YesNoOk

Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: October COTM candidates!) (Read 81061 times)

Started by Umezono, January 10, 2014, 05:44:48 am
Share this topic:
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: D by D, The Red Cloak)
#61  January 15, 2014, 06:53:57 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#62  January 15, 2014, 07:02:47 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Oh man, Kuuga, its been awhile since I've looked at him, in fact that request is so hype I'll do him next.
#63  January 15, 2014, 11:18:54 pm
  • JNS
  • The One and Only
    • battlecraze.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
Request-wise I got Caliban, Frugal, Luke, possibly Chris but I still want more to do so I always have a nice backlog.
Hold on, when you asked us for Mugen edit ideas on tumblr, I thought you were going to make these edits, not review them. Sadly, Frugal does not exist, but since you want more things for that backlog, how about you look into the character I miserably shat on, Infinite Krauser?
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

玉と碎けよ!
Mugen Things I Did/Battle Craze!!
#64  January 15, 2014, 11:31:36 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#65  January 15, 2014, 11:55:45 pm
  • JNS
  • The One and Only
    • battlecraze.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

玉と碎けよ!
Mugen Things I Did/Battle Craze!!
#66  January 16, 2014, 12:03:09 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69

I'm really curious as to why Dan of all things, despite being an abandoned project, so it would really go down the drain when in fact a review on a character that actually needs improvement would suffice better.
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino
#67  January 16, 2014, 12:13:53 am
  • Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
I would suggest Clone Koa is bretty gud
#68  January 16, 2014, 12:15:15 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Request-wise I got Caliban, Frugal, Luke, possibly Chris but I still want more to do so I always have a nice backlog.
Hold on, when you asked us for Mugen edit ideas on tumblr, I thought you were going to make these edits, not review them. Sadly, Frugal does not exist, but since you want more things for that backlog, how about you look into the character I miserably shat on, Infinite Krauser?
Gonna reject Krauser and go for Daniel if I can

I'm really curious as to why Dan of all things, despite being an abandoned project, so it would really go down the drain when in fact a review on a character that actually needs improvement would suffice better.
Entertainment value is still important!

I would suggest Clone Koa is bretty gud
Sounds interesting, will give a look. Whos it by? Can I get a link?
#69  January 16, 2014, 12:16:27 am
  • tired
Clone Koa

I'd suggest Onodera Ren by the same author, honestly. Entertainment value is kind of a lame excuse to review a character that has no need of being reviewed.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#70  January 16, 2014, 12:19:05 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Well even if it is abandoned, doesnt make any less of candidate for review. These arent intended as real feedback and tbh Im so surpised my D review was that useful. These are more so just essays on the gameplay of a character. So I'm not sure what the problem is with writing one on a dead char. Afaik that luke cage hasnt been touched or discussed in a year lol.
#71  January 16, 2014, 12:24:43 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69

Suit yourself then, but you'll probably be asking yourself questions every 3 seconds, so beware. ;P
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino
#72  January 16, 2014, 12:26:50 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Sounds like a challenge I cant ignore

Clone Koa and Onodera Ren added to possibles

Expect Kuuga or Caliban tonight. Maybe both since Im off work early.
#73  January 16, 2014, 12:28:11 am
  • tired
[stupididea]Maybe throw Daniel, Koa, and Onodera into a triple review bonanza since they're all by the same author?[/stupididea]
#74  January 16, 2014, 12:29:28 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Well are you ready for an 18 paragraph review?!
#75  January 16, 2014, 12:30:31 am
  • tired
Hella.
#76  January 16, 2014, 05:09:25 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
@City_Hunter:

WELCOME TO THE CALIBAN STRATEGY GUIDE:

Caliban by Acey and Blagoy is a Marvel character released for CrusaderCast and boy does he have a lot of problems. I couldn;t get the Training character to work to do frame data on this one (for some reason nothing will show up in Training Mode besides kfm, people of MFG should shoot me a PM so I can figure out how to get it to work) but a good 45 minutes of testing was enough for me to come to an opinion. My first major pet peeve was the fact that Caliban's big port looks nothing at all like the actual sprite and instead resembles a more grimdark, grittier version of him ( and grimdark he is not, this character could more accurately be described as "joylight") It was this:

Something like this is a little pet peeve of mine, because this could very well be some other random incarnation of Caliban but it is definitely not the one I am playing. A cursory check on google and the "marvel wiki" netted me a far better, more fitting picture and tons more like it. I just feel like it was rather lazy to slap this one on. It's only a tiny issue compared to the rest of the character tho.

Blagoy and Acey cribbed multiple sprites for their creation (Zangief is the main base) and did little else besides fit them to Caliban's build and scale. As a result, this character suffers the same lack of originality so many others like it have. The sad part is there are some great ideas in here but little else. The intros and winposes are a good indication of the fluctuation between really original and really fucking lazy. Some of the intros are at least kind of creative: one shows him as his old, frail form (using jill's mvc2 zombie sprites but its still creative) and another has him chase away those kids who Q chased in Third Strike, or trying to catch Apocalypse for whatever reason. Versus females you get the intro I displayed as a gif on the top, though I am extremely creeped out at the way his man-boobs jiggle around. This is the kinda stuff I like, letting me enjoying the personality of the character. One of his winpose has him change into a random outfit which is fucking cool, who knew Caliban was such a fashionista?! The other winposes though are deplorably terrible. They are just Zangief's resprited to look like Caliban. Stuff like THIS robs the character of any sense of self and leaves it a dull edit nobody wants to give the time of day.

Not to mention, the edited spritework is only decent at best. In addition to a couple of rough, phoned in animations, he has some awkward sprites , take for example his crouching HK, where Caliban gives his rendition of the stanky leg:

It seriously does look like he is coming up with his own dance move.

This character feels very beta, unbalanced, lazy and basic among among other things. You can imagine what Blagoy was going for here was MvC-esque gameplay. Maybe he was going for MvC gameplay, but its better to say MvC-esque cause comparing this to any source accurate MvC character is like comparing an apple and a pinecone. For one thing, he does have the zigzag abc combos central to the gameplay. His launcher is close HP and he can superjump and do air combos to follow up. However, on his own he cannot superjump. I am not sure why but he cannot. Then there is the issue of his HK. It has some special properties, at close he will knee you only, at far it is a full kick, but both result in the character being knocked away and wall bounced. You can use the wall bounce to start a basic ABC launcher combo (lp > mp > hp > jump > etc.) however there appears to be leftover code that allows him to superjump right after the HK confirms, as if this was originally intended to be a launcher. However due to the knock away, he cannot do anything after it but jump up. As a result this little bug is the only other way for him to super jump.

Hitbox wise he has a various amount of issues. A lot of is the usual infinite priority stuff that where there is no effort to balance the character so other normals can beat out his. Just straight red that comes out instantly and makes every safe and easy to use and pressure. He also has horrid hitbox placement on many specific moves. This includes his standing MK which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, it appears to be a bunch of random hitboxes stacked on top of eachother like Blagoy was playing CLSN tetris:

His launcher resembles the T block from tetris and looks awful, and his jumping LP has very awkward properties as well:

These are just a few examples of dumb things he did with the hitboxes. In general its this stuff that makes Caliban's basic game so strong. One easy one to do is just c. lp > c. mp > c. hp > mp > hp (far) I guess. He has some pretty errant juggle properties and very random gameplay in general so as a result you can get many weird links and chains off of mixups. More basically, you will look cool even if you are mashing. 10/10

Now let's talk special moves. Before going into individual properties let me start by saying Caliban is boring. His special moves with the exception of Fear are all moves you will see on scores of other DC and Marvel edits. Nothing truly new is brought to the table. I saw essentially some of the same moves on this guy as a Symbiote Wars edit of Venom/T-Hawk called Riot, namely his "Dash Punch" and air-only "Drive Punch." A lot of characters have some sort of variant of the divekick and the charging punch. Especially the bigger ones a la Caliban where authors feel they must take a couple of basics and specials off the original big guys of MvC. The problem with characters like these is they are simply far too derivative, and this may seem harsh, but if Blagoy had tried more stuff like Fear, which is at least unique, it'd be a far more appealing character. The quandary that comes with this is sometimes these guys don't know what they are doing when coding unique and fresh moves, which means despite the fact Fear was a cool concept, it ended up like this:

Fear is performed with qcf + P, and it does a little bit of damage. Caliban shoots forward a ball of energy and on confirm puts the opponent in a helpless state for about ~3-4 seconds. In this state the directionals can be used to move the character anywhere you want around the screen, presumably in front of Caliban. As you can see the hitbox on this thing is just awful, and yes its possible to catch someone with it if they wake up onto its trail. In effect it is possible to do a "meaty" Fear without the ball ever touching them, and if they didnt block that means they are caught for a free combo. Its pretty inexcusable. Fear is your basic way to get people in range of combos or just start them, though it does not count as part of the combo itself unless you cancel into it. For example you can do c. mk > fear > lp > mp > hp > jump > etc. It is a very powerful tool. The only draw back is it is impossible to go into a super off of it, but he has another special for that anyway. However it also has a funny bug; since you can move them anywhere on the screen, you can drag them straight down and half of their body offscreen. It's spooky.

His other extremely good move is the rather generically named Rock Throw which is performed with qcb + p. He picks up a stone disc and throws it at you and it stuns you for about 2 seconds. You can immediately do a super afterwards for the free damage or do a combo of your choice. Since you don't have to take time to position them it is much easier to hit off those bnbs like butter. It allows you to do tons of easy damage, and a combo I don't think is possible with fear as it uses a throw super and you cant combo into at any point; in this case, the throw super IS the combo starter (explained later) and you don't need to worry about setting up the throw because they opponent is stunned. qcb + p > qcbx2+p (only costs one bar of power) > standing hp > jump> mvc2 zigzag combo (lp, lk, mp, mk, hp) does a ton of damage. This is a good example of the broken shit you can do with him.

His other supers are booty sweat. There is his dash punch performed with qcf + K. It is a standard charging special, combos from far hp or crouching hp as well as standing and crouching HK. Thus a useful bnb is abc > qcf + k. It looks lame. So does his air only special, which is basically a divekick called "Drive Punch" where he supermans that ho by diving at you. The dive punch is weird, and hard to connect in air, so it works better simply as a standalone dive kick. It has some use in air combos, and good damage if you do hp > jump > j. hp > staggered air special, meaning you wait just till the guy falls in range. It can connect in air, but can also combo if you meet a falling opponent just as he hits the ground. Here is a cursory picture:

I'll end by talking about the supers as usual. The super BG is fine I guess. All of his supers take one bar of power, one does a custom combo and the other three do extremely varying amounts of damage. The qcf + 2p is "Berserk Slash" and of course straight rips wolverine because hey its a comic book character. He doesn't have ground combos for shit so only use I see for his wolverine copy super is simple shit lp > mp > level 1 or lk > mk > level 1 which can be done off either fear or rock throw. Of note on his Berserk Slash: his far hk which normally knocks you down can combo into his berserk slash. However after the first hit he will fall and it whiffs. His air super, performed in air with qcf + 2p is just a powered up dash punch to the ground so major uses are for punishing missed or random supers from the opponent. Both do dinosaur worthy damage. 

His custom combo/genei jin super, terrifyingly named "Neurotoxin Mental Plague" is useful for faster air combos and bnbs however there are many glitches such as the fact he can combo into his musclebomber off of regular basics but after it hits the combo counter will not go up and stay at the last hit confirm before the super. Below are his Berserk Slash and his Genei Jin:

Finally, his "Muscle Bomber" super is performed with qcbx2 + p and it is literally muscle power from world heroes' super sped up. I didn't take pics cause you have to see it. Like I explained earlier, it causes ground bounce at the end so you can follow up into another combo into probably another super. It does bullshit amounts of damage.

I think my summary can be best summed up by my notes.

"exact same moves on most "big" comic book characters
lacks consistency and coherency, makes finding combos a chore, has no individuality or distinctive features
bare bones of mvc2 and nothing more, moves do not seem to compliment or interact wth eachother.
LAZY"

Thank you. Took me an hour to write this goddamn.

Download Link: http://crusadercast.com/downloads/?sa=view;down=432

Presentation: 2/5

Sprites: 2/5

Sounds: 3/5

Gameplay: 1/5

AI: 2.5/5

Overall: 2.1/5
Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:37:35 am by Umezono
#77  January 16, 2014, 05:15:55 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
LOL @ Caliban doing the "Stanky Leg" dance.
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
Re: Umezono's MUGEN Character Reviews (latest: Caliban by Blagoy & Acey)
#78  January 16, 2014, 05:21:56 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Yeah it's a funny ass sprite.

Shortened a bit, fixed typos, this one clocks in at around 9 paragraphs without picture breaks, its quite a hefty read lol. Will go back and shorten it more.
#79  January 16, 2014, 05:23:59 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
LOL...u be writing OD.
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#80  January 16, 2014, 05:31:18 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I like to write, and I had nothing to do today cause my on-field training at work today was only about 4 hours but I still came in and got off late. So why not enjoy your hobby?

I edited it more and cut out more unnecessary fat.