YesNoOk

Touhou Fantasy, Xenomic's RPG Maker game! (Read 365413 times)

Started by Xenomic, December 20, 2012, 12:36:23 am
Share this topic:
Re: Touhou Fantasy, Xenomic's RPG Maker game!
#21  January 03, 2013, 07:45:50 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
downloading,i will give you my thoughts about the game later
#22  January 03, 2013, 07:46:49 pm
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
If you have any trouble with downloading, let me know. I may have to reupload parts because of how Mediafire handles parts...
#23  January 03, 2013, 10:36:11 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
The game lags my computer toooooo much,so i cant play it.Fuck.
I need a better computer >.<
#24  February 03, 2013, 02:46:07 am
    • USA

Been months since I worked on mapping, so doing this bit to see if I still got it in me. I think I still do, and yes, it's barren still since I just made it. Trying to get the bridge thing going for this, though I wonder if I shouldn't worry about coding that in before actually making them...hmmm.

There are steps on this tileset, but they're not the same color as what I'd want to use. I'd need to recolor them (wonder if I couldn't get someone to do that for me...) before I used them, otherwise they'd stick out like a sore thumb (they're brown after all...). Any criticism is welcomed. This isn't the main room, mind you. I'll post that next time or something.

Oh, and for those curious, I had another computer the day my comp died, though it uses Vista. I did lose some work on the game, or what little work I did, but I'm still going strong (thanks to my external saving my butt...).
Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:15:46 pm by Xenomic
#25  February 03, 2013, 09:15:57 pm
    • USA
http://www.mediafire.com/?43iac3wc77a3b34

Fixes:

*Mokou spot on world map, marked now by a meteorite. May need to make sure that it can be accessed.
*Various teleport spots will now appear while Reisen is in the party (i.e. Youkai Mountain and Higan are prime places right now).
*The spot where Yuuka can be found is now marked with a dirt patch. This is so that the player can find her when they need to (if you're curious, if you never got Yuuka and did the Underground prior to getting her, Komachi would mention that you'd need to get Yuuka, so at that point you'd HAVE to go get her).
*The secret passage now has 2 torches on both sides of the wall to distinguish it from other walls.
*Ancient City walls cannot be walked through now. I didn't set the tileset up right for that so they were walk-througable.
*Mokou's Intel was fixed. How I got Ran out of Shikieiki is beyond me.
*Fixed Sakuya speed bugs at a couple points (after defeating Mokou, after Shikieiki event the first time). Forgot to fix the music bug after Kisume though.

That's a few things fixed at least. I don't recall what else I needed to fix, since I lost any potential fixes and whatnot when old computer died (luckily I had the recent patch on Mediafire, so I didn't lose too much other than some sprites...). Do let me know if anything is out of the ordinary!
#26  February 03, 2013, 11:56:43 pm
    • USA
If you downloaded the patch, please redownload. Apparently this computer hates saving anything on the C Drive, so anything that I did the past couple days was for naught. Moved project to desktop and now it's working fine...

http://www.mediafire.com/?46q8um1t7as0b4y
Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:34:32 am by Xenomic
#27  February 06, 2013, 04:34:42 am
    • USA
WARNING!!! MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD! DO NOT READ SPOILERS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED!!!

So here are the dungeons and enemies/bosses that I have thus far for beta5. For those who want to help with figuring out what enemies should be where, feel free to! If you wish to discuss the enemies and bosses, you may do so, but leave the bosses in spoilers so that others don't get spoiled by them! Note, this isn't final...I'm just having issues putting in enemies at the current time!

Also for those curious, as of right now without adding any new sprites, I have 269 unique enemy/boss sprites...yeah, that's a lot. @_@;

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I can post up to beta8 that I have thus far, but one at a time!
#28  February 07, 2013, 07:59:28 pm
    • USA
Update Patch 1.099: http://www.mediafire.com/?vxhy1mdur666nqf

*Added in new enemies and updated some old sprites, that being Iron Giant, the elemental fairies, and the Fairy Maid enemies.
*In addition, the entire game has been reuploaded (the game is separate from the music files, and the music files is now separated into vanilla and extended, with Beta5-8 music separate as well). If you already have all of the music files, you just need to find a flute at any save point or the Human Village and change to Expanded/Expansion to keep playing with the original game music.
#29  February 12, 2013, 02:55:16 am
    • USA
Slowly mapping away at this dungeon. This is the most recent dungeon, which leads to the 2nd floor in the main room. The idea of the dungeon, for those who don't know, is to get to the lone room on the third floor, where the goal is, by navigating through a maze. Note, I'm only doing the correct paths right now, and will do the deadend paths and loops and whatnot after that. The dungeon design for the correct path is an ascending figure 8 (with the main room being the center of said figure 8).

As you can see from the map, there's complete dark spots, which is transparent background for the parallax background (it'll be explained at some point that it's the work of the Void during the dungeon. Yes, the same Void that you're probably familiar with in the FF series). Some of these spots are actually can be traversed despite it looking like the other spots on the map (while Eientei and Blazing Fires uses this gimmick a bit, as does Cave to Makai, it starts getting used a lot more come beta5 onwards. In fact, Pandaemonium has a room that's just invisible floors to train the player a little). In addition, we have bats, both blue and red bats. Those who have already played the game fully will know that blue bats are harmless, but red bats tend to suck away HP at an alarming rate (and can lead to game overs). However, these red bats, despite them always going towards the player, do not suck blood. They just like to get in the way (the bats are represented by the various Es).

Another feature that the Hollowed Caverns has, which I wanted to introduce way back at Youkai Mountain, is you can actually walk underneath bridges as well as through tunnels. The tunnels you can't see in this screenshot, but you can tell the bridge here. I have yet to actually code in walking underneath bridges and going through tunnels, but it's very doable.

I'm also having a rather tough time making the cave interesting with each room now. There's one room in particular where there's all three floors in it, but leads to nowhere except in the room itself. Other rooms...I haven't thought on at all since this is all on the fly at the moment. I have gotten a little reply on RPGMaker.net on some ideas for the dungeon, but none of them really seem to fit well with the theme of the dungeon. For those interested, here's the reply:

"OK. Why is the magic stone here? Maybe this is either a secret base of the villain - in which case you could make it full of defensive fortifications, ritual sites, stockpiles of both traditional and magical weapons. Maybe he chose the site as a secret base because it was an abandoned underground fortress with walls built into the caves.

Or maybe instead of the villain's base, the magic stone is here because it's the site of convergence of magical leylines or whatever-the-dump. So you could have brightly colored glowing sections, pools of mystical liquids, glowing swirling spires of energy. Other magical artifacts and ritual sites that are remnants of the attempts of other people in the past to harness the energy in this site. A temple built by elves around the source of the energy.

If there's a dimensional distortion on the third floor, maybe there are other ones. Maybe sections of the cave have been sucked into the void and now there is just a vortex of darkness where they used to be.

Maybe the key item you have hidden behind a puzzle-locked door is important to the identity of this place. Is it a ring or magical object, which would have been stored or manufactured by a specific type of people? What would those people have put in place to guard it? What type of facility and equipment would they have needed to build it or energize it? You could scatter those kinds of things around the cave or even build part of the cave into a research lab - or a magical prison. Is it a machine of some type, and you could fill the cave with engines and pulleys and machine-driven gates as if it were the workhouse of a group of engineers? Is it a weapon or shield, and perhaps the cave was once a secret hideout used by blacksmiths who were persecuted by an ancient power? The remains of both their survival camp and their craft would still be present.

Maybe some of those ideas will be useful in spicing up the area. No one wants to walk through a totally featureless boring cave."

Keep in mind, the poster probably doesn't know anything about Touhou Fantasy, but some of the ideas (particularly the Void idea) might be useful? I don't know...as it stands right now, Hollowed Caverns is well...just another cave. ^^;;

I really need to brainstorm ideas more often. Tis one of the things I DON'T have really. x_x;;
#30  February 14, 2013, 09:45:20 pm
    • USA
So yes, in order to help speed up production of Touhou Fantasy, I am looking for anyone who is proficient in mapping and can work well in RPG Maker 2k3 for help in this field. I am slowly working on it myself, but at this rate the game won't be done for another 5 years and I would like to get this done eventually. Anyone interested, please feel free to either post here or PM me.

For those interested, here are what needs to be done:

*Revamping old dungeons (this only really applies to 2 beta1 dungeons).
*Mapping new dungeons (this accounts for about 30 dungeons. Yes, you read that right. There is a lot of content in the game yet to be done. For more details, feel free to ask about it either here or in PM).

I hope to see someone step up to help on this, if they are not too busy with their own project, that is. ^^;; If you require to see screenshots of the current maps I have (or current dungeons), I can post them here.
#31  February 14, 2013, 10:33:35 pm
  • Small characters can kick big ass.
    • USA
If you need a hand with any BA's, just give me the word. All I'll need afterward is a source to based the animation on, and I'll take it from there.
#32  February 14, 2013, 10:36:37 pm
    • USA
There's still all of those Valkyrie Profile animations that could be done (if possible...I know how hard doing Fire Storm was so I'm not gonna force it on ya to do those if you can't ^^; ). Most of the other BAs are meant to be based on the actual spellcards from the series (good luck with that...). So there's that with Battle Animations.

Yes, there's about 30 maps left (that's a rough estimate), but the biggest dungeon I have has about 38 maps in it. The status quota for maps seem to be about 10 maps per dungeon (though granted, most maps are big enough that they house multiple rooms in them). So that's how that is...I plan on having beta5 maps to be as long, if not shorter or longer, than Cave to Makai (which is the dungeon with 38 maps). There's about 18 dungeons in beta5 so....yeah...not all of them will be super long though, seeing as some are just simple paths and whatnot.
#33  February 25, 2013, 08:27:42 pm
    • USA
Nearly done with this dungeon, that I am. This is going to be the biggest dungeon in the game thus far it seems (it currently has 31 maps. Keep in mind that Cave to Makai had 38 maps roughly). This is fine, since I wanted the dungeons to be slightly longer than previously, and Cave to Makai was the basis for this. Granted, not ALL dungeons are going to have that many maps (Hollowed Caverns does because it's a maze), so don't have to worry about super huge dungeons. And no, this doesn't take an hour to go through (unless you go through the wrong ways constantly), because despite the sizes of the maps (most maps are 60x60), they don't take that long to go through (and there's no random encounters in this part of the dungeon).

Though I still wonder...how 2 of these maps would even remotely equal one large dungeon...I don't even see how 2 maps can even make a SINGLE dungeon myself, but that's me! In other news, SDM got heavily updated. Voile is more mazey, the basement is more of an actual basement and dungeon, and the overall look of the SDM is more sleek compared to before. Eientei is next to be fixed up (somehow...), so at least beta1 dungeons are getting fixed up massively (even though those 2 are the only dungeons that really need it). Once DemonicHobo is done with both SDM and Eientei, I'll be having him helping on beta5 dungeons. My other mapper will more than likely be setting up caves on the overworld for me.

So that's how it is~ No screenshots this time because I say so!
#34  February 26, 2013, 08:46:39 am
    • USA
Let's take a look at some changes here and there.

Left is old, right is new. I decided to go back and fix up some maps at least...though that's gonna be a chore. This is the entrance of Blazing Fires of Hell.

First version (original) is 80x80, second (my update) is 56x60, and third is same size but done by another mapper. My update took around 15-20 minutes to do. Trujin's version took 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do. This is the 5th screen in Blazing Fires of Hell, after the screen with Kisume.

Old map
   New map.

Old map is 75x30. New map is 62x30. Took 1 1/2 hours for me to do this map. I had to do this one though so that this map would make sense with the map that Trujin did for me. ;___; This is the screen right before Parsee's bridge.
#35  February 26, 2013, 08:07:20 pm
    • USA
Now here's the question for you guys. Would you rather have the maps like up above (note the bigger ones take about 1-2 hours to do) or would you rather have these maps (which from what Trujin told me, takes about 15 minutes to do)?

Do let me know!
#36  February 27, 2013, 08:06:50 am
    • USA
I decided to look at my LP for my run of my end beta4 dungeon (I don't recall what all I did in that dungeon and whatnot, so it may be shorter than what I did, or longer), but...here are the times:

20:00 for Fate
8:00 for Rikako
8:20 for Sara
2:06 for Meira
6:55 for Elis
4:57 for Shingyoku
3:50 for Alice

54:08 total spent on bosses roughly.

1:53:27 spent on dungeon alone.

Total time: 2:47:35

So um...a good portion of that is spent fighting the bosses, and as I said in RPGMaker.net, I DID say I'm going to cut down on the size of a lot of these dungeons anyways, but um...I didn't realize it was that long. It certainly didn't FEEL that long to me (and bosses are give or take too, since some can take longer, and there's quite a few cutscenes in there too. So the dungeon is split up between the bosses, several cutscenes (there's about 10 cutscenes in there or something), and the dungeon itself).

So yeah...
#37  March 10, 2013, 10:48:26 pm
    • USA

Update to Winter Forest! For reference, this is the old map:

Yeah, quite a drastic change eh? Don't mind the caves, they're not done yet, and expect a few mapping errors here and there. This is the first time running through the map after finishing it, so there's bound to be some errors here and there. A lot of the stuff you see here, such as trees bunched together, or bushes in front of one another, was done by eventing. It's the only way I CAN do it that way!

So tell me, what do you guys think? Would you like to see more videos of other updated areas? Think it's too long? Note that I did do this with random encounters turned off, and remove about a minute or 2 for the start and end, and well...it's about 4-5 minutes long. Not really that bad all things considered, even with random encounters.
#38  March 13, 2013, 04:07:35 am
    • USA

Rough draft of the Profile for characters, which will probably utilize the item that normally would've been the Scan item for times Aya wasn't available. Exorcism is going to be cut off, so that's one less thing to worry about. I have been told that there's too many elements, but I honestly don't see the problem. Exorcism/Ghost were meant to be "slayer" type effects, and Absorb there's never anything weak to it, but resistant to it, so it's more of an attribute to attacks than an actual element (yes, it's still an element, but not one that people have to worry THAT much about). Mystic and Poison aren't on here either.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody has said on said forum that there's too many statuses. Statuses that can be inflicted to players are: Death, Poison, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Confusion, Sleep, Paralyze, Amnesia, Venom, Petrify, Freeze, Slow, Stop, Fear, Power Break, Armor Break, Magic Break, Cursed, Charm, Sap, MP Sap, Disable, Heat, and Lock. 26 statuses in all, not including the positive ones and dummy statuses, which nobody would resist anyways.

Gravity, Poison, and Mystic are the three Advanced Elements of the game. Nothing is immune to or absorbs Mystic, and there's nothing that increases nor decreases resistance to it, so it's entirely based on the target's natural resistance. Poison generally deals more damage to Human-type enemies, while Gravity deals damage accordingly to size of the target.

Profile will most likely be split across pages to have more data on characters. One page being for a short bio for them, for those who don't know the characters mostly. Another just for elements, another for just statuses, and the last probably for the character's secondary command ability, in case the player forgets what it does.
#39  March 15, 2013, 03:56:48 am
    • USA

Yup, took the entire day today just to update this stupid area. I think it looks a lot better, though making it like it looks in canon is kinda hard. All I had to go with really was the Perfect Memento in Strict Sense image!

Again, let me know if you guys want to see more videos like this for updated areas, or hell, let me know if you guys even want to have me do a commentary LP on the entire game as it is...like a Developer's Edition or something.
#40  March 15, 2013, 10:54:55 pm
    • USA

Another update to the bio page thing. Spreads across 3 pages thus far (might be a 4th page, depending on circumstances). I think it's turning out good so far (note again, I'm not the one making these either).

Don't ask why he thinks going into negatives is weakness when it's generally resistance but eh.