YesNoOk

KOF NESTS Conclusion (Read 132094 times)

Started by rednavi, June 14, 2009, 06:36:58 am
Share this topic:
Re: KOF NESTS Conclusion
#561  May 13, 2013, 09:26:57 pm
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
Its awesome to see you back , but my next quest is  : When can we expect a beta or alpha of the game ?
seeing that you upgrade to 1.1 , i cant wait to see them awesome no color loss ports.  :ninja:
#562  May 13, 2013, 09:36:48 pm
  • Club -SyN- in my past life
    • USA
    • negative-edge.net
OOOOOHHHHHH, INTERACTIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!! "was done on purpose"

I demand a video now!
#563  May 13, 2013, 09:48:38 pm
    • USA
Nice to see you back man. :)

About your screenshot, is the blue FX a standard Vanessa FX for your game, or is it some part of stage interaction with the water splashing ?
If it's the latter, looks odd to have HR shiny FX as part of some interaction with an old-school stage.

Of course it's an effect exclusive to vanessa, we all know she throws water at you in every KOF, no matter the stage :P

The water is part of the "system" FX, depending of the stage, instead of dust you get water so it has to be HR. It looks far better in motion since it keeps its KOF 99 framerate but meh, we'll see how it works after release, I can always make it low res again.

Its awesome to see you back , but my next quest is  : When can we expect a beta or alpha of the game ?

Release? Probably this week (For realz this time :P). It will be a VS/training only but hey, better than nothing right? I don't plan to code AI until I have enough chars for an actual arcade mode run.

i cant wait to see them awesome no color loss ports.  :ninja:

UUUUUUUH! About that... yeah....

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

OOOOOHHHHHH, INTERACTIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!! "was done on purpose"

I demand a video now!

I'm recoding some stuff right now. Turns out there's no way to display explods BELOW the character shadows so when a thunder happened in the Dinosaur World stage, it covered them, even though it was an explod of the lowest priority. So I coded the shadows as helpers now that I can abuse the sheer power of 1.1. Shadows may have a 1 tick delay if the parent's ID (Actual engine ID, not the one you assigned to the helper) is above 200 but it's the lesser of the evils so I took that route (Unnoticeable in game anyway).
#564  May 13, 2013, 09:53:55 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Rednavi, allow me to welcome you back properly.

You were greatly miss, Red.
#565  May 13, 2013, 09:55:17 pm
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
Interesting way of handling the portraits . Will you molebox the game when you are going to release it ? ( im talking about the alpha/beta )
Man , i wanted to ask you more regarding the game but i forgot >_<
#566  May 13, 2013, 10:04:18 pm
    • USA
No molebox. It was always my philosophy to share my stuff as open source, and I actually encourage people to grab my game and read its coding and inner works. I think this game is one of the best example of how to arrange your coding and files.

Everything's organized and cleaned up and arranged in a way you don't have to think too much where x thing goes and whatnot when making a new char.

This game is also pretty much the only one to ever implement stun damage and guard gauge damage correctly and as it should work (I'll never get tired of repeating these things :P) besides a fully functional pause menu that doesn't break your game or changestates, a custom roundstate system that lets me do whatever the hell I want (I could add LIVES to characters if I ever wanted, like in Darkstalkers, or make it so a boss revives after being defeated for an extra challenge) + many more fixes to mugen oversights and current limitations so this game being fully uncompressed is a must for me.
#567  May 13, 2013, 10:09:33 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
I really, really want to read all those things you mention. ;)
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#568  May 22, 2013, 01:15:51 am
    • USA

welp, I tried :(

Guess I'll go back to stage making, I'm almost done with the third round of the garden stage, and by almost done I mean "I really hate ripping this stage and I hope I never need to do something like this again".
#569  May 22, 2013, 08:47:41 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Good to see your back ReDnavi and looking forward to learning a better code method. Peace.
#570  May 22, 2013, 04:19:50 pm
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net

welp, I tried :(

Guess I'll go back to stage making, I'm almost done with the third round of the garden stage, and by almost done I mean "I really hate ripping this stage and I hope I never need to do something like this again".

thats the bad side about using localcord on chars , everything gets resized , including the custom bars
can i ask what localcord did you used ?
#571  May 25, 2013, 11:06:09 am
    • USA
just passing by to say that today I will upload a video showcasing the current stages, their features and the completely redesigned HUD (Old one is available as an extra, It's labelled as "Proto HUD" while the new one is going to be called "Neo HUD") and I'll answer some questions.
#572  May 25, 2013, 04:12:04 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Cool to hear man and really looking forward to trying out your best works.
#573  June 01, 2013, 10:45:08 am
    • USA

I forgot to mention that in Argentina "today" means "several days later" :P

Man, I forgot how cool my guard crush FX looked like in motion, considering how old it is (It's even older than KOF XII ffs). Well, mission mode is done but I think I'm gonna include a ranking system for teh lulz (Total time gets displayed when you finish it). I don't feel like giving any prizes for an S rank though since it's just a beta.

Anyway, lifebars are done and the only stage left to do is Hong Kong at night (Yes, that stage with a crowded street is located in Hong Kong as detailed in KOF 99 Evolution).

After that I must finish a new main menu, a character select screen and probably loading screens for before the fights (Player 2 will most likely decide them with some cool artwork and stupid filters here and there). VS screen during stage intro will most likely be removed and instead just showcase the stage for a bit before character intros.

For the Neo HUD, the cancel drive slots fill in a different way, you're always filling the biggest one, and when you complete it, it moves to the rightmost tiny slot and you start to fill the big one again (Leftmost for P2 of course). Unlike the Proto HUD, the Neo one lacks any animation for powergauges and its colors so it's less shiny overall (I may add some electricity for when you're LV3 though).

The main reason why I decided to create this new set is because the old one was mostly dark grey and it blended way too much with stages (A LOT more in the stage showcased here), While analyzing the KOF stages I noticed a pattern, most if not all of the KOF HUDs are actually mostly white! That's how they avoided such problem so I just took their example and tweaked my own, pretty simple. There are also some slight changes to axis and position of elements but that can't be noticed unless you compare both gauges.

I'll see if I can record some actual VS matches today with some friends.