YesNoOk

Dante by Yamato updated by me (Read 14645 times)

Started by Duos.act, March 10, 2013, 08:28:42 pm
Share this topic:
Dante by Yamato updated by me
#1  March 10, 2013, 08:28:42 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA

The original character hasn't been updated in centuries so I took it upon myself to do it.  I'm at the point where I don't really know what else to do with him.  I KNOW THE ATTACK CLSN ARE FUCKED UP.  I just don't know what to do with them because 90% of Mugen characters have bad weapon CLSN.  If anyone has a good idea of how to efficiently map them without putting Dante at a disadvantage that would be cool and I'd definitely update him.  Maybe I'll edit Nero one day and they'll get a super cool special intro.  Maybe I'll scale him more if people think he's too tall.  For now enjoy what you have.

Changelog.txt said:
What's done now
-Character scale changed.
-Changed button layout to be more like Devil May Cry standards.
-Removed style restrictions, the style system doesn't really lend itself well to a fighting game environment.
-Devil Trigger Stinger now hits OTG just like in Devil May Cry.
-Added juggle limiters to several moves.

To be done later
-Fix absurd attack CLSN.

Credits
-Yamato
-Bugya
-CaWO4
Re: Dante by Yamato updated by me
#2  March 10, 2013, 09:59:33 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar

The original character hasn't been updated in centuries so I took it upon myself to do it.  I'm at the point where I don't really know what else to do with him.  I KNOW THE ATTACK CLSN ARE FUCKED UP.  I just don't know what to do with them because 90% of Mugen characters have bad weapon CLSN.  If anyone has a good idea of how to efficiently map them without putting Dante at a disadvantage that would be cool and I'd definitely update him.  Maybe I'll edit Nero one day and they'll get a super cool special intro.  Maybe I'll scale him more if people think he's too tall.  For now enjoy what you have.

Changelog.txt said:
What's done now
-Character scale changed.
-Changed button layout to be more like Devil May Cry standards.
-Removed style restrictions, the style system doesn't really lend itself well to a fighting game environment.
-Devil Trigger Stinger now hits OTG just like in Devil May Cry.
-Added juggle limiters to several moves.

To be done later
-Fix absurd attack CLSN.

Credits
-Yamato
-Bugya
-CaWO4

Just played with him for about 5 minutes, seems like a pretty solid edit/update whatever you want to call it.  Really nice!!!  Thank you for this :-)
#3  March 11, 2013, 11:12:23 am
cool ,downloading now.i thought the old dante was very good anyway so if this version is even better then well played
#4  March 11, 2013, 11:01:28 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
One other thing you could easily improve are the super portraits with a lot of transparency, which appear before the black BG, and look really ugly.
Plus, they'd probably look much better if changed completely and centered on the screen.

For the CLSNs, why not trying to base them on characters such as CVS Haohmaru or somebody else with a sword ?
Basically, try to make the red CLSNs smaller (less range overall, even if it doesn't reach the tip of the sword), and the blue CLSNs always till the tip of his hand, but all the way to the half of the sword if the move has too much range.
You could also try giving the moves less active frames. For example, if a frame plays for 7 ticks with red CLSNs, you could have the red CLSNs for 4 ticks only, and the 3 other ticks with no red CLSNs.
#5  March 11, 2013, 11:29:06 pm
I missed this character's original release, is it a spriteswap of bugya's dante or entirely unique?
#6  March 11, 2013, 11:29:58 pm
    • USA
It is completely different, he's based on a different game.
#7  March 11, 2013, 11:40:19 pm
Awesome, I'll definitely give it a try then, I was only aware of bugya's Dante and Vergil and CaWhateverhisnameis's Nero.
#8  March 12, 2013, 01:17:03 am
I get a lag every time I want to use Vergil sword
#9  March 12, 2013, 05:16:39 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
I get lag as well and it's not just from using Yamato. I held out on mentioning it because I just thought it was my computer being shit.

The other reason being I never tried the original and have no idea if it was a problem with it.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#10  March 12, 2013, 05:26:22 pm
    • USA
My old PC got incredible lag from the original character, but it was a piece of shit with a graphics card from 1997.  I'm guessing I'm gonna have to make an alternate "lite" version of the character with fewer FX, but there's no way I can reliably test if it lags or not.  .__.
#11  March 12, 2013, 07:37:58 pm
    • Puerto Rico

That's cool someone is finally editing him up abit since he was a very incomplete character (he was still in alpha for along time now with no updates at all) also about Nero's size if you do make him I think dante was afew inches shorter then him in the game maybe you can re-size dante abit like 2 or 3 inches since Nero I think stands at 6'0 and dante a solid 5'10 range but that's my guess since we don't no for sure how tall dante is let alone his age.

DW

#12  March 12, 2013, 10:41:28 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
My old PC got incredible lag from the original character, but it was a piece of shit with a graphics card from 1997.  I'm guessing I'm gonna have to make an alternate "lite" version of the character with fewer FX, but there's no way I can reliably test if it lags or not.  .__.

I can help with this if you'd like. I'll test him now to see if it causes lag. If it does, which odds are it will cuz my PC sucks, I can test it after you lighten it to see if it works. Just let me know.
#13  March 12, 2013, 10:55:19 pm
    • USA
I would appreciate that, thanks.

DW

#14  March 12, 2013, 10:57:45 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
No problem sir. Just DL'd him, I'll try it out and get back with you soon.

Posted: March 12, 2013, 11:34:13 pm
Alright, so when I try him out, it doesn't seem to be the Yamato sword itself... Rather the higher the Stylish Points ranking goes, it starts to lag more and more... Or maybe it's just building up period, regardless of the SPs... IDK, though I know optimizing his clsns and code for certain aspects will help to take this away. May want to look that over. I haven't looked over his clsns in FF yet, so IDK if said author made use of clsn constant with anims, but you should most definitely when you get around to revamping them. Remember, the less lines of code a char has, the more proficiently they'll run. Every clsn added to a char adds a line of code to the air file. The clsns constant function can help eliminate the use of excessive clsns being used through anims. Referencing CvS Haohmaru is indeed a good idea in helping to balance his sword clsn attacks. I had never played with this incarnation of Dante before this. I really like the feel of him honestly. I look forward to further updates/progress on him. Whenever you get around to testing to see if you've lighten him up from lagging, you can shoot me a PM or w/e you feel is best. I'll give him a go to see if he's good to go.
Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:36:34 pm by TruthWolf
#15  March 12, 2013, 11:52:21 pm
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#16  March 13, 2013, 02:26:48 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
For things that may make him lag :
- Make sure all the sprites are cropped. Just launch FF3 and a "crop all", just to be sure.
- Make it so the FX shares palette within a same animation, if there are 20 frames and each has a different palette, it may cause lag.
- Add a displaytoclipboard with numhelper, just to be sure the character is not spawning a lot of helpers for unknown reasons. If it is, there's probably a faulty helper code in state-2 triggering too often.
#17  April 30, 2013, 08:44:19 pm
Just got around to testing this, my bad for the delay...

The disabling of the style system wasn't really done properly, the Trickster stuff interferes with the air sword combo among other issues, and the actual character was substantially updated like a day after this was posted, so there isn't really any point to this edit anymore.
#18  April 30, 2013, 09:44:07 pm
    • USA
My edit also fixes infinite juggles (which are still present in Yamato's final version) and makes the button layout function like DMC4's.  I've actually edited the update too, I just haven't gotten around to finishing it.
#19  April 30, 2013, 09:46:27 pm
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
as good as fixing the infinite juggles is (it is) I do not like that you removed the style system I personally like it that is the only thing keeping me from using or going to use your edit.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?