YesNoOk

The greatest hits of character feedback (Read 430717 times)

Started by PotS, May 22, 2009, 11:49:10 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Localcoord is garbage― and several other basics you need to know.
#41  February 09, 2014, 11:41:31 am
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
HD 1270x720 resolution stages WILL LOOK WEIRD on a 640x480 localcoord. You can usually fix this by tweaking the localcoord and bounds.

JZ said:
Localcoord is garbage
Surely thou jest

#42  February 09, 2014, 07:29:31 pm
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
  • Use Training by Stupa to always check your characters's framedata if it's brought up in feedback.
  • Whenever you're using custom states for p2, remember that once the custom states are over, use SelfState, otherwise bugged behaviour will ensue until they are hit or they block.
  • Remember always in MUGEN: "Functionality over Reality", and don't be too detailed with your CLSN boxes.
  • Remember to crop your spritework after adding it in and it's aligned!! You don't want your filesizes to skyrocket.
  • ALWAYS attribute your hitdefs properly! If it's a normal attack, NA; special attack, SA; Hyper attack, HA; If it's a projectile replace A with P, and if it's a throw, replace A with T. And remember to use the correct type of stance, be it S for standing, C for crouching, A for aerial.
  • This also extends to statetype, otherwise strange things will happen if your character is hit.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

Now in bullet point format!!
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino
Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:42:25 pm by Yagami Yuu
#43  February 09, 2014, 07:35:42 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#44  February 09, 2014, 07:36:27 pm
  • For honor!
Iroha stripped for me
#45  February 09, 2014, 07:39:40 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Yeah so much I even quote it in my reviews.
#46  February 09, 2014, 07:44:05 pm
  • For honor!
I wish people would quote "embrace variables" because that is one of the biggest hurdles to creators apparently.

You limit yourself so badly when you try to avoid variables. When you get over your fear of the "complexity" (None at all unless you want to make it so) of variables, you will find yourself in a better place: A beautiful world where coding is actually fun.
Iroha stripped for me
#47  February 09, 2014, 07:48:44 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
When you get over your fear of the "complexity" (None at all unless you want to make it so) of variables, you will find yourself in a better place: A beautiful world where coding is actually fun.

Oddly enough. I know that feels.
#48  February 09, 2014, 07:49:36 pm
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
I wish people would quote "embrace variables" because that is one of the biggest hurdles to creators apparently.

You limit yourself so badly when you try to avoid variables. When you get over your fear of the "complexity" (None at all unless you want to make it so) of variables, you will find yourself in a better place: A beautiful world where coding is actually fun.

The most questions I get from my friends come from variables as well... From what I see it's the freedom variables give, but there's nothing really scary about them, for the most they get reset at the beginning of a round and it's as easy to work with them just as every other trigger, the only change is that you have full control over them.

I say the best way to start with variables could be simple things such as number of times this attack animation has repeated for a sort of a looping attack. If it has played 9 times, change to the final hit. Or a kind of timer, or charging attacks, hell even simple silly things such as intro selector.
#49  February 09, 2014, 07:56:53 pm
    • USA
That's one thing people should keep in mind as well. I actually set them to not to automatically reset in the constants. I'd rather handle that by myself by just resetting the ones I want via varsets inside state 5900.
#50  February 09, 2014, 08:02:31 pm
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
That's one thing people should keep in mind as well. I actually set them to not to automatically reset in the constants. I'd rather handle that by myself by just resetting the ones I want via varsets inside state 5900.

VarRangeSet and Varsets will always be your friend! There's also something to keep in mind with variables, since they only have numbered names, a good practice is to KEEP YOUR VARIABLES ORDERED AND ALWAYS HAVING TRACK OF WHAT THEY DO, every good coder does this and when you look at their CNS and ST files, you will most likely see the variables listed.
Also whenever your variables are failing, make sure to use DisplayToClipboard, it helps a ton to debug them, to see when they are not activating properly and things.

An unrelated note, whenever you're making characters extend too much outside of their common range, remember to interest yourself for, and use this controller, otherwise things could happen such as having the attack pass through the opponent, it happens quite frequently to all of us:

[State Pls use me]
type = Width
trigger1 =
player = 0,0

This will change the pushbar for an attack for 1 tick:

player = playwidth_front, playwidth_back (int)
    Sets the player width in front and behind. Player width determines
    how close the player can get to other players. These parameters
    default to 0,0 if omitted.

For an applied example: let's say the character extends a red CLSN 20 pixels to the right for his attack in his animation frame 5, and there's blue CLSN behind that red box, a code you could write is:

[State Gettin Wider]
type = Width
trigger1 = AnimelemTime(5)>=0 && AnimelemTime(6)<0
player = 20,0 ;Extend bar 20 pixels to the right, 0 pixels to the left
ignorehitpause = 1
Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:16:25 pm by Yagami Yuu
#51  February 09, 2014, 08:08:07 pm
  • For honor!
Width is definitely an underestimated stctrl
Iroha stripped for me
#52  February 09, 2014, 08:11:34 pm
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
Resetting the character to an idle statetype is very important once the active frames of a move are over.

If you forget to do this they will make the opponent attempt to block attacks even when the character is already idle. This would also create huge, fake counter windows and put them at a disadvantage.

Just make sure to include a statypeset and modify it accordingly!

[State 200, StateTypeSet]
type = StateTypeSet
trigger1 = AnimElem = 3 ;<= Usually the very next frame after the last CLSN1 appears.
movetype = I
#53  February 09, 2014, 08:12:22 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Play lots of fighting games. Read about how they work. Try and learn why some things are done the way they are, and always keep testing. Test often, test against a wide variety of characters, and test stuff in bunch of different situations. I can't stress the testing stuff enough.

Posted: February 09, 2014, 08:13:25 pm
testing
#54  February 09, 2014, 08:20:45 pm
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
Play lots of fighting games.

THIS, this one little gem is mostly forgotten around many places, hell, some people even take it negatively and react as if they are told to become fighting game experts, the true thing is that it's not to become an expert in the matter, but it's all to at least get the correct feel and learn the do and don'ts of a fighting game. It also helps to spark the interest for creating a character like these games you play.

Also gonna put this quote Arpa has in his sig from Vans, which is really important and should always be present in any of us. if your character comes from a game, or you want to make an X styled character, have this in mind:
I'm also under the impression that people keep neglecting data from the game, do you guys know how PotS made his original characters? He actually studied every single game he referenced, down to the core. Doing this properly requires understanding how the original system was made, not just winging it.
#55  February 09, 2014, 08:24:05 pm
Small little thing that can be categorized with something above but I feel is necessary to mention.

Lie.down time... cannot stress this enough.
Don't leave it at 60... fighting games do not work that way.
#56  February 09, 2014, 08:26:15 pm
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
I got also reminded of something, avoid using Trip type for attacks that you could still combo out of and try to custom state as many ground bounces as you can, as it activates fall.defence_up; something that is for the most, not really intended behaviour, why? It scales damage down like hell, and most people will leave it at 50.
#57  February 09, 2014, 08:26:28 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Never be afraid to look to other characters' coding for inspiration and help.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#58  February 09, 2014, 08:27:24 pm
  • For honor!
Iroha stripped for me
#59  February 09, 2014, 08:28:28 pm
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
Small little thing that can be categorized with something above but I feel is necessary to mention.

Lie.down time... cannot stress this enough.
Don't leave it at 60... fighting games do not work that way.

Which time would you reccommend, for future releases and such?
#60  February 09, 2014, 08:32:16 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/