YesNoOk

Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: October COTM candidates!) (Read 81048 times)

Started by Umezono, January 10, 2014, 05:44:48 am
Share this topic:
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: Legendary Terry Bogard by Demonkai)
#41  January 15, 2014, 03:20:06 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: Legendary Terry Bogard by Demonkai)
#42  January 15, 2014, 06:04:48 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
@D:

D by D, The Red Cloak is an original character meant to be a sort of self-insert into MUGEN. As far as I can tell his stance and animations are for the most part entirely originally sprited, which is the first thing I jotted down in Notepad because I like such material. NVM he is a recolor of Toni from Shadow Fighter lol. He is of pretty small stature and his skin is grey and he wears similar clothes to Terry Bogard (his big portrait is in fact appears to be a recolor of Terry's NGPC pocket portrait, but I dunno, I am basing this assumption off this picture of bead art someone made. His small portrait is just a regular headshot image.) His spritework is pretty good but he uses some different, often clashy effects tho- his qcb + lp seems to resemble the effect of Ash Crimson's flash kick, while his qcb + mp uses a standard, transparent windy effect. He also appears to have left some kfm sprites in the sff as well as some weird palette differences on his gethits but I'm not sure if they show up ingame. Here are some examples of the effects I am talking about though:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Otherwise he seems to be fine, with the exception of his standing and crouching mk (as well as his run sprite), which are literally sprites ripped from Terry Bogard with the pallette matching:

I'm not sure if this is in here as a joke or anything, but he certainly does not seem like a joke character. If it is a joke, it's very meta and actually funny but I still think these two sprites look way out of place and mar the character's overall presentation. He has some cool intros, one of which has him flying down with bat wings and one where he surveys and compliments the stage before realizing there is a fight going on in surprise. He appears to utilize original voice acting for it which is nice though some sounds, particularly that intro are kind of low while his basic sounds which are completely different (and probably lifted off another char) are pretty high. The character himself is kind of interesting. He appears to have some pretty demonic themes and motifs but remains a very lighthearted character otherwise with a lot of different things going on, I am not exactly sure what D is really but he appears to be a humanoid demon of sorts based on these observations. For example, his HP focus has him charge up for a second before spikes come out of his back (they remind me of Morrigan.) So he does have some cool touches that allow me to praise the originality of D. Please covet this compliment, its worth a lot man. Here I have included a pic of D's standing HP focus:

WARNING: THIS SECTION IS LONG.

Now lets move on to gameplay. Honestly I think what hurts this character the most is its gameplay. He has cool things but I don't think his system is very fleshed out or practical. He is currently 5 button gameplay as he lacks an HK. In air, neither his HP or HK works. In the SFF I see some leftover stuff so I guess either these sprites were unused or never intended to be in (or dropped.) His standing HK which is the spikes, works like a focus attack. It takes a second to be charged than hits for about the same damage as your MP and causes a second of stun and then knockdown. Because of the pause I do not think it is possible to combo into, just like a real. The tradeoff is this move is AFAIK unblockable (from what I tested in arcade mode.) The stun is negligible, I can only get one extra hit in before the opponent falls so it is best to just use a super or his medium qcbs. In terms of being used as a focus attacks, I think it comes out too fast to really be balanced. Focus attacks usually take 3 years but this one only takes a short amount of time giving people way less time to react.

His gameplay also maps a different special to each button. His qcb + lp is called ectouppercut, with ash crimson fx that sends the opponent flying and wallbounces, however you cannot juggle off of it. So it also seems very useless in theory. His qcb + mk tornado punch is by far one of his most useful tools, it works like a corkscrew blow or one of Balrog's charge punches as he moves forward and hits you with it. It hits about 7 times so it boosts your combo counter and ego when you combo into it nicely. I got a nice 11 hit combo with it by c. lp > c. lp > c. lp > c. mp > tornado punch. This seems like a cool bnb though the damage really isnt great. You also have his two kick specials on qcf + lk and mk respectively, which both use the same tatsu animation. With his light variant you can actually briefly control the direction you go in, which is cool I guess, and a good way to catch a jump in or someone trying to cross or something.  His medium variant will have him hit you in one direction and end in a crack shoot. Both are pretty good and can be comboed into with correct timing. To top it off he has a qcb + p move that allows him to reflect projectiles, and holy shit does it reject projectiles back fast. Its cool but almost ridiculous in how fast it reverses. Overall his system goes from kinda broken to okay to pretty useless in terms of his uppercut. So he lacks some consistency overall.

Some other system notes: He can double jump simply by pressing u again at the apex of your jump. I'm not sure about how useful this is, though it allows him to escape easier from pressure with back jumps and you can also use a neutral jump to attempt to bait something. According to the readme, throws can be done with f + lp or mp but seem to be nonexistent which makes me sad cause a character without a throw is severely limited in options. As to his hitboxes there are a couple of questionable ones, particularly on his Terry standing MK and his crouching LP. The MK just looks weird and unnecessary, and the red on the c. LP seems too thin.

Finally let's talk supers. His qcbx2 + lp is "Demon Head" and it- dear god what the fuck is happening

For Demon Head, D pulls out the head of a demon and it breathes fire on you. The hitbox placement is horrendous. and absolutely batshit insane on hit. Depending on where it hits it will do different things: from close so it draws you in right next to D, hits you 132 times, and the clsn viewer looks like its actually barfing (from medium distance it will move the character slightly around, stop for a second, and move them more, hard to explain.) It looked normal albeit turrible when it wasnt hitting; here it is without hit confirm for comparison.

However, on hit the flame goes everywhere, including behind you, as it drags you in and the hitboxes contort around like a russian gymnast. This super is inexcusably shoddily coded, further dragging an interesting concept into the dirt and then spitting on it for good measure. There has to be a lot better ways to do this, I suggest someone try out Demon Head and give D some tips on how to better implement such a super. If you do it close it even flips the demon head so it can continue hitting you after you've passed it. So essentially D turns the head around and start spewing flames onto himself. Good thing he's a demon.... thing. His qcbx2 + K is "smashing pumpkins" and its hilarious, he does his tatsu and scores of pumpkins come flying out you for absolutely dino damage. I would screenshot but for some reason its extremely difficult to get this move to come out. I had to piano mash the input to get it to work. I'm not sure if this is yet again a problem with me. Try it for yourselves, its pretty self explanatory anyway. Damage is way too high especially considering it has the same power cost as Demon Head which does substantially lower (while hitting more lmfao). He has two other supers to look at, but I didn't have sufficient time to do em. At this point, however I think I have already listed sufficient flaws for D to look at.

To conclude, a noble effort and lots of great and unique ideas with a very off-kilter system. It is hurt by damage issues, the super safe focus and reflect, the wonky hitboxes and his demon head super which I think is terrible. Some of the sprites do seem very rough and I also dislike the use of Terry's sprites, even if they arent placeholders, as it make its seem very seem altogether very unfinished. It is helped by the nice spot of voice acting and the cool intros, some interesting tech and creative ideas. So at this point I am conflicted. I don't want the D, but I do not reject the D either. At this point I am very ambivalent about the D. Time will tell, with proper updates it could become really good.

Edit: Thanks to Melvana for pointing out this was not originally sprited but a recolor of Toni from Shadow Fighter. I would never have known that, shows how much I know :P

Download Link: http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/nightmare-christmas-release-marco-kaiser-knuckle-149388.0.html (scroll down to find D)

Presentation: 2.5/5

Sprites/Graphics: 2.5/5

Sounds: 3.5/5

Gameplay: 2.5/5

AI: 3/5

Overall: 2.8/5
Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:53:27 am by Umezono
#43  January 15, 2014, 06:06:32 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
"As far as I can tell his stance and animations are for the most part entirely originally sprited, which is the first thing I jotted down in Notepad because I like such material."

naw it's toni from shadow fighter actually
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: D by D, The Red Cloak)
#44  January 15, 2014, 06:10:35 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
AHA oh shit lol, I would not have known that. I'll update the review.
#45  January 15, 2014, 06:14:47 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
u know vemon's ankle hurt like a mother*****! LOL
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#46  January 15, 2014, 06:22:52 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#47  January 15, 2014, 06:41:36 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Being someone who does a lot of MUGEN AI streams, I can usually go on at length about AI, but I felt people didn't really want to hear about it. However, I still needed 5 different metrics for my reviews for my overall to work right, so I included AI anyways and kept my comments from none to a minimum. I would be down to replace the number but explain the AI in some detail within the review- if a better alternative can be named. Balance is probably something I would group in with gameplay, so I'm not too sure on that one.

Yea, I wouldn't use all the scores as an average to the overall score. Really sucks if a good character scores lower due to not as great graphics/sounds and a bad character score better because it has good graphics/sounds.
#48  January 15, 2014, 06:45:35 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
EDIT: shortened review (this is around 8 paragraphs vs. the usual 5) and added another picture to break up text.

Being someone who does a lot of MUGEN AI streams, I can usually go on at length about AI, but I felt people didn't really want to hear about it. However, I still needed 5 different metrics for my reviews for my overall to work right, so I included AI anyways and kept my comments from none to a minimum. I would be down to replace the number but explain the AI in some detail within the review- if a better alternative can be named. Balance is probably something I would group in with gameplay, so I'm not too sure on that one.

Yea, I wouldn't use all the scores as an average to the overall score. Really sucks if a good character scores lower due to not as great graphics/sounds and a bad character score better because it has good graphics/sounds.
Meh like Titiln said the number score isn't really that important. I just wanted an average score cause it's interesting, the score doesnt define the character. The reviews do, I put a lot of work into them.
#49  January 15, 2014, 06:47:36 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
layout looks much better...pictures was a good idea.
#50  January 15, 2014, 06:51:27 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#51  January 15, 2014, 06:53:42 am
  • Wherever theres chaos, I'll be there.
Thank you for pointing all those problems out. I've been waiting for this kind of feedback.

And I will point out a few things:

-It really wasn't meant to be a joke character, But I'm glad you got some joy from it.

-The reason you cannot juggle with the Ecto Uppercut is that when I first programmed it, you can use the uppercut over and over again for an infinite. I'll try to adjust it to allow juggling better.

-The Terry sprites are placeholders to show how the character moves, I'm waiting on Ness for the replacement sprites, but I haven't heard from him about those yet.

-In the Readme there is a -> to show that the move is under construction.

-Holy crap the Demon Head super is that bad? I'll need to work on that pronto!

-I'll lower the damage of the Smashing Pumpkins super.

-I'll do some adjustments on the Focus Attack.

-I'll slow down the Spirit Palm projectile.

-I'll try to add a throw.

-Yeah about the CLSN for the MK there wasn't a sprite that was a transition between the set up and the kick.

-I'll fix the punch CLSN.

-Yes that is my real voice for the voice work, and I used Yun Seong's voice clips from Soul Calibur 3 for the attack grunts, since I tried doing the attack grunts and I sounded terrible when I tried.

-The Redirection super is mostly used for the multi hitting Projectile and beam Supers. And I just got it finished.

Edit: -Oh I forgot, you didn't comment on the Slide Kick.

Again, thank you for the feedback, your the first person to ever comment on the character strangely. If anyone has any Ideas to help improve this, please respond and/or PM me.

And if you really want to know what he is... Well I'm not telling. :)
Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:01:22 am by D, The Red Cloak
#52  January 15, 2014, 06:58:30 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
^^ u are the true definition of "accepting feedback". :)
#53  January 15, 2014, 06:58:57 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
@D: Wow :o I'm so glad I could help you fix these issues, its what I am here to do haha. I am very impressed you actually took heed of this and I am proud I was able to help you fix some issues. Thank you for clarification on his redirection super, I removed my comments because I was making a rather rude assumption. I do feel like in a general MUGEN it would not be so useful as a tool, especially on char's with little to no superpause or other tells to indicate they are doing a beam super. But a cool idea nonetheless.
#54  January 15, 2014, 07:18:25 am
^^ u are the true definition of "accepting feedback". :)

Thank you for the sentiment. I figured that some of the guild are sick of people who think that their creations are so awesome that they don't need fixing, *Cough* Googoo64 *Cough*.

@D: Wow :o I'm so glad I could help you fix these issues, its what I am here to do haha. I am very impressed you actually took heed of this and I am proud I was able to help you fix some issues. Thank you for clarification on his redirection super, I removed my comments because I was making a rather rude assumption. I do feel like in a general MUGEN it would not be so useful as a tool, especially on char's with little to no superpause or other tells to indicate they are doing a beam super. But a cool idea nonetheless.

Well I have been testing the Redirection super on a few characters in my roster such as the Special Operations characters. If you fought against a character with a beam hyper, you tend to know when you can activate Redirection. It's really all about the timing.
#55  January 15, 2014, 07:20:29 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#56  January 15, 2014, 07:21:19 am
#57  January 15, 2014, 11:10:36 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Hey Umezone, I like your feedbacks. They are very helpful. *thumbsup*
Also, I have a question: Do you also review private beta stuff? Because I would like to send you a private beta of mine, which is sitting for quite a while and is waiting for helpful feedback...
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#58  January 15, 2014, 05:39:50 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I could do it, but if you really want comprehensive feedback on technical issues I direct you to people like luis alejandro, erroratu, alex sinigaglia, cybaster, shwa and xan (among many others)
#59  January 15, 2014, 05:52:51 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
Nice reviews here mate, :)
#60  January 15, 2014, 06:29:51 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Thank you.

I finally downloaded "Training" so I could perhaps provide some more useful frame data and whatnot.

Request-wise I got Caliban, Frugal, Luke, possibly Chris but I still want more to do so I always have a nice backlog.