YesNoOk

Mugen Character Funding  (Read 22413 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, November 13, 2013, 09:09:38 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen Character Funding
#41  November 14, 2013, 01:41:28 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#42  November 14, 2013, 01:58:45 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
I don't see why he's so popular, Yoshimitsu and King are a lot better

#43  November 14, 2013, 02:03:23 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
That's your opinion that nobody cares about, just like how I think Miguel is the shit but nobody cares about that

When it comes to things of opinion like this all that matters in the end is that there is more of them than us
#44  November 14, 2013, 02:09:29 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
I would think Bryan would be cool cause there isn´t sprites of him anyways (plus the only Tekken characters nicely done are Jin and Kazuya) but that´s just me.
Chilling
Re: Maybe something like a donation pool?
#45  November 14, 2013, 02:11:18 am
#46  November 14, 2013, 02:32:55 am
Considering it will probably take a little while for this to take off, I'd be down to throw some money towards any of the remaining characters from my poll.  Brock, Jason, Spike, Link, and Rocket Raccoon* in particular.

Maybe the 1st post could be updated with the potential characters and who/how much would be pledged toward their creation.  I would like to see some spriters have a say in this thread before any money gets thrown around though.

Spoiler: (click to see content)
#47  November 14, 2013, 02:34:29 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Yeah this is just brainstorming and tossing a few ideas at the moment
#48  November 14, 2013, 02:49:46 am
I still can't grasp why this topic was made.

Also, I don't get the Bryan hype either. Atleast Spike made sense.
#49  November 14, 2013, 03:16:23 am
Yeah this is just brainstorming and tossing a few ideas at the moment

I know, it's just that there was already talk of sending money to a middle man (not judging, just sayin!) without any spriters even having a say yet.
#50  November 14, 2013, 03:58:29 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
I still can't grasp why this topic was made.

Also, I don't get the Bryan hype either. Atleast Spike made sense.

it was made cause most of us are annoyed batman won. I love batman truly but theres decent versions out..

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
Re: Maybe something like a donation pool?
#51  November 14, 2013, 07:12:51 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I really see no need for a financial middleman. Spriters can handle looking at their PayPal and updating a current donation amount. The only thing required is something to organize this kind of thing; no need for anyone to handle the money. As previously mentioned, a CotM nomination type deal would work well in this thread; and the results could be collected in the first post and stuff.

I would pay part for Brock, most definitely. That Swedish Murder Machine deserves representation. And I would love to code him!

^That's for Mature though mind you. I'm don't really want to do anything for Mature.
Get out.

@JM really? is there something special about Mature with CVS looking sprites and gameplay? And are you not one of the guys who could create the character by yourself ?
I want to code Mature, and for her sprites to match up with my Vice. I cannot sprite. That's pretty much it.
#52  November 14, 2013, 07:23:09 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Jegus Chris, people. It's not that hard to save up $200. When I commissioned Sean for Bob Hoskins Mario, I set aside roughly $20 every week for about 10 weeks. Keep in mind that at the time I did this, my job was shit and I was making maybe a few bucks an hour over the state's minimum wage, and I still had living expenses to take care of, but I was able to eventually pull it off and now I have a bunch of BHM sprites sitting on my Hard Drive that I have to take a crack at when I finish my shitloads of other WIPs (yes I'm still working on Pupa, as well as a few surprises).

The idea of GBK trying to organize people to donate toward a project screams of nothing but ego. He doesn't want to do something for the good of the community, he simply wants a project that he can attach his name to and take credit for. He hasn't even consulted Seanaltly about this at all in the process, so all this project is trying to do is pressure, nay, coerce Sean into pulling him away from his own project to make something that he may not be interested in (in comparison, Sean's a big fan of the Super Mario Bros movie and ended up brainstorming most of the movelist on his own :o ).

In the end, this thread manages to do nothing but cheapen Sean's value as a human being, effectively turning him into a vending machine that spits out characters if you put money in it, and GBK should be ashamed of himself for that fact.
Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:31:46 am by Imposter Owen Wilson
#53  November 14, 2013, 07:38:40 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
If it would be only 2,3 or maybe 4 people and everyone of them donates as example 50 dollars to the spriter, no middleman would be needed indeed.

My idea was more based on the "small fishes can be a big swarm" idea though, the same thing we see having success every week on kickstarter.

The idea was based on the 21 voters for Bryan Fury and dividing the costs of "as example" 500 dollars for something good through 10, 20 or even 50 people if there would be so many mfg members interested to fund a character.

20 or 30 people can still just send their 5 or 10 bucks to the spriter directly, but in the long run..organizing is really easier through one single paypal account.

@Jango As always you are so very right with your assumptions About me and what i do, oh man i feel soo ashamed for bringing up the idea of crowdfunding Mugen characters. But why are you mentioning Sean so often when nobody else did?

The idea would be to get a list together of spriters who are interested to take commissions.

#54  November 14, 2013, 07:43:10 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
20 or 30 people can still just send their 5 or 10 bucks to the spriter directly, but in the long run..organizing is really easier through one single paypal account.
But it would still go to a single PayPal account; the spriter's, without a middleman?
#55  November 14, 2013, 07:57:44 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
If it would be only 2,3 or maybe 4 people and everyone of them donates as example 50 dollars to the spriter, no middleman would be needed indeed.
No middleman is needed at all. This can be easily accomplished by, as has been stated before, getting a willing spriter who is up to the task of spriting anything (good luck finding one of those) and donating directly into his account. Your involvement serves no purpose.

The idea was based on the 21 voters for Bryan Fury and dividing the costs of "as example" 500 dollars for something good through 10, 20 or even 50 people if there would be so many mfg members interested to fund a character.
And as has been state in the thread already, there wasn't some big upset that prevent Bryan Fury from winning. You know, some people accept that their favorite didn't win, shrug, and move on with their life. You, on the other hand, make a thread trying DESPERATELY to get it made.

And again, that paypal account should be the spriter's paypal account.

As always you are so very right with your assumptions About me and what i do, oh man i feel soo ashamed for bringing up the idea of crowdfunding Mugen characters. But why are you mentioning Sean so often when nobody else did?
Because... You started this thread in response to a Seanaltly poll not ending up in your favor? Not to mention in an earlier post, you mention that the holy trifecta of people involved in this project would be:

1) The Donators
2) The Spriters
3) YOU

Nowhere did you mention a coder, so if you were counting on the spriter to code as well, that narrows down the field quite a lot to, well, pretty much Sean.

The idea would be to get a list together of spriters who are interested to take commissions.
See the problem is that most of Guild's commission spriters are already heavily occupied. You would have to be ridiculously lucky to get one guy who is willing to sprite a full character that he may or may not like, and have to share equal credits with a dude who did nothing but tell OTHER PEOPLE to cough up $5. Did you even plan ahead who is even going to code this thing? Hell I can't think of anyone in the MUGEN community who is willing to have some guy with an over-inflated ego dump a bunch of sprites on him and say "here make a character out of this," no matter how much money you throw at him.

Spoiler: Otaku nitpicking (click to see content)
#56  November 14, 2013, 09:32:30 am
Who cares about Bryan? I thought Nina or Kazuya was popular than Bryan. That's why Kazuya has been more than any other chars.
I know that Jin is popular, but i don't mind after all.
#57  November 14, 2013, 09:34:41 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I suggest that Jango will be the middleman or mantainer of any crowdfunding.

He is a very intelligent and reasonable person and clearly knows everything better than anyone else.

I am out of this thread and the idea.

ps: coders were mentioned by me on this very thread page, dumbass.
#58  November 14, 2013, 10:32:28 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Everyone send me your money and I will personally go to Seanaltly's house and wop my wad of paypal cash in his face like Harry Enfield.

GBK, you mentioned coders like once (on page 2), and then went right back to talking about spriters and ignoring coders. This just goes to show that you can't keep your story straight and think that the coding is inconsequential. You can't even counter my accusations and resort to ad hominem and leaving the thread in a huff. I think it's safe to say that your posts alone basically showed any potential donators not to trust you has a "middle-man" (which as has been said is a waste of time since we can just donate to the spriters themselves and not have to funnel it through you).

Cheers.
#59  November 14, 2013, 02:51:17 pm
wow jango you made gbk quit the crowdfunding business. who will we send the money to now (so that person can then send it to the spriter). fucking asshole
#60  November 14, 2013, 04:03:21 pm
  • SNK is life
To be honest, it was a pretty interesting exchange of ideas until Jango came hounding on GBK.

It's sad to see this thread derailed.