YesNoOk

Project Catch 'Em All (Read 752021 times)

Started by Ryon, September 12, 2013, 02:52:20 am
Share this topic:
Re: Project Catch 'Em All
#21  September 12, 2013, 06:21:49 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
As you always you deliver an awesome work here bro. Nice job.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#22  September 12, 2013, 06:24:17 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
This is fantastic! Love how you have set everything up.
#23  September 12, 2013, 06:42:05 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I love the mechanics of this game, this is awesome guys!
There are mechanics I feel that are too "generic" for a game like this (wall bounce and the hit counter to name a few) but overall this game is amazing.
Do you guys plan on adding an affinity system of some sort?  IE: Fire > Water, etc?

This definitely has potential to be one of the better things released within the community.
I can't wait to see future updates from you guys!  :sugoi:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Thanks! To be honest, without the wall bounce, it felt too flat in terms of animation. Since hit frames are pretty much a single frame, I did all I could to liven things up, using code. :)
Yes, I do have plans to make an affinity system. Each move will have it's own affinity, as well as a base affinity per character.

The first update is going to have the affinity system. I actually wanted to put it in this beta, but I got held up with other things.
Yeah, Scyther is OP. I've been able to take down Mewtwo with him, but Mewtwo always punishes me as Skarmory. It's all about timing. XD

Posted: September 12, 2013, 06:42:50 pm
This is fantastic! Love how you have set everything up.

Thanks! We plan on making it a lot better too. :)

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#24  September 12, 2013, 09:54:29 pm
Excellent game project you guys. The system is really original and it's simple to use.

Are you guys also planning to have a few combination attacks?

Let's say you use Bubble Beam and when it's performing you combine it with another move or use it as a combo move.

You know it was like that in Pokemon for being more effective. Trainer says something like: "Use bubble beam...! and now use tackle!"
#25  September 12, 2013, 11:20:29 pm
  • "The Future is Now"
no we don't plan on that.

combo moves were never a thing in pokemon anyways. at least ... when i was watching (nothing past johto for me thanks)
#26  September 13, 2013, 12:06:54 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Skarmory feels too safe. He can easily launch out his attacks, recharge time seems pretty fast, and fly's a pain to deal with, I used quick attack with Quilava to avoid it but by the time I came back he pretty much got his turn again and continued.
#27  September 13, 2013, 12:13:22 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
The thing with Fly is that if you interrupt him, he's got a huge recovery time deal with afterwards.

Posted: September 13, 2013, 12:14:31 am
Excellent game project you guys. The system is really original and it's simple to use.

Are you guys also planning to have a few combination attacks?

Let's say you use Bubble Beam and when it's performing you combine it with another move or use it as a combo move.

You know it was like that in Pokemon for being more effective. Trainer says something like: "Use bubble beam...! and now use tackle!"

Nope. We're not going to do combination attacks. This was based off of the games, not so much the anime.

#28  September 13, 2013, 05:19:59 am
this is so good that I played through and beat mewtwo with each pokemon.  I did notice one flaw though so I unlocked mewtwo just to make sure and here's what I noticed.  quilava is so small that mewtwo's psycho cut and aero sphere wont hit him. this was disappointing when actually fighting his ai as a boss since those two are his most frequent attacks out of the four

Skarmory feels too safe. He can easily launch out his attacks, recharge time seems pretty fast, and fly's a pain to deal with, I used quick attack with Quilava to avoid it but by the time I came back he pretty much got his turn again and continued.

yeah I had the same problem so I switched over to sandslash and timed his dig attacks so he would dodge and attack right when he went back to his trainer
#29  September 13, 2013, 11:39:35 am
  • "The Future is Now"
@ ferretshadow

Yeah he literally dodges alot of attacks. We'll try to figure out something regarding attacks missing quilava.

and Yeah Dig vs. Fly, is hella interesting. Im glad you found a way to beat it.
#30  September 13, 2013, 11:43:52 am
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
Damn Alexei,

You sure got some interesting stuff going on. This is quite a creative take on mugen and pokemon too, I hope you guys stay with this until the end and don't leave it unfinished due to no motivation (which happens quite often in mugen).

Good luck :D
#31  September 13, 2013, 12:35:51 pm
Yeah motivation is highly needed. İ hope we'll see the final release aswell as they mentioned that they already have a template ready so it shouldn't be hard to get more Characters done really.

Also Ryon and Alexei, wich Characters are in development now?
#32  September 13, 2013, 02:21:14 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
this is so good that I played through and beat mewtwo with each pokemon.  I did notice one flaw though so I unlocked mewtwo just to make sure and here's what I noticed.  quilava is so small that mewtwo's psycho cut and aero sphere wont hit him. this was disappointing when actually fighting his ai as a boss since those two are his most frequent attacks out of the four

yeah I had the same problem so I switched over to sandslash and timed his dig attacks so he would dodge and attack right when he went back to his trainer
That's really awesome to hear. :D. As you may (or may not) know, I don't take feedback lightly. I respect it and will push Ryon and myself to do the best we can. :)

Damn Alexei,

You sure got some interesting stuff going on. This is quite a creative take on mugen and pokemon too, I hope you guys stay with this until the end and don't leave it unfinished due to no motivation (which happens quite often in mugen).

Good luck :D
I give all credit to Ryon for coming up with the idea. It was an amazing idea that needed to come to life. That's why I'm here. :) Well, we both have full time jobs and lives of our own to deal with, but we're in contact all the time and are tracking progress as we go. Motivation is always a tough thing, especially when you have two full games to handle (the other being NZCR for me. :P)

Yeah motivation is highly needed. İ hope we'll see the final release aswell as they mentioned that they already have a template ready so it shouldn't be hard to get more Characters done really.

Also Ryon and Alexei, wich Characters are in development now?
Yep, a template is in place. To be honest, I normally just take one of my other characters and start ripping them apart and recoding the attacks. The main system is in common1.cns, so all game mechanics are global from the get-go. :)

Last night, Ryon and I decided that we were going to make Pikachu (me) and Beedrill (Ryon), next. There's some thought put into which characters should go in this game. I want each character to have their own pros and cons and to keep things as balanced as possible. We're trying to keep true to the Pokemon games' moves as well. For example, Air Slash (Skarmory) has a 30% chance to make the enemy flinch. That translates to the enemy being knocked down and their ATB bar being reset.

#33  September 13, 2013, 02:48:14 pm
While I was doing Arcade (in the first match) this happened:

Sandslash (CPU controlled opponent) stood still there. I could attack him until he was defeated. Notice the full ATB bar.
I'm sorry I don't have other infos as I wasn't testing it properly.

Also this:
Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:54:51 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#34  September 13, 2013, 08:34:19 pm
yeh i got that glitch aswell anyways you have sandslash, so far in the game only missing charizard and zapdos and you got all my favoritts :P i do think charizard will find his way in (i hope so atleast) but i dont expect zapdos since i for some reason cant think of how you are going to do that but then again you did well with skarmory so :p i guess the possibility isn't totaly out the window good luck though love it so far
#35  September 13, 2013, 08:51:32 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
This suggestion is a bit extreme but have you considered adding a switch system (Ability to change between multiple Pokemon in mid-battle)?
The MvC tag system, which was made a while back, would do wonders within this game IMO.
#36  September 14, 2013, 12:19:36 am
    • USA
    • raptorkou@gmail.com
I made this Pokemon Mashup loop a while back.
It's Pokemon World and Killin' It by Krewella. Might make some good temp select music if you're lookin' for some, i'll send you the MP3 or whatever.

http://raptorkou.tumblr.com/post/60125169054/this-is-by-far-the-greatest-thing-ive-ever
Alternatively, if you want anything custom, feel free to ask.

Oh yeah. Also. I'm diggin' this project. The animations are crisp, too. I'd love helping with the backgrounds or something too if you need any help.
Loving this so far!
#37  September 14, 2013, 12:24:09 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
This suggestion is a bit extreme but have you considered adding a switch system (Ability to change between multiple Pokemon in mid-battle)?
The MvC tag system, which was made a while back, would do wonders within this game IMO.

While it's a great idea, I'm not sure how I'd even make that possible cleanly. The selection process would have to be before the fight starts and could easily be skipped by pressing some key like "a" or "b."

While I was doing Arcade (in the first match) this happened:

Sandslash (CPU controlled opponent) stood still there. I could attack him until he was defeated. Notice the full ATB bar.
I'm sorry I don't have other infos as I wasn't testing it properly.

Also this:

As far as the second screen goes, we know about that. It's not really a glitch per se. It's just that the stage graphics haven't been made to fill the screen because the lifebars usually cover that area. It'll be addressed in the next update. As for the first screen, you used Dig when that happened?

yeh i got that glitch aswell anyways you have sandslash, so far in the game only missing charizard and zapdos and you got all my favoritts :P i do think charizard will find his way in (i hope so atleast) but i dont expect zapdos since i for some reason cant think of how you are going to do that but then again you did well with skarmory so :p i guess the possibility isn't totaly out the window good luck though love it so far
Charizard will be made eventually. As for Zapados... no sprites have been made for him yet. Yeah, but Skarmory had sprites. That's the only thing keeping us from making him. Thanks, appreciate the support. :)

I made this Pokemon Mashup loop a while back.
It's Pokemon World and Killin' It by Krewella. Might make some good temp select music if you're lookin' for some, i'll send you the MP3 or whatever.

http://raptorkou.tumblr.com/post/60125169054/this-is-by-far-the-greatest-thing-ive-ever
Alternatively, if you want anything custom, feel free to ask.

Oh yeah. Also. I'm diggin' this project. The animations are crisp, too. I'd love helping with the backgrounds or something too if you need any help.
Loving this so far!
Personally, that's not my style of music. I need metal and rock to live on. Electronic music just is annoying to me. But, to each his own.
Regardless of my tastes, I think you did a really good job on that. Maybe Ryon has some different opinions?

Thanks. Joshr is an amazing spriter. Sadly, I don't think he's accepting requests, so we've got as much as anyone else would to work with. If only I could sprite well. :P

#38  September 14, 2013, 01:11:41 am
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
holy fuck, this is very cool...and i don't like pokemon so that says a lot!
great work, guys!
#39  September 14, 2013, 02:02:41 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Thanks man. :)

#40  September 14, 2013, 03:31:09 am
  • "The Future is Now"
First post is updated with the Developer Reference guide, written up by alexei.

Consider that guidelines to making a character for the game.
Please follow the instructions accordingly.