darker content than others and more awesome storylines.MK 9 had best of them all.No wonder it had a great reception.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

4. This series were almost in all controversies due to fatalities in it and most children tried in reality They have got some lawsuits and some have banned the series due to intense violence. Its cool in game but real life we should reenact the moves or fatalities i think now everyone knows about that but back then the craze were so high many ended up losing their lives. The link tell all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversy_of_Mortal_Kombat

No doubt that this game had been one of the best franchise ever.
 Check this spoiler
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I think that MK9 was epic  the game almost resets everything from the previous series. And who know in MK 10 a new chapter will be written in the history of MK. I liked MK 2 Arcade version because the home versions (SNES and Genesis) were good but not as like the arcade version.

Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:28:00 pm by Segatron
#47  August 08, 2012, 01:34:12 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I started with MK2..favorite character has been to this day Scorpion. I was always a fan of the spear move. maybe cuz it was THE most realistic move out of them all compared to throwing and iceball and instantly freezing player 2. Subby has some great combos in MK2(uppercut, jump kick,ice slide, ice puddle, repeat) I remember accidently doing fatalities from button mashing. those were the days man. I haven't even touched MK9 yet but I assume it's a good game. stays true to it's roots. the 3D plane screwed things up in my opinion. MK3 and UMK3 lost touch because the run button was a stupid idea. I think the best part of the original 2 MK games was that there was no insanely long combos and your hits had to be well thought out. you had to utilize what they had to your advantage like the combo I mentioned earlier, and utilize fast reflexes.

MK's charm came from using cunning to make combos instead of stringed combos already present.
#48  August 08, 2012, 03:16:48 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
MK9 is great because it reduces those dial-a-combos from MK3 down to combo starters/linkers, and they're always 3-4 hits at the most. Look at some videos, you'll see after those first puches/kicks, everything else is chained together at the players discretion. It brings back that gameplay that requires players to be more creative to achieve long chains that keep the opponent in the air. Sure, there's a limit eventually to how many ways you can combine things, but it's very open and I'm sure we haven't seen everything yet.

It's pretty much MK2 with more custom comboability (YOU'RE doing the combo instead of just pressing a preset sequence) and without the run button (there are dashes now, though, which don't detract from the game).

Definitely recommend it if you haven't played it. Heck, if anyone owns the Vita version and wants to play, PM me!
#49  August 08, 2012, 03:28:09 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
damn I'll have to pick up a Vita or PS3 and MK9.
New #50  August 08, 2012, 04:05:24 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
my advice would be not playing any of those because it's going to make you fucking hate mortal kombat. wait until you can play mortal kombat 9. play the old 2d shit meanwhile.
and you were right! i absolutely hate this fucking game so much

i should have listened to you :-\
Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:14:48 am by Bastard Wolf