YesNoOk

Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles (Read 471892 times)

Started by Roman55, October 30, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Share this topic:
Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles
#1  October 30, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/263368028568301568
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George Lucas’ Lucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise. The companies have also targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7. The stock and cash transaction is worth an estimated $4.05 billion. MORE TO COME

EDIT: http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blog/disney-acquire-lucasfilm

Bob Iger just announced that The Walt Disney Company is acquiring Lucasfilm – the global entertainment company founded by George Lucas and the home of the legendary Star Wars franchise. In addition to getting the rights to one of the greatest family franchises and epic stories of all time, Disney is also acquiring all of Lucasfilm’s operating businesses – including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound.

Did you know? The Star Wars universe now has more than 17,000 characters inhabiting several thousand planets spanning 20,000 years. This gives Disney infinite inspiration and opportunities to continue the epic Star Wars saga. Fans can expect a new feature film, Star Wars Episode 7, in theaters worldwide in 2015. George Lucas will serve as creative consultant on the film and Kathleen Kennedy, the filmmaker George handpicked to lead Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the rest of Lucasfilm into the future will be the executive producer (she’s also joining Disney as president of Lucasfilm). With this many characters to develop and stories to tell, Disney plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future.

We’ve actually had a great working relationship with Lucasfilm for years -- with Star Wars and Indiana Jones themed attractions in our parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo. So, we’re starting with a strong foundation and compatible brands – and the addition of Lucasfilm Ltd. will support our growth strategy and create even more opportunity for Disney to create incredible entertainment and drive significant long-term value for our shareholders.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:30:13 am by Roman55
Re: Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion.
#2  October 30, 2012, 09:15:28 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
No, this is great news.

On his own, George Lucas was responsible for tons of dumb shit, so I hope Disney can steer it back.

(also remember, the Tartakovsky Clone Wars miniseries was done by fans of the series that wanted to experiment with new ideas, and the result actually make the prequels watchable, so I'm hopeful Disney can work along those lines)
Re: Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion. New Star Wars film in the works.
#3  October 30, 2012, 09:20:25 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
The idea of SW with a Disney budget excites me enough.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Re: Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion. New Star Wars film in the works.
#4  October 30, 2012, 09:21:06 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
whoa, first marvel now this. Disney  monopolizing ftw
#5  October 30, 2012, 09:32:11 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I'd totally pick up UMVC3 if they have a download patch that puts either Darth Vader or General Greivous in the game
#6  October 30, 2012, 10:49:42 pm
  • Unique, just like everyone else
So at first I was excited about this.

Then I had a thought.  I don't know how involved Disney was in the recent Marvel films, but my impression is that they let Marvel do what it wanted and basically threw money and resources at them, because Disney was smart enough to realize Marvel knew what they were doing.

Now, the power of Disney behind Star Wars could mean good things, but if they use the same approach with Lucasfilms as they did with Marvel... doesn't that just mean Lucas is going to have a lot more money to waste on stupid sequels/prequels?

Then again I know jack shit about this sort of thing so maybe my entire premise is wrong.  Or at the very least Disney is smart enough to meddle in a new Star Wars flick to make sure it's not a bad movie.
#7  October 30, 2012, 10:56:31 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
#8  October 30, 2012, 11:23:34 pm
As long as these new movies aren't a 3rd trilogy that fucks with the series even MORE it's fine. I'd much rather see spinoffs involving Dark Horse or KOTOR's stuff or something that doesn't ruin the integrity of the original trilogy.
#9  October 31, 2012, 12:25:22 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
jorge lucas already set the bar pretty low anyway so I am not worried.

TAW

#10  October 31, 2012, 12:38:32 am
  • Resident Sakuyabro
  • It's fiiine.
    • USA
I'd like to see a movie based on The Force Unleased games.
#11  October 31, 2012, 12:56:15 am
The Force Unleashed games played like movies in their own right, I don't think they need a movie.
#12  October 31, 2012, 01:12:36 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I hope this doesn't mean they're gonna cancel Clone Wars like they did Spectacular Spider-Man...
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#13  October 31, 2012, 09:35:08 am
  • all is love in fair and war
... what more would there be? why can't George Lucas leave a completed saga alone and retire. 

Bea

#14  October 31, 2012, 10:36:38 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Wait, we now have a Disney princess that has a blaster, uses thermal detonators, has strong attitude and would kick a charming prince in the nuts?
AWESOME!
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#15  October 31, 2012, 01:19:10 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I'm still waiting for Kingdom Hearts with Wolverine and Spiderman as Sora's partners. Now, I have to look forward to have Darth Vader as final boss !
#16  October 31, 2012, 02:03:49 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Yeah let's see how well Wolverine handles the Little Mermaid world
#17  October 31, 2012, 02:46:35 pm
  • Sunglasses Security Guy is watching you necrobump.
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
#18  October 31, 2012, 02:49:10 pm
that'd be better for capcom at this point
#19  October 31, 2012, 04:15:08 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
#20  October 31, 2012, 05:21:51 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
AJS made a video describing the consequences of this, and he makes some good points. Here's the video: