YesNoOk

Akira Nishitani Speaks (SF2 Director) (Read 152390 times)

Started by felineki, October 07, 2013, 10:30:48 am
Share this topic:
Re: Akira Nishitani Speaks (SF2 Director)
#61  November 13, 2013, 02:40:40 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
Added a couple more tweets, one where Nishitani gives his thought on the long-running "are SF1's Mike and Balrog the same person" controversy, and another where he states the importance that Final Fight's influence had on SF2's development. If SF2 had been made right after SF1, with no Final Fight inbetween as a transition, perhaps it wouldn't have been such a refined and revolutionary game.
#62  November 13, 2013, 04:02:40 am
Final Fight was supposed to be Street Fighter 2 (well SF-89), so good thing they made a new series instead.

Also, I though All About Capcom confirmed that Mike and Boxer weren't the same guy (then again this is Street Fighter canon, half of it will likely be changed once SF5 is made). :S
#63  January 17, 2014, 05:31:36 pm
Added a couple new tweets about unusual pixel aspect ratios and associated graph paper, as well as the difficulties of working with Marvel back in the 90s.
#64  January 17, 2014, 06:39:55 pm
The "fat" appearance actually looked great on them (at least until CvS rolled around). It made them mesh with Marvel's characters perfectly (and made the Marvel characters look the way they should).

Marvel seemed like a pain (heh heh)... Capcom will never have to worry about that again. :P

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#65  January 17, 2014, 06:57:28 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
that's not what fat apparance means.
#66  January 17, 2014, 07:49:43 pm
Reading back at it, I think understand now seeing CPS display specs (explains why I always saw 0.8333 as the X-scale).
#67  January 17, 2014, 08:12:34 pm
this is great
does he ever mention anything about fighting layer
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#68  January 17, 2014, 08:14:14 pm
Nothing about Fighting Layer that I can remember seeing. His anecdotes are mostly about Street Fighter II and Final Fight.
#69  January 17, 2014, 08:47:38 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Reading back at it, I think understand now seeing CPS display specs (explains why I always saw 0.8333 as the X-scale).
I used to love playing capcom and snk games in the arcades back in the late 90s,early 2ks ; once i got a PC i was pretty happily playing snk/neogeo games as they felt very similar to the arcades ; then I started palying capcom's cps2 games and it was awful, it was either having to put up witha  stretched (visually speaking) playing field, like in the arcades the distance while zoning was 10cm and it became 13 on the pc, plus everything looked fat, etc... and teh alternative was having those blurry, not pixel perfect at all graphics.
I think it was about the same during the early cps3 times, it was nor until pcs,etc.. became full HD that upscaling 4/5 became practical ( 4/5 upscaling mean scaling the width a factor of 4 whle scaling the height a factor of 5 , thus being close to 0.833 ratio pixels with a +.33 as opossed to -1.77)
#70  January 18, 2014, 10:12:16 pm
  • Mumbling voice actor reploid
    • Canada
    • electricvoiceboxmedia.com
Man, interesting stuff. Gotta love that twitter exists for purposes like this. I wonder if there are any more interesting tidbits about their relationship with Marvel haha.
#71  January 18, 2015, 02:36:04 pm
#72  January 18, 2015, 03:27:07 pm
    • Argentina
    • matrerog@yahoo.com.ar
Thanks for share, this is really interesting.
#73  January 18, 2015, 04:11:48 pm
Thanks for the link. Also great to see that GSLA is still up. The old Geocities address went down not too long ago and I thought that great resource for developer interviews might have been lost.

I should see about translating some more stuff eventually. One Japanese fan had been doing some really nice articles expanding upon Nishtani's various tweets, but he had to delete them due to copyright complaints from Capcom.

I see that site translated the Vampire Hunter interview fr0m GSLA as well. Awesome!