YesNoOk

NoZ's WarZoNe Custom Portrait Thread (Read 886918 times)

Started by Saikoro, September 09, 2012, 07:09:31 pm
Share this topic:
NoZ's WarZoNe Custom Portrait Thread
#1  September 09, 2012, 07:09:31 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Welcome to our forum thread that deals with everything portrait related to NoZ's excellent, and quite popular, screenpack for our favorite fighting game engine.  Instead of having 50 or so release topics pertaining to different releases, why not have a governing thread to share your work?? This makes more sense to me. Use this thread as a way of showing off your custom work, WIP's, or constructively criticize/comment on releases, etc.

And by constructively criticizing work, that's exactly what I mean. Any negativity will not be tolerated and your posts will be deleted. YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD NICELY.

Below are two videos in which I feel do a very good job of explaining the absolute basics of image indexing and editing, They also serve as a segway into my mini-tutorial below.

A nice generalized video that shows the basics you will need to understand:

**Don't listen to his colorloss BS though, that's something I recommend you do by hand. All of his portraits are made by Gimp.

Here is a nifty little tutorial that gives an idea of how to properly index:

**I mention this below in step #6:

NoZ's official WarZoNe thread can be found here.

All of NoZ's WarZoNe templates can be separately downloaded from my Mediafire here.

And lastly, here is a miniature tutorial I typed up: it gives you the general gist of how to go about editing an image for Mugen 1.0's strict 256 color index method. Considering how there are countless ways to go about indexing, this is the best way to describe and summarize it, step by step:

1: Test resize your image to see what you're going to frame. This becomes handy because:
A: You get a clear idea of exactly how your final product will look like framing wise.
B: You don't have to waste time erasing what's not going to be needed.

2: Erase what you don't need from the background on your full size image.

3: Resize your image to what you desire size wise, which is pretty much the same thing as step 1, but official.

4: Clean up anything further, if necessary. When you resize an image to a smaller size, you often get distortion than needs to be given attention.

5: Index your image. This is the most popular method that is used in PhotoShop:

Index/Mode/Indexed Color with the settings of Forced/None, Matte/None and Dither/Diffusion.

6: This step is the single most important aspect of perfecting your image as you see fit: Post indexing, you're going to end up with a lot of distortion from indexing an image from 1,000's of colors to 256 colors (255 plus the background color, usually Mugen's hot pink). As a result, colors will look distorted and pixelated. This needs to be fixed in order to end up with a clean looking image. I feel that this step is necessary, but the amount of time you wish to spend is entirely up to you and your standards.

7: Apply NoZ's formatting, which is included in detail with WarZoNe itself.

8: Epic win.

Other small tips that will help you:

Do NOT rely on a single toolset to make your image shine. The best results come from painstaking accuracy through editing with the brush tool. Use tools only to augment your image, not define it. If you rely on the easy way out, your final images will show through, quite frankly, shit quality.

Avoid filters. The only one who I have seen using filters correctly would be Big Boss through his Mugen/Metal Gear Solid Screenpack. Only use filters if the screenpack actually calls for it.

Work efficiently through knowing all of the shortcuts that you can. Off the top of my head, PhotoShop has these shortcuts:

CTRL+N: Make a new image
CTRL+O: Open a file
CTRL+S: Save your file
CTRL+W: Close your image
CTRL+Q: Quit Photoshop

Z: Zoom Tool
B: Brush Tool **Holding ALT while in Brush Mode will bring up the Eyedropper tool
E: Eraser Tool
V: Move Tool

Holding SHIFT while pressing E cycles through your eraser tool types. This works for every tool.

**These are somewhat arbitrary as you can view a keyboard shortcut by rolling the mouse over the icon of the desired tool you wish to use. However, these are the most important ones, so I figured I'd mention them.

Holding down the Spacebar activates the Hand Tool, which is usually accessed by pressing H. I mention this because this important shortcut allows for very quick movement of your image by just dragging it around with the mouse, without having to roll your pointer over the hand icon, or without switching out of zoom mode. Trust me on this one, this is one of the best shortcuts for those of us who want efficiency at full zoom without interruption.

CTRL+ALT+I: Image Size
CTRL+ALT+C: Canvas Size

**These are great for resizing your image quickly. The Canvas Size will make your overall image's background bigger or smaller, exactly like a canvass would. The Image Size will make the image itself larger or smaller, which is integral for steps 1 and 3. I always work with a large canvass with a small image inside it as another layer. Which reminds me of this shortcut:

CTRL+SHIFT+N: New Layer.
**I always have a clear background layer with my image as the foreground layer.

Know your shortcuts!! This allows for you to work faster and be more efficient. But remember, efficient should not be confused with finishing something faster. Instead, look at is a way of getting more work done in less time so you can focus your efforts and make better quality stuff. Everyone asks me how I make such high quality and clean looking images; It's simply a matter of patience and time.

Again, that's up to you and your very own work ethic. And your personal view on quality. :devilish:

Best wishes to whatever portrait endeavors you create. Don't forget to share them!! :lugoi:
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:53:36 pm by Saikoro
Re: NoZ's WarZoNe Custom Portrait Thread
#2  September 09, 2012, 08:44:23 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
Here are my custom Win Portraits, it pretty much contains your average shotos like Ryu, Akuma, Ken, etc. but with a few exceptions. :sneaky:
Anyways, feedback appreciated.

28 portraits. Some are good, some aren't.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
http://www.mediafire.com/?wg6horaurud8yd9

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:47:47 pm by Markpachi
#3  September 09, 2012, 08:46:57 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Awesome man!! Be sure to post some screens for us to see.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#4  September 09, 2012, 10:02:22 pm
  • Green Lotus
    • USA
Made a new Felicia Select Port, also figured that it was the effects that you were supposed to transfer over from the Ryu port in the template that caused the white pixels. I discovered this after fixing up Rainbow Mika's render from the strays it had before indexing. So it would be wise to just recreate the effects yourself instead of moving them from port to port.

NoZ

#5  September 09, 2012, 11:52:15 pm
  • pain is weakness leaving the body
    • Puerto Rico
    • phantomgs.forumotion.net/
Good to see this tread here,Im taking a lil break from mugen as of now,but Im gonna start working on a portrait pack soon,go crazy with them ports fellas
#6  September 10, 2012, 12:01:11 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
@NoZ: This thread is well deserved due to your knack for excellent work. I hope people come through and make some amazing stuff. I know I will soon.

This Felicia is a good start. Show us what you can do!!

#7  September 10, 2012, 12:14:32 am
  • Green Lotus
    • USA
I'm having a problem with the lifebar ports though, I can't index the pink so it shows up when in play.
#8  September 12, 2012, 03:24:16 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
First post updated. The video I provided a link for is of mediocre quality, but the guy goes into explanation about how you index an image with the "hot pink" color as your transparent background color.

I'll try to find better ones for future  updates.

#9  September 15, 2012, 04:38:01 am
  • commissions open bang my line
    • USA
    • https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/xtayisblackx?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
Some of the pictures ended up looking kinda awkward IMO. There's a bit of color loss in SOME of them. maybe all i dunno I really love how venom turned out c: whaddya guys think?

download em here
http://www.mediafire.com/?61jqdx99ezffji6
enjoy

oh um about the win ports. I dont personally use a win screen i turn it off. and i use the normal lifebars so those other portraits, this guy didn't make sorry :l
My stages folder:
https://app.mediafire.com/g5pnpb2im4lqa

Want a screenpack ported to ikemen? DM's open
Want a stage remade with parallax & possible super jump? DM's open

GLB

#10  September 15, 2012, 04:42:55 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Venom's my favorite by far. Some look poorly scaled and awkwardly stretched though.
#11  September 15, 2012, 04:47:59 am
  • commissions open bang my line
    • USA
    • https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/xtayisblackx?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
Honestly, i took pictures and moved them to fit. I didn't scale any of them haha.

well other than that blanka one. but i actually took time out to make sure it still looked nice :p
My stages folder:
https://app.mediafire.com/g5pnpb2im4lqa

Want a screenpack ported to ikemen? DM's open
Want a stage remade with parallax & possible super jump? DM's open
#12  September 15, 2012, 06:03:36 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
@Taybear: These are good. Be careful of some stray pixels when you index. You covered/fixed plenty, but there's always more room to clean things up furthermore.

Also, hold down shift while free transforming your images. No matter how good they look, they will look odd if they appear distorted. Nicely done and thanks for the share!! :sugoi:

#13  September 15, 2012, 08:27:46 am
  • There is a demente in everyone!
    • www.dementi.it
W.I.P.:

GLB

#14  September 15, 2012, 09:04:58 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Very nice. It blends very well together, can't wait for these.
#15  September 17, 2012, 08:57:59 pm
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
Did one for Jon Talbain/Gallon there is some color loss mainly in the win portrait and don't worry about the black dot on his finger it's fixed in the download

Download

NoZ

#16  September 17, 2012, 10:35:57 pm
  • pain is weakness leaving the body
    • Puerto Rico
    • phantomgs.forumotion.net/
DAT Talbain win port :llama:

Sexy
#17  September 17, 2012, 11:07:28 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Agreed with Noz, sexy indeed. I will have to post my cents of ports as well.
#18  September 19, 2012, 02:28:39 pm
    • www.dementi.it
My best one for now:

#19  September 19, 2012, 07:54:28 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Nice work on Oro. I like it.

I would use this one as a reference for quality. Colorloss is at its absolute minimum, and according to what I see, he was scaled properly. Excellent share. Good work. :sugoi:

#20  September 21, 2012, 11:53:38 pm
    • www.dementi.it
MOAR:

In game:

Some WIPS:

Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:07:58 am by Garuda