YesNoOk

Knuckles the Echidna(Mugenhunter) Edit (Read 31024 times)

Started by Veanko, October 04, 2012, 07:10:30 pm
Share this topic:
Knuckles the Echidna(Mugenhunter) Edit
#1  October 04, 2012, 07:10:30 pm
  • i am loyal to you unless you disagree with me
    • UK
    • www.dropbox.com/sh/n7tsdpf464qtbk1/AAB7z1LhB6Ee1cE5tyOVEB5ra?dl=0

Videos:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

A rather long time ago, Mugenhunters characters were considered the best sonic characters for mugen. probably because all the releases were just god shin ulta mk2 rykeuma. and every other sonic character was so bad it wasn't even funny. however by todays standards, with more and more original sprited and well coded characters. Mugenhunters sonic characters are really bad: Messy CLSNs, Wacky damage values(why does a normal do more damage than a Shouryuu Ken?), and bad gameplay(though that may be subject to debate)

so i made this edit of knuckles to try to make him more balanced and fun to play. i chose knuckles because i believe sonic is a wip by seanalty at the moment and nobody gives a shit about tails.

i have completely changed his gameplay, think of GM's Gundam chars or Z2 chars. but with only 3 buttons(yes, he is a 3 button character now instead of 4. i personally think that works better. and i like 3 button characters for some reason), i have changed him so much that a changelog would take up 50% of the readme. just play him for yourself.

i have fixed his CLSN's and wacky damage values, so hes now much more balanced and fun to play.

NOTE: if you are useing winmugen. you will need to use Win_Knuckles.def otherwise mugen will crash!!!

Download ---> http://www.mediafire.com/?5v38aa9b7707cvb

Changelog:

-V.1.2

-Added AI
-Different .defs for winmugen and mugen 1.0. winmugen users will need to use Win_Knuckles.def otherwise mugen will crash
-Added config.cns, Winmugen users can change the difficulty level of the AI and can turn off the charge attack. 1.0 users only have the option to turn off the charge attack because the AI level scales automatically based on the difficulty level in the options menu. 
-Fixed head.pos and mid.pos values
-Fixed the "Glide" sound continuing to play after being hit
-Fixed haveing Superarmor on charge attack and Mega Flame Punch while recovering
-Knuckles now uses both of his fists for the fwd throw.
-The rocks on rock throw will now break upon hitting the ground instead of just blinking away
-Increased the recovey time of C.HP
-New big and small portrait
-4 New Palettes
-Killing a foe with Charge attack will no longer stun them.
-Nerfed Charge attack:
 -increased the startup and recovey time
 -after getting hit while chargeing, you can no longer counter immediately.
 -you will now take damage when getting hit while chargeing the charge attack.

-V.1.1

-No longer crashes winmugen
-Added Winquotes
-Removed the red screen after Mad Punch Out.
-When hitting with rock throw or the max version of mad punch out, the enemy now only blinks white rather then turning white for a while.
-Reduced the size of the CLSN on the final hit of the fwd throw.
-Added hitsparks to the fwd throw.
-the fwd throw now adds to the hit counter
-When hitting a stunned enemy with the Charge Attack, it now just knocks them down rather than just going though them.
-Fixed bug where sometimes the Max version of Mad Punch Out would cause you to dash though the enemy.
-I forget to metion a command move...
something looks a little off...

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TVeanko
Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:33:34 am by Veanko
Re: Knuckles the Echidna(Mugenhunter) Edit
#2  October 04, 2012, 07:23:34 pm
  • Holy BRAP
    • UK
I've always wanted to see a really good edit of Knuckles and I believe today is that day.

Thanks for the edit Veanko, I'll give him a try :)
#3  October 04, 2012, 07:47:22 pm
  • Currently working in 8 bits...
    • Sweden
Here's hoping someone will make a nice edit of Metal Sonic with Sonic the Fighters abilities instead of silly holograms. :)
#4  October 04, 2012, 08:26:59 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:43:01 pm by Llong Jjohn Killer

DW

#5  October 04, 2012, 08:27:49 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Cool, gonna try him out and give you some feedback soon. As for winquotes... A lot of them can be the generic fanfare type. You could have him talk about Angel Island/the Master Emerald in some of them.
#6  October 04, 2012, 08:33:11 pm
    • UK
The only bug I see is after hitting with his Charge Attack, he can't hit with it again until they break out of being stunned.

Awesome to see a good Knuckles in production.  Thanks for the great edit for him.

Thats not a bug. it would be pretty cheap if you could stun them again while they were stunned. you could just stun them to death.

#7  October 04, 2012, 08:38:09 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Ah, my bad, I meant that if hit again, they should be knocked down, not stunned again, sorry.
#8  October 04, 2012, 08:44:50 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Very nice edit! Like it!

Hmm, shouldn´t he have a wall cling similar to Strider?
#9  October 04, 2012, 08:59:08 pm
    • UK
That would be cool, though i don't think mugenhunter made any sprites for him doing that, unfortunately.

And thank you. :) its nice to see that people like him.

Posted: October 04, 2012, 09:00:44 pm
Ah, my bad, I meant that if hit again, they should be knocked down, not stunned again, sorry.

yeah, i should have probably made it so it just knocks them down rather then it going though them, i didn't really think of that.

Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:04:08 pm by Veanko

DW

#10  October 04, 2012, 09:09:18 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Here's some feedback...

-Crashes Winmugen :(

-Why the red screen effect for the final punch of his super combo barrage?

I'm assuming this was retained from his original version? This is unappealing in all honesty. It completely blocks out everything. It's just a solid red screen, then the foe flies away. If it had something like a silouhette appeal Like Dcat's Leo Lv3 super, that'd be much better. You could do without it entirely because it doesn't add anything to the move at all. It's really an eyesore.

-Still regarding that super, the foe just turns solid white while being hit...

This also happens with Rock Throw. Very unappealing. If they "blinked"/flashed white, that'd be cool, but just being solid white looks tacky and uninspired.

-The rocks from Rock Throw should break upon hitting the ground as well imo, not just when it hits the foe. Looks weird that is just "blinks" away.

-Hit counter doesn't register during his front punching throw. Should register/add to the hit count for each punch. Also, why the huge red clsn for the final hit?

The giant hitbox seems unnessecary imo.

-Maybe you could get a better big portrait for him.

Plays really nice overall. Nice edit. I've never played with the original, but I'll take your word on it with them needing touch ups. And you did a good job of it. Thanks for the share.
Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:12:50 pm by HollywoodWolf
#11  October 04, 2012, 09:32:24 pm
    • UK
-Crashes Winmugen :(

can you tell me what the error message(assuming you got one) said?

-Why the red screen effect for the final punch of his super combo barrage?

i left that in because i kinda liked it IMO. though i think i will take your word on it and remove it. or atleast make an option to remove it.

-Still regarding that super, the foe just turns solid white while being hit...

yeah, i think i will go with what you said change it so they blink white for a split second.

why the huge red clsn for the final hit?

i did that to make sure that they would get hit. since some characters may ether be really small or have weird dizzy animations. the only time this may be a problem is in simul mode, but i don't really care for simul.

-Maybe you could get a better big portrait for him.

maybe, but i don't see anything wrong with the default portrait. i was thinking more of the small portrait...

-Plays really nice overall. Nice edit. I've never played with the original, but I'll take your word on it with them needing touch ups. And you did a good job of it. Thanks for the share.

Thanks!

#12  October 04, 2012, 09:38:11 pm
  • Holy BRAP
    • UK
Do you plan to do this with other of his characters? Just askin.

DW

#13  October 04, 2012, 09:44:41 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Error message:Invalid cnstname movement.stand.friction.threshold in: Cnst
Error parsing trigger1, 1
Error parsing [State 52, 4]
Error in [Statedef 52]
Error in KnuxMH.cns
Character needs to be updated.
Error loading p1
Library error message: Died parsing:  abs(velx)<Const(movement.stand.friction.threshold)
#14  October 04, 2012, 09:53:13 pm
    • UK
Do you plan to do this with other of his characters? Just askin.

yes, i was planing to do that at some point. since i guess i can't just do knuckles and leave everyone else out. :P

this was more of a test to see if people would like him or not. i wasn't actuality expecting him to be this well-received.

Error message:Invalid cnstname movement.stand.friction.threshold in: Cnst
Error parsing trigger1, 1
Error parsing [State 52, 4]
Error in [Statedef 52]
Error in KnuxMH.cns
Character needs to be updated.
Error loading p1
Library error message: Died parsing:  abs(velx)<Const(movement.stand.friction.threshold)

Ah. i think i know what the problem is. Thank you(how many times have i said thanks or thank you in this thread? lol)

DW

#15  October 04, 2012, 10:02:22 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
No prob man
#16  October 04, 2012, 10:12:40 pm
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
-I love how you've made his glide work! Overall I've got nothing but good to say about it. I do agree you should change the small portrait, perhaps the large portrait as well since this a departure from Mugenhunter's originals. His 3-D intro screen sprites from Sonic & Knuckles could make for a nicely fitting large portrait with a bit of editing in my opinion.

My one major gripe is that you should add hitsparks and hitadds to his Forward + HK Throw (Statedef 810) just so it looks and feels more damaging.
Also I suggest making the animation such that Knuckles is hitting with alternating fists, as you have it now, it almost seems like the character is glitching out due to the repetitive motion.

Maybe speed it up as well, and have the opponent dizzied for a tad longer while Knucles winds up for the final blow?
That second part is just a suggestion, whatever your direction with this, you definitely need to add the hitspark explods and hitadd sctrller to the the move.

Nice work.
#17  October 04, 2012, 10:18:20 pm
  • hecc
Looks good, i'll have to give this a whirl, havent done anything mugen related for a while except when devillpp released ragna. Btw will you be doing edits to any other of mugenhunter's sonic characters?
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#18  October 04, 2012, 10:22:15 pm
  • Holy BRAP
    • UK

DW

#19  October 04, 2012, 10:23:53 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
yes, i was planing to do that at some point. since i guess i can't just do knuckles and leave everyone else out. :P

this was more of a test to see if people would like him or not. i wasn't actuality expecting him to be this well-received.

2 posts up bro.

#20  October 05, 2012, 03:53:07 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
Very nice edit so far! As a big Sonic fan, it brings me joy seeing someone improving MUGENHunter's work. I'd like if you brought back the gliding attack MH's original Knuckles had though.

I look forward to future updates!

nobody gives a shit about tails.

I do T_T
Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:05:43 am by JDM