YesNoOk

Mugen Character Funding  (Read 22458 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, November 13, 2013, 09:09:38 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen Character Funding
#81  November 15, 2013, 03:15:24 am
and you honestly think Mature would have an equal amount of funding than a completely original sprited non-previously released character ?
honestly, no, because mature would borrow heavily from cvs vice, so she would require less work, and would therefore require less funding. having said that, most people would rather fund something they're familiar with instead of an original character. you'd have to be crazy to think it's the other way around
#82  November 15, 2013, 03:26:32 am
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
guess i'm crazy

and i wasn't making the Mature funding comparison based on required sprite work, but more on the novelty of having something completely new (fresh) versus something having strong similarities to content already done in the past: when there's a new version released of a known character, most of the time people tend to focus on the gameplay of said new character (compared to previous ones)...a completely original sprited character will draw extra attention first because of the sprites, imo, which is the focus of the funding idea

but yeah, guess i'm biased on the subject because personal taste
#83  November 15, 2013, 03:31:22 am
  • For honor!
People prefer familiar characters mainly because there's more assurance that something they will like will come out of it. It's not just this way with MUGEN, it's pretty much reality.
Iroha stripped for me

DW

#84  November 15, 2013, 03:45:18 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
OK, so who is interested in donating some money for CvS Mature? No need to reach an amount or anything, just want to see the level of interest and stuff, because there is  (a spriter) interest, interest on a volunteer basis.

But c'mon this deserves money! Let's show support!!!

Meh... While I do like Mature, I don't like her that much. Though, it's something you really want and that alone would have me pitch in. So, sure I'd pitch in like 10-15 dollars. Although in contrast...what's up with this...?

CVS Mature
She needs what, four more sprites to make a complete character?  I'd understand someone paying to spritepack a whole new character, but unless I'm mistaken Mature only needs that one spin move, everything else has already been done for like ages.  This doesn't need money as much as it just needs one spriter with one spare afternoon to pull their finger out.

If what he says is true, then you actually wouldn't have to raise up much. While it may not need money, it's looks as if no one is really willing to put their free time into it. If that be the case, money can help seal the deal. Either way, yeah JMM, I'll pitch in.
#85  November 15, 2013, 05:23:45 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
That was like the most brutally passive aggressive post I've seen in awhile haha
It's very important to be as douchey and passive aggressive as possible, when confronted by someone trying to rouse up interest in a character you do not like.

She needs what, four more sprites to make a complete character?  I'd understand someone paying to spritepack a whole new character, but unless I'm mistaken Mature only needs that one spin move, everything else has already been done for like ages.  This doesn't need money as much as it just needs one spriter with one spare afternoon to pull their finger out.
You're mistaken; the "CvS Mature" sprite sheet out there is pretty awful, just a bunch of Vice sprites with one, unchanging head of Mature pasted on top of each sprite. The result is... off-putting, to say the least. It looks really bad and doesn't have any of Mature's moves, and since she's not just a Ryu/Ken straight headswap but only shares gethits and a few normals with Vice, it means she's missing most everything. There was also a CvS Mature character made using that sheet, and the Mature moves used KoF sprites. Which was pretty damn weird and bad looking.

But I want to reiterate that this whole thing is optional; there's interest in doing Mature, for free. I just figured, why not try out this whole crowdfunding thing in this thread, on a small scale, and also because the spriter deserves some money for all that work!
#86  November 15, 2013, 05:41:31 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
#87  November 15, 2013, 05:47:50 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
That was like the most brutally passive aggressive post I've seen in awhile haha
It's very important to be as douchey and passive aggressive as possible, when confronted by someone trying to rouse up interest in a character you do not like.

You're mistaken; the "CvS Mature" sprite sheet out there is pretty awful, just a bunch of Vice sprites with one, unchanging head of Mature pasted on top of each sprite. The result is... off-putting, to say the least. It looks really bad and doesn't have any of Mature's moves, and since she's not just a Ryu/Ken straight headswap but only shares gethits and a few normals with Vice, it means she's missing most everything. There was also a CvS Mature character made using that sheet, and the Mature moves used KoF sprites. Which was pretty damn weird and bad looking.

But I want to reiterate that this whole thing is optional; there's interest in doing Mature, for free. I just figured, why not try out this whole crowdfunding thing in this thread, on a small scale, and also because the spriter deserves some money for all that work!
you are doing right, you are showing there is already a coder willing to go for mature. now what's wrong with felo's hint of alt outfirt mature. I ahve this bad feeling that he meant kof style sprites, but if it's cvs style and goes for a reasonable price is it ok for you ? we should also seesome sprites of what the guy has already done
#88  November 15, 2013, 05:52:47 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Spoiler: I don't know why I'm spoiling this, nor why I was being so damn coy about the whole thing (click to see content)
#89  November 15, 2013, 12:01:35 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
im always down to donate for great characters....i get paid tomorrow too! XD! its time I start giving back. :)
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#90  November 15, 2013, 02:56:09 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
While I agree that this is an interesting discussion (passive aggressive pie slinging aside), it does seem more than a little backwards to have any money change hands before anyone has offered to actually do the work. I don't think GBK has any ulterior motive,  but let's not put the carriage before the horse here. I think it's been made clear that there is merit to the idea, but I think that's about as far as the conversation can go without an interested artist being part of it. Of course I don't think it should be up to the artist to fish for donations exactly, but I think it makes sense to move the discussion into more concrete territory, ie gathering interest/people/money for a specific project and a specific artist.

My 2 cents anyway.
#91  November 15, 2013, 03:50:58 pm
Hm... You know, that sounds like what was done in the Sprite projects section, extension request topic. So, here's a suggestion.
If someone is interested in a character, he creates a topic. Then people who are interested come in and say they'd pitch in. And then when there's enough people, the guy who started the topic (for example) starts looking for a spriter who would be interested -- or maybe if a spriter is already interested, he can post directly in the topic. And then the people in the thread do their donation.
A spriter could also create a topic by himself saying he'd be willing to sprite this character if enough people can join.
Rinse and repeat everytime someone comes up with a new character.

Obviously this presents a giant risk of many people just starting a new topic for whatever character they think of, and no one joining in, not to mention the risk of having thousands of requests for just a few spriters willing to do it... But if this "donation pool" is going to become a thing, that seems to be the most straightforward option I can think of, especially considering it's modeled after something we already do in another place.

This could go to the Sprite projects section, with topics being created with a "[Commission pool]" tag in the title, and there could be a single topic summing up the pools waiting for people and the pools already big enough to be looking for a spriter... That summary topic should probably include a list of spriters who are generally willing to go for this kind of projects, and specify if the person is available at the moment, so we'd know to cool down with suggestion storms when no one is free...
In other words, that much more work for moderation. But that's the most viable way I see it happening.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:58:52 pm by DKDC
#92  November 15, 2013, 06:37:35 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Hm... You know, that sounds like what was done in the Sprite projects section, extension request topic. So, here's a suggestion.
If someone is interested in a character, he creates a topic. Then people who are interested come in and say they'd pitch in. And then when there's enough people, the guy who started the topic (for example) starts looking for a spriter who would be interested -- or maybe if a spriter is already interested, he can post directly in the topic. And then the people in the thread do their donation.
A spriter could also create a topic by himself saying he'd be willing to sprite this character if enough people can join.
Rinse and repeat everytime someone comes up with a new character.

Obviously this presents a giant risk of many people just starting a new topic for whatever character they think of, and no one joining in, not to mention the risk of having thousands of requests for just a few spriters willing to do it... But if this "donation pool" is going to become a thing, that seems to be the most straightforward option I can think of, especially considering it's modeled after something we already do in another place.

This could go to the Sprite projects section, with topics being created with a "[Commission pool]" tag in the title, and there could be a single topic summing up the pools waiting for people and the pools already big enough to be looking for a spriter... That summary topic should probably include a list of spriters who are generally willing to go for this kind of projects, and specify if the person is available at the moment, so we'd know to cool down with suggestion storms when no one is free...
In other words, that much more work for moderation. But that's the most viable way I see it happening.

even if you have , lets say, 20 people wanting a character, and spriter A and spriter B show up both wanting the bounty , you never know if said 20 people would be okay with A or B, or even neither.

Hypothetically you can have 20 willing to do it and only 2 willing to pay  the specific spriter A.
theres a ton of implications that are based off good will and professionalism, and considering some things we have seen with comissions before even around here, you would soon get things like spriters that take the bounty and then lose interest or decide they want more money, or even spriters that start avoiding delivering  and then whine about the customers. 

Theres a ton on this whole thing that is based on good will between people and that has only been accchieved community wise with a couple of persons. Sean with his massive body of work and balth . Afaicr
#93  November 17, 2013, 01:45:22 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
so I came up with something (hopefully) alot of us would be willing to contribute for how about Darth vader? hed fit in the world universe and hes a cult character from our childhoods. mostly anyway. Anyone else up? Im willing to throw some money in if you guys are.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#94  November 17, 2013, 02:07:13 am
that's kind of moot if you don't know the required amount of money let alone a spriter willing to make him
#95  November 17, 2013, 02:13:22 am
  • I see you.
true I was trying to start from the base though if we could all agree on something we could put how much we are willing to all donate tally it up and then post a thread for it and see if a spriter wants to take it.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#96  November 17, 2013, 02:38:15 am
not everybody's going to agree on darth vader. not everybody's going to agree on anything, really. i would assume darth vader is popular enough to have several people funding the character. the order of action you suggest isn't practical, wouldn't it be better to talk with someone that might be willing to do it, get a clear amount on required money and then get things going
#97  November 17, 2013, 02:42:57 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Why does everyone even need to agree?  Why are we under the delusion that everyone is gonna come together and sing kumbaya and all of the spriters on MFG are gonna suddenly turn into human factories who shit out every single character everyone wants?  Ideally it should work like Seanaltly did Haggar where someone commissioned him to do a sprite, and because people wanted to see him make a full Haggar people who were interested got together and helped Garuda with the commission money.  Although I guess it's pretty cool that things like that guy commissioning him to do that Tenchu character happened, but a complete 100% consensus is not necessary if you have one or two people willing to part with money and a spriter interested in doing it.
#98  November 17, 2013, 03:33:57 am
  • I see you.
not everybody's going to agree on darth vader. not everybody's going to agree on anything, really. i would assume darth vader is popular enough to have several people funding the character. the order of action you suggest isn't practical, wouldn't it be better to talk with someone that might be willing to do it, get a clear amount on required money and then get things going

I suppose that does make some sense. I was just trying to suggest something alot of ppl might like?

#99  November 17, 2013, 09:49:50 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
^^ what pusha2 wrote.

I just can't stay silent, reading your posts. You guys don't have experience with funding something together. You talk about possible problems, about how important or not important it is that someone agrees or not. Let me give you guys another short wave of hints how it can be done.

Make one thread with the first post being for suggested characters someone funded already.
It could look like

Currently in the pot and available:
15 dollars by Germanbaraka sent on the 17th November - mentioned they can be used for any character
50 dollars by Iced, sent on the 17th November - mentioned they are only for KOF characters suggested by others
10 dollars by Tiltin sent on the 17th November - available for any characters commissioned to spriter baltseancvsfel666

Darth Vader - suggested by MFGUser666 and funded with 30 dollars to the Crowdfunding PayPal account on November 17
funded also by
mfguser456 with 20 dollars on November 18
mfguser209 with 70 dollars on november 20
looking for a spriter who is interested to create darth vader and can estimate how expensive the spriting would be

That example is not flawless and only possible if there would be a pool of spriters and - if needed - coders who are interested in taking such commissions. Also needed would be that the funding people are agreeing that a middleman does the talk with the artists. It would be like on a marketplace where the best offer gets the funding. The initial target of the crowdfuning would be to get characters or other mugen related developments done which would not be made in the foreseeable future without commissioning someone. They are not there to support someone who wanted to make character x anyway. they are commissioned work.

The benefit would be there to the whole mugen community which could get more characters based on new sprites, funded by the mugen community itself. I am sure there are a lot of coders here on mfg who would love to work on those characters and also people who could create the additional soundeffects, voices and what else is needed to develope a complete character.
#100  November 17, 2013, 10:26:46 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I've already explained why that doesn't work, and I don't feel like repeating it, so here's my response: Shut the fuck up.

Posted: November 17, 2013, 10:28:22 am
Also this
I am out of this thread and the idea.
You are terrible at keeping promises.