YesNoOk

MvC Sprite Edits (Read 36934 times)

Started by Graphicus, September 02, 2013, 06:07:56 am
MvC Sprite Edits
#1  September 02, 2013, 06:07:56 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Nothing too interesting... just wanted to see what both of these could potentially look like so I figured I'd edit them myself...

MvC3 Wolverine

MvC1/2 Non-"Iron Man swapped" War Machine based on the in-game artwork (that actually WAS war-machine).

MvC3 stance for 2D Iron Man (old stance visible next to it):

These are not projects, just sheer curiosity on my part. I'm posting them in case you find them interesting or something :P

You're welcome to give me some crits if you want (I always welcome feedback) but again, nothing tangible is going to come out of this anyway (other than self-improvement on my end, maybe :P)

If you have suggestions for any sprites that can be updated/fixed, let me know... these are fun to do.
Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:44:12 pm by Graphicus
Re: MvC Sprite Edits
#2  September 02, 2013, 06:29:07 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
I like them, especially War Machine

#3  September 02, 2013, 06:47:33 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
War Machine edit actually looks much nicer than the original. :)
It's such a shame that Capcom got lazy and made him just a color swap of Iron Man with slightly modified moves. A new design would have looked better for him IMO. :P

But yea, nice work. :)

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#4  September 02, 2013, 07:10:57 am
    • Argentina
The funny thing is that all the portraits and artwork WERE changed... it's only the sprites they left untouched... so the portraits didn't actually match the sprites they were representing, which actually makes it worse in a way :P

My understanding is that they wanted to actually put Iron Man in the original MvC since he's the title character of the comic book, but Activision had exclusive rights to the license during the time between MSH and MvC2. It was Marvel's idea to use War Machine instead as the closest replacement Capcom could use for Iron Man.

My War Machine edit is supposed to address exactly that problem... I didn't just pick ANY War Machine design... I copied the one from the portraits and artwork in both of the games in which he appeared.
#5  September 03, 2013, 07:41:35 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Those deserve to be made.

DW

#6  September 03, 2013, 08:10:53 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
The funny thing is that all the portraits and artwork WERE changed... it's only the sprites they left untouched... so the portraits didn't actually match the sprites they were representing, which actually makes it worse in a way :P

My understanding is that they wanted to actually put Iron Man in the original MvC since he's the title character of the comic book, but Activision had exclusive rights to the license during the time between MSH and MvC2. It was Marvel's idea to use War Machine instead as the closest replacement Capcom could use for Iron Man.

My War Machine edit is supposed to address exactly that problem... I didn't just pick ANY War Machine design... I copied the one from the portraits and artwork in both of the games in which he appeared.

Hmm... That's an interesting story. While that may be the case, a color swap of Iron Man and labeling it War Machine was still pretty lazy. Yeah, it may have taken a bit longer to add the extra details to him, but the core basis was still there with the Iron Man sprites. That does look really good. Nice job.
#7  September 06, 2013, 09:33:38 pm
    • Mexico
http://armentis.deviantart.com/ http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=133017.0
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#8  September 06, 2013, 09:44:33 pm
    • keroroseed00@hotmail.fr
war machine ( *__*) gooooooooooooood <3
#9  September 07, 2013, 09:38:57 am
    • Argentina
graphicus I think this is the same idea , I know  is more like iron man but have his differences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVK88JTDMY

That's pretty awesome!

Again, mine are all supposed to be edits based on the official games/artwork. I don't usually do custom changes. Think something along the lines of "What if CAPCOM had had the time to edit the War Machine sprites?" or "What if MvC3 was still 2D?". Pretty much that.

war machine ( *__*) gooooooooooooood <3

Haha, glad you like it :D

#10  September 07, 2013, 04:11:45 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice love warmachine
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#11  September 07, 2013, 04:17:05 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
You do a full sprite sheet of that War Machine and I'll let you shit on my chest.

Okay not really but it would be pretty awesome and somebody would inevitably want to code it.
#12  September 21, 2013, 05:21:57 pm
    • Argentina
Current WIP:

This is the conversation that went through in my head:

- What would someone need if they wanted to make an MvC3 Iron Man in MUGEN?
- Resprite every frame in his 2D sheet to match the new armor?
- Hell no! He has the exact same moveset, just a different armor!
- Ok, well... his stance is different. He's no longer hunching.
- Wouldn't it be easier to just sprite that stance in his old armor then?
- Well, sure... you lazy #$@*!.
- What was that?
- Nothing! Don't forget to sprite his ultra move too. That's also new.
- Yeah... not happening. It's a stupid ultra move... Why is the beam from his chest stronger than his Proton Cannon? I mean, if that's the case... why the #$@* does he even have a Proton Cannon then?
- You suck.
- #$@* you too, buddy.

So, after I took my medication and stopped hearing voices in my head, I decided to just do an MvC3 stance using his 2D design. Some of the proportions are off (left shoulder, mostly), but I plan to fix those during the coloring process.
Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:47:32 pm by Graphicus
#13  September 21, 2013, 05:39:07 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
wish you luck really waiting for this for koldskool ironman
good luck bro
#14  September 21, 2013, 05:45:25 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
man this is awesome, good luck with it ^^
#15  September 21, 2013, 06:25:18 pm
    • USA
I love you Graphicus
#16  September 21, 2013, 06:42:39 pm
    • Argentina
All done!

It says "Edited...", but technically I drew everything from scratch except the head and looked at other sprites to ensure that the shading looked legit.

Process: I took a screenshot of MvC3, then resized it, streched it horizontally (this Iron Man is a bit chubbier than the sleek MvC3 one) then drew over it. I had to make the arms more muscular and longer to match the 2D sprites.

EDIT: Love you too, buddy! :D
Sorry that I haven´t made much progress with your request :P
Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:46:26 pm by Graphicus

Zox

#17  September 21, 2013, 07:17:41 pm
    • simonblmnt@hotmail.com
#18  September 21, 2013, 09:02:49 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
wow i have to say it was pretty fast and it look very good cant wait to see more iron man really deserve it good luck
#19  September 21, 2013, 09:14:59 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio

#20  September 21, 2013, 10:22:34 pm
    • USA
Dont worry it's fine! There's no rush for the animation. That Iron Man sprite looks really official. Nice work!