YesNoOk

SSF2T Akuma by felineki updated 9/20/2015 - Custom+ mode added! (Read 191989 times)

Started by felineki, February 06, 2014, 12:09:36 am
Share this topic:
SSF2T Akuma by felineki updated 9/20/2015 - Custom+ mode added!
#1  February 06, 2014, 12:09:36 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.

My very first Mugen character! I challenged both myself and the Mugen engine to see how far I could go in terms of gameplay accuracy. Great pains were taken to ensure every hitbox, velocity, position, and damage were faithful to the source game. Unfortunately that means he's based on normal speed, so he's pretty slow. I might make a psuedo-turbo version eventually, but given the nature of turbo speeds it's a pretty dicey prospect. I've also taken the effort to do some graphical touchups, including unused frames that should be there but aren't, fixing misordered animations, and cleaning up stray colors.

Right now only the basic mode, as he was playable in arcade SSF2T, is finished. However plans are to eventually add a Shin mode that recreates the CPU boss version's buffs, a Ten mode that recreates the Dreamcast-exclusive Shun Goku Satsu-equipped version (this is going to be a pain, I have no experience with Dreamcast emulation), a Custom mode that adds a few extra moves from the Alpha series that can be recreated using his SF2 spriteset, and a possible mystery bonus mode.

This is my first character, so please give feedback! I'd love to know what I've done right, what I could do better, or what I've done wrong.

Download Link
Re: SSF2T Akuma by felineki released 2/5/2014
#2  February 06, 2014, 12:56:44 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Might want to add a note in the OP that he's 1.1 exclusive.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#3  February 06, 2014, 12:59:22 am
Okay, done.
#4  February 06, 2014, 01:04:39 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
OMG I Am hype over a release!!! O_O I'll have to install mugen on my messed up pc just for this! Note I won't be able to test sound. Do you already have what you need to emulate the DC version?

A SSF2T HD version might be neat too. With the lo res sprites of course
#5  February 06, 2014, 01:12:17 am
I did get the DC version running in a an emulator, but the lack of an emulator pause and frame advance means data collection will be pretty difficult. I'll also need to break out ArtMoney again (been a long time since I used that, I've been using the MAME memory viewer instead).

An HD Remix version might be interesting, but as far as I know there's no good way to rip accurate data for it like MAME and such let you do for the arcade version.
#6  February 06, 2014, 02:37:47 am
  • "Let Us Cling Together."

He stays down after being knocked down with OmegaPsycho's SSFXT Terry.
#7  February 06, 2014, 03:12:16 am
Ah, managed to make a stupid mistake in his custom wakeup handling. Should be fixed now, please redownload.
#8  February 06, 2014, 03:27:27 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
May I ask why MUGEN 1.1?
#9  February 06, 2014, 12:19:22 pm
No real reason other than it's the latest version. Does it have any issues compared to 1.0?
#10  February 06, 2014, 04:21:51 pm
Currently working on gathering data for the Shin version, with the help of a patch by a hacker on 2ch that makes him playable. There are a lot of differences aside from the double Zanku Hadouken, some of his normals even have slightly different hitboxes.
#11  February 06, 2014, 08:04:45 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
So........ Every single hitdef (or, most of them if not all) includes a p2stateno that puts opponents into custom hit state? Doesn't sound like a good idea. :(

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#12  February 06, 2014, 10:11:28 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
Any time another Akuma is released I'm always hyped!  Awesome bro, simply awesome!
#13  February 06, 2014, 10:15:58 pm
    • USA
So........ Every single hitdef (or, most of them if not all) includes a p2stateno that puts opponents into custom hit state? Doesn't sound like a good idea. :(

It's the price to pay for perfect felineki accuracy. You should be fine as long as you're not using a character with transformations. He's what I would be in terms of a mugen coder if I weren't such a lazy ass and gave some fucks about super perfect accuracy.
#14  February 07, 2014, 12:21:08 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
No real reason other than it's the latest version. Does it have any issues compared to 1.0?

Incorrect portrait palettes, among other annoying things. I just don't see why Gouki would need to use anything 1.1-exclusive, which is why I ask what the point is.
#15  February 07, 2014, 12:27:20 am
TargetState, actually. I had initially been using p2stateno, but that lead to some problems so I switched to TargetState.

Incorrect portrait palettes, among other annoying things. I just don't see why Gouki would need to use anything 1.1-exclusive, which is why I ask what the point is.
Well, no real reason other than most of the work was done after 1.1 had been released so I thought it wouldn't hurt to be up to date.
#16  February 07, 2014, 12:28:58 am
  • Vae Victus!
    • USA
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/lord-kains-small-portraits-140580.0.html
also considering that everybody pretty much uses 1.0 at least most of uses it more than 1.1 since its more stable, but at the end its your character you are pleased to do as you like, other than that thank you for this!
"Given the choice; whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the Fates for another throw a better throw against one's destiny... what was a king to do?
#17  February 07, 2014, 12:42:41 am
I suppose I could downgrade him to the 1.0 standard, I don't think much would need to be changed.
#18  February 07, 2014, 02:18:51 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Well yea P2Stateno does create problems, like for those characters that can't be thrown, you wouldn't be able to touch them.

Also, you can still do 100% accuracy on your own characters without the need of TargetState. So, your Akuma vs. your Akuma would still play like they did in the actual game, but when you have Akuma Vs. Kung Fu Man, at least the damages and hitback velocities would still be correct without him going into a custom hit state provided with a targetstate controller.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
Re: SSF2T Akuma by felineki updated 2/7/2014
#19  February 08, 2014, 12:40:46 am
Update: Switched to Mugen 1.0 standards, made a few miscellaneous tweaks, and implemented vomit/blood/sweat effects.
Re: SSF2T Akuma by felineki updated 2/7/2014
#20  February 08, 2014, 05:26:37 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
lol wut