YesNoOk

Requirements for smoothly running mugen (Read 13325 times)

Started by StanTheMan, December 20, 2012, 07:05:11 am
Share this topic:
Requirements for smoothly running mugen
#1  December 20, 2012, 07:05:11 am
When playing with seku's d4kirby and GM's Gill mugen seems to slow down a little. This also happens when playing on certain stages such as Daeron's DBZ Desert stage.What are the requirements for smoothly running mugen in high definition?
Re: Requirements for smoothly running mugen
#2  December 20, 2012, 07:06:08 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
More RAM. You could also mess with the mugen.cfg file, it's got a few options to help run Mugen smoother.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#3  December 20, 2012, 07:21:53 am
I have 4GB of RAM, how much do I need? Could you be more specific about mugen.cfg, what can I change other than game width and height?
#4  December 20, 2012, 07:25:59 am
  • tired
Welp, scratch my RAM suggestion. The options in the mugen.cfg file that'll speed Mugen up are clearly labeled. I'll throw a few out there:
-PlayerCache
-BufferedRead
-UnloadSystem
Be warned that most options that'll speed up Mugen either reduce the amount of sprites on screen (such as explods) or increase loading times.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#5  December 20, 2012, 07:54:13 am
It helps a little but loading times are long enough as it is. Will it run better on a newer computer?
#6  December 20, 2012, 07:54:50 am
  • tired
Probably. I think I've done all I can to help on this matter.
#7  December 20, 2012, 07:58:26 am
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
    • infiniteff.forumotion.com/
#8  December 20, 2012, 08:00:29 am
Vista, but my new laptop will have windows 7.
#9  December 20, 2012, 08:02:59 am
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
Vista, but my new laptop will have windows 7.
Vista is the problem. If you had either XP or 7 with 4 GB, your Mugen would most likely run smoother.

*try using less stages that are anim heavy.
#10  December 20, 2012, 08:18:30 am
Cool, thanks for pointing that out. How can people handle hi-res characters and stages? Is it just my laptop that needs to change?
#11  December 20, 2012, 10:16:26 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
What exactly is your CPU?

Core2Duo (T7200) ran MUGEN at 100% CPU most of the time under Windows XP for myself; it wasn't very smooth.

I doubt Vista is to blame.
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#12  December 20, 2012, 08:38:40 pm
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
#13  December 20, 2012, 08:45:37 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
Set the resolution to 640*480. It lags because it's too high. Higher resolution needs a lot more CPU. 960*720 is fine too, but there might be slowdowns on effect heavy situations with that. Any higher is a no-go, at least on my computer (also 2Ghz CPU but Intel).
#14  December 20, 2012, 08:53:49 pm
So I just need more CPU to run it on higher resolutions without slowing down. Thats all I needed to know, Thanks for helping guys.
#15  December 20, 2012, 08:59:59 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
If you set you color depth to 16 bit, it can also improve speed. Your main problem is that DAMN Vista.
#16  December 20, 2012, 10:11:35 pm
How do I do that, and what does the OS have to do with performance?
#17  December 21, 2012, 11:17:59 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
Absolutely nothing. He's riding the "omg vista sucks" bandwagon. The type that automatically assumes everything runs poor on your machine because you're running Vista. Kind of like racism, but on an Operating System level.

I'm confident people are just overlooking many things and are moaning about it just because everyone else is without much of an intelligent thought. My games (and MUGEN) and all applications ran fine on my Vista laptop (no drivers for Win7, couldn't upgrade) and I've used it fine for 3 years on a Intel Quad Core 9000 2.0ghz.

Brought a new computer a month back with an i7 3770s (3.9ghz) with Win7, the only improvement is the boot up time by about 20 seconds. That's all. Everything else is more or less the same. heh
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#18  December 21, 2012, 08:52:52 pm
Ok, Ill just mess around with the config until i get my new laptop, then we'll see if that's really the problem.
#19  December 27, 2012, 04:46:56 am
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
I have Vista on one of my Desktop and XP on my notebook which I mainly run MUGEN on, both duo core processors with 2GB of RAM. The Vista one lags, while the XP runs like a champ. The vista Desktop has better graphic card, both PC's are completely clean. The Vista OS just seems slower over all, it does have quicker start-up time but that's it. IMO it's the Vista OS. +I have a few friends with Vista and Mugen and they have told me the same thing concerning lag when it comes to their mugen, Vista, and many Hi-res stages with animations. I have virtually no problems on my XP notbook with 2GB of RAM, his desktop with 4GB shouldn't either. It's most likely the OS, I cant even put my resolution in anything 640x480 or less.
Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:56:36 am by Childish
#20  December 27, 2012, 05:40:14 am
  • Shakespear.