YesNoOk

Women that have ascended BEYOND women! (Read 39725 times)

Started by Balthazar, August 22, 2012, 12:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Women that have ascended BEYOND women!
#21  August 22, 2012, 02:23:39 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Thanks for proving me wrong everyone but Balthazar!

As for you, Balthazar... I am disappointed.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#22  August 22, 2012, 02:27:52 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
 :disappointed:
is it because you maybe dislike asians?

The only reason my pick wasn't you, is because you're not a media/movie figure, which this thread was supposed to be about...

#23  August 22, 2012, 02:34:48 pm
    • UK
    • strides2glory.com/
#24  August 22, 2012, 02:44:49 pm
He's not right in saying we suddenly started referring to the people as their food. Oriental is by definition everything and anything at the East, people and food all the same.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#25  August 22, 2012, 02:47:58 pm
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
I prefer East-Asian, or just Asian in general. Oriental is considered offensive to me (if I'm directly called one).
#26  August 22, 2012, 02:49:07 pm
Offensive ? :???: It's never been an insult or degrading at all AFAIK. Why would you consider it offensive if called one ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#27  August 22, 2012, 02:50:30 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Do you ever hear people saying Occidental to refer to the west?
#28  August 22, 2012, 02:51:01 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Oh come on guys..not again the "i feel offended" crap.

#29  August 22, 2012, 02:51:55 pm
As a matter of fact, yes, absolutely. At least in French it's very common, not sure about in English (Westerner is the nearest and only translation I know). I just don't see how "Oriental" would be offensive in any way, it never was.
#30  August 22, 2012, 02:52:06 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
We refer ourselves as "occidentals" (in French at least, not sure about English), so why not "oriental" for you ? It's just a geographic thing (unless in your place/language, there's a deeper meaning, I dunno).

Damn, beaten by Byakko.

Oh come on guys..not again the "i feel offended" crap.
Yeah, seriously.
Inb4 people start saying "rich" is an insult because being rich is mocking the poor, and other type of crap like that ...
#31  August 22, 2012, 02:53:16 pm
    • UK
    • strides2glory.com/
#32  August 22, 2012, 02:54:31 pm
No it's not. The dictionary and Wikipedia agree with me. What the fuck is wrong with you.
#33  August 22, 2012, 02:56:33 pm
    • UK
    • strides2glory.com/
#34  August 22, 2012, 02:57:46 pm
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
In some places, it is considered offensive. The wiki does say that, but in general it is widely accepted. It's just rather my personal preference not to be called an "oriental".

"Even more recently, in some places it has come to be considered objectionable or offensive, particularly in its noun form." <- Wiktionary - Wiki.
#35  August 22, 2012, 02:58:37 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Well okay ...

Wikipedia said:
The adjectival term Oriental has been used by the West to mean cultures, peoples, countries, and goods from the Orient. "Oriental" means generally "eastern". It is a traditional designation (especially when capitalized) for anything belonging to the Orient or "East" (for Asia), and especially of its Eastern culture. It indicated the eastern direction in historical astronomy, often abbreviated "Ori."

In contemporary English, Oriental usually refers to things from the parts of East Asia traditionally occupied by East Asians and most Central Asians and Southeast Asians racially categorized as "Mongoloid". This excludes Indians, Arabs, Jews, and most other South or West Asian peoples. Because of historical discrimination against Chinese and Japanese, in some parts of the United States, the term is considered derogatory; for example, Washington state prohibits use of the word "Oriental" in legislation and government documentation, preferring the word "Asian" instead.

Damn you English speakers making every word an insult... :gonk:
You transformed Latin based normal words into insults. WTF !!!
The term "Orient" derives from the Latin word oriens meaning "east"
The opposite term "Occident" is derived from the Latin word occidens meaning "west" (lit. "setting" < "occido" "fall/set"). This term was once used to mean the West (where the sun sets) but has fallen into disuse in English.
#36  August 22, 2012, 03:00:15 pm
    • Germany
anyone else seeing the analogy to the USA / American debate? :lugoi:
#37  August 22, 2012, 03:00:49 pm
It's not even a general rule in all of the English language, only in "some parts of the USA". That's just retarded. Do people in other parts of the USA even recognize it can be offensive in those specific parts ?
English language doesn't use Occidental because Westerner has grown more popular, but there isn't even an Easterner equivalent. It's literally the only word to describe anything from the East. Oriental spices, Orient Express, Oriental studies, that's very common and that's definitely not an insult. It's not even like "gay" where people considering it an insult would start associating gay people with the insult.

(as for the Wiktionary entry, for some reason there's an "Oriental" entry and an "oriental" entry which are apparently not the same thing somehow)
Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:13:02 pm by Carpe Diem
#38  August 22, 2012, 03:03:28 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Please Valodim , add rules about specific words like oriental or gay , or filters which change words so we wont offend each other here every day :(

Also, its damn offending that my dreamgirl Bella Donna does not get the same respect as those other actresses1
#39  August 22, 2012, 03:12:58 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
As a matter of fact, yes, absolutely. At least in French it's very common, not sure about in English (Westerner is the nearest and only translation I know). I just don't see how "Oriental" would be offensive in any way, it never was.

I never said anything about it being offensive.  I was only wondering why people use it.
#40  August 22, 2012, 03:14:39 pm
Yes, sorry, you just talked about the food association ; I meant the offensive part for... everyone else.