YesNoOk

Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page) (Read 44675 times)

Started by Graphicus, September 18, 2012, 11:23:41 am
Share this topic:
Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page)
#1  September 18, 2012, 11:23:41 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina

Just felt it was time to announce a project I've been working on. As you may be able to tell from the title, the character in question is the protagonist of an anime series called Saint Seiya, which you might also know from it's unfortunate alternative title: Knights of the Zodiac.

There are a lot of Saint Seiya characters available in MUGEN already. The biggest issue I have with the ones I've tried is that they're pretty much broken. Not only that, but it seems to be a standard habit to give them a 30-second-or-more startup for every super move, just because "that's the way it is in the anime!". It gets old in the anime too, people... no need to be so literal in a fighting game, it ruins the pacing.

I'm hoping to change the bad rep Saint Seiya has in MUGEN by creating a CVS/KOF-ish version of the character with flashy, yet tight and non-stupid/overpowered moves. I've got the movelist all planned out already, but I'm still looking for a coder who might share an interest in bringing a decent version of this character to life. If no one's interested, I'll have to learn how to code from scratch and do it myself, of course...

Planned Movelist:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Here are some sprites I've been working on (note that the colors are flat, since I'm still animating. This is NOT the actual palette, nor does it represent the total number of colors that are going to be available in the palette!)

I'm still working on the stance... the arms look nice but the body lacks movement.

This is actually a combination of both the weak and strong punches. I'm planning to make the former cancellable into the latter, so I made sure the transition was smooth.
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:45:32 am by Graphicus
Re: Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page)
#2  September 18, 2012, 11:52:13 am
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
looks very promising, like the animations... if you pull this out real nice we could have the best saint seiya character to existence.... good luck!
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#3  September 18, 2012, 12:29:07 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Very smooth anims. It's promising indeed.
Good luck.
#4  September 18, 2012, 12:45:02 pm
    • Argentina
#5  September 18, 2012, 07:20:25 pm
    • Argentina

Oh my gawd! This gonna be awesome :lugoi:

What style (of spriting) will he have? :???:

Um... you mean "shading"? (the sprites are right there as far as style is concerned, lol).

Dunno... I was thinking I should go for a clean cartoon-like CVS shading... every other Seiya character I've seen uses a pseudo-SNK shading style, so I'd like to change things up a little. Since the gameplay is planned to be closer to CVS than anything else, I'm thinking that even the colors should match up nicely when facing other CVS chars.

By the way, there are plenty of other sprites available... I'm just lazy to make a gif out of them yet. I've edited my first post to show what has been completed.
Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:18:42 pm by Graphicus
#6  September 18, 2012, 08:45:14 pm
pretty cool Graphicus, even tough Seiya its my least favorite saints of them all i hope you success on this project, will he have Sagitarius golden clothes as an ultra move or something?, perhaps even an Odin Cloth  desperation Move?
#7  September 18, 2012, 09:35:41 pm
    • Argentina

pretty cool Graphicus, even tough Seiya its my least favorite saints of them all i hope you success on this project

Thanks! He's not my favorite Saint either, but I figured I should start with him, since he's the protagonist. If people like the character, I may work on the rest of the Saints later (next should be Dragon Shiryu).

will he have Sagitarius golden clothes as an ultra move or something?, perhaps even an Odin Cloth  desperation Move?

If you look at the Move List, you'll see that he does. He'll put on the cloth momentarily to shoot the golden arrow, then revert back to the Pegasus cloth (just in case anyone was hoping for a transformation).

I'm not giving him an Odin Cloth desperation move. While I did find the Asgard saga interesting, this is supposed to be more of a manga-faithful character... I don't plan to add anything that comes from any filler episodes in the anime (hence the reason it's called Pegasus Seiya 5th Cloth, and not 3rd Cloth). The default palette for the character will be white clothes underneath the cloth (he will have an anime palette too, don't worry).
Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:02:02 am by Graphicus
#8  September 18, 2012, 11:58:59 pm
    • Argentina
Oh my gawd! This gonna be awesome :lugoi:

What style (of spriting) will he have? :???:

Um... you mean "shading"? (the sprites are right there as far as style is concerned, lol).

Dunno... I was thinking I should go for a clean cartoon-like CVS shading... every other Seiya character I've seen uses a pseudo-SNK shading style, so I'd like to change things up a little. Since the gameplay is planned to be closer to CVS than anything else, I'm thinking that even the colors should match up nicely when facing other CVS chars.

By the way, there are plenty of other sprites available... I'm just lazy to make a gif out of them yet. I've edited my first post to show what has been completed.

Oh, yep, I wanted to say that ;D Excellent, I'd like to see them in CVS shading! And Ikki is my favourite but as Seiya is the protagonist, it's ok :P
#9  September 19, 2012, 11:17:28 pm
    • Argentina

Ikki is EVERYONE'S favorite... lol. The only Bronze Saint that's not a crying pansy... ;P

My problem with Ikki is coming up with a movelist that sets him apart from the other saints. If Seiya is a success (which I'm kind of struggling with, as this is my first char), I'll probably work on Dragon Shiryu next. Just because I already have a fun movelist in my head.

Here are more gifs to keep you guys excited about the project (hopefully?)

Awkward kick, I know... I like it, though.

Here's the face get-hit... the floor's just there for reference. Love the detail on the face... too bad it's barely noticeable.

This one looks odd because I can't make the gif go faster... It looks fine in GraphicsGale.
#10  September 19, 2012, 11:58:38 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Anims looking good :) Looks promising!
#11  September 20, 2012, 12:04:14 am
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
looks pretty well done and smooth,keep it up
#12  September 20, 2012, 12:25:42 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
wow those anims look very nice
mugen or nothin

#13  September 20, 2012, 03:12:33 am
    • Argentina
They're looking fking awesome, dude! And yep! Ikki FTW! :sugoi:

Are you thinking to do some funny intro or something with Koga/Tenma? :???: :P
#14  September 20, 2012, 03:46:55 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
You've got an amazing way of spriting! I wish you luck man! If you need any effects, let me know! :O
#15  September 20, 2012, 02:19:14 pm
A question: if you're going for open source, are you going to release the sketches (they're really good), or are you going to release the CvS sprites?
I ask you because if someone would like to give a different shading, he could be free to do that instead of editing already shaded sprites; you know, to make things easier.
Good luck with this!
#16  September 20, 2012, 02:44:37 pm
    • Argentina

You've got an amazing way of spriting! I wish you luck man! If you need any effects, let me know! :O

I do need effects, actually!

It's kind of early to start with those yet, though... but I'll definitely ask you for some when the time comes (there's not that many, don't worry).

A question: if you're going for open source, are you going to release the sketches (they're really good), or are you going to release the CvS sprites?
I ask you because if someone would like to give a different shading, he could be free to do that instead of editing already shaded sprites; you know, to make things easier.
Good luck with this!

Hmmm... it's my first character, so I hadn't considered that... not sure if they're going to be open source, yet... probably AFTER I find a programmer and do my version of the character first. When that time comes, sure, I can probably release the sprites the way they appear in the gifs, so that people can shade them differently, if they feel like it. I hope I don't come off as a jerk for saying this, but even if they're open source, I'd still like to get credit (at least in the character's Readme, or something).

Are you thinking to do some funny intro or something with Koga/Tenma? :???: :P

I was thinking I'd just do the typical Pandora Box intro, where the cloth appears in its constellation form, then splits up and jumps onto Seiya's body.
Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:05:27 pm by Graphicus
#17  September 22, 2012, 08:05:55 pm
    • Argentina

Sorry for double posting.

All standing and crouching moves are done! Here's a preview of some crouching moves! (sorry for the abuse of speed lines... they're there for reference, mostly... the animation looks fine without the frames in which they appear, too).

#18  September 22, 2012, 08:17:08 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
that looks very neat! Glad to see you making more stuff.
#19  September 23, 2012, 05:58:05 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
i really like the way you sprite man
mugen or nothin

#20  September 24, 2012, 07:42:19 pm
  • Walking on a Dream !!
    • Mali
Nice graphicus !!! If you need some help for the shading i'm your guy !!